Controversial Hakuki - the most overrated general in Kingdom community?

This is a topic about the manga version of Hakuki, NOT the historical general Bai Qi who was an absolute monster. But this is where my problem lies, because many people don't seem to differenciate between the two and often try to put Hakuki on a pedestal he doesn't quite deserve due to historical figure he is based on. So I'll go through few arguements I think are worth pointing out to prove my point.

1. Hakuki's Chu campaign most likely never happened in the manga.

Either that or it simply wasn't as devastating as it was in history. Bai Qi's campaign was able to conquer the capitol of Chu resulting in a massive humiliation of their state and making this portion of land a permanent region of Qin. And historically king Sho's reign already made Qin the biggest player even before Eisei took the throne. However, Kingdom manga paints a different picture. It presents state of Chu as the strongest state that covers half of the entire Central Plains with their generals often looking at other kingdoms (including Qin) as inferior. Kanmei also mentioned that excluding Oukotsu's failed invasion Chu and Qin never fought each other in the last 20-30 years. While Bai Qi's invasion technically happened before that it's hard for me to think Chu being as confident and proud as they are if they suffered such a big blow in the past plus Chu being widely considered the strongest.

2. The massacre of 400,000 war prisoners was a mistake.

I would argue that Hara presents Hakuki's massacre not only as bad from a moral standpoint, but also as a strategical blunder that in the long run became more of a problem then a benefit for Qin. We can deduce this based on Kanki's massacre which somewhat mirrors it. After Kanki kills 100,000 prisoners we see how people of Zhao are willing to go to far greater length in order to stop Qin. They develop strategies where they jump from a wall in order to take Qin soldiers with them, they poison their own wells to trap them and fight more ferociously then ever which eventually leads to Kanki's downfall. We also see that with the character of Mangoku who is a monster of Qin's own making.

3. Hakuki was countering Renpa with soft tactics.

I'm bringing this up due to some misunderstanding of quotes from the manga. Around the time of Sanyou campaign Riboku stated that no one in China can defeat Renpa in direct clash. However, prieviously we found out that Hakuki was a man that Renpa found peticularily troublesome and who was constantly countering Renpa. Which makes some people believe that due to this Hakuki is superior to everyone alive in this generation. However, the "direct clash" is an important detail, since Hakuki's style seem to focus on avoiding it and traping enemies when they are exposed or overconfident.

^nothing in this quote suggest that Hakuki was superior to Renpa in direct clash.

4. His stats.

Hakuki's statistics from guidebook 3 are as follows:

Strength: 86
Leadership: 92
Knowledge: 99

This gives a picture of a commander who was extremly talented strategist and tactician, but not as versitile as some other great generals we see in the series. His low strength suggest that using himself as a piece on the board wouldn't lead to any outstanding results even tho he can lead from the front. Leadership is a stat that is probably the most open to interpretation, but it's also surprisingly low for a commander of this caliber.

5. New Qin Six will be superior to him.

Yes, all of them. Or at least the final version of new Q6 at their peak, the one that will be responsible for finishing the conquest. This is something that people seem to forget, but the manga already gave us an answer to this as far back as Sanyou.

The theme of current generation surpassing the old was always present in the series with things like Riboku becoming the best Great Heaven in history, Gohoumei surpassing Reiou etc. But here Renpa directly states that them achieving the unification will be the definitive proof of superiority over old generation.

So with all that said, where do I think Hakuki ranks? I believe he was in fact among the best of his era, however he was not tier above his peers like Ouki, Kyou, Koshou, but more so their equal, even if he was the most acomplished of the group.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Agree and disagree. Yes Hakuki is overrated by many on here who try to use his historical feats to overrate the manga version of him. But I also disagree with a couple of the points you made. So some points:

1. Renpa calling Hakuki the most troublesome of the Qin 6 is basically confirmation that he was the strongest of them. Not by a huge margin probably but the best of them.

What is interesting though is Hara introducing the “rumor” that Ouki was actually the strongest of the old Qin 6 despite historically Ouki being a pretty standard Great General. It just goes to show that the manga and actual history are two different animals.

2. Hardcore agree about Chouhei being a long term strategic blunder in the manga. Historically Chouhei probably was a core reason why Zhao fell when it did, as they never recovered from the manpower that Hakuki took from them. Manga wise, Hara has always stressed that the quality of people fighting a battle is far more important than the number of opponents, and Hakuki basically hardcore strengthened Zhao by invigorating her people with hatred for Qin. And Kanki did the exact same thing, their actions grand-scheme undoubtedly made unification a much harder task.

Which matches up with the themes Hara is trying to communicate. War in Kingdom is bad thing, very few people truly love war, even the best of all time like the Qin 6 fought to explicitly end the warring states era and achieve peace through unification. And Chouhei was the narrative culmination of the hatred created by the era.

3. Stats are always bullshit. Like sure, stats when we have no feats but I think we can all agree Hakuki should have higher stats lol. I almost think someone else entirely writes Hara’s stats and Hara just takes credit for them because Young Jump holds a gun to his head lol, there’s no way Hara is really thinking about these stats at all.

Nice thread
Strongest of the old Qin6 probably and maybe top 5 or 3 best generals ever but stop using historical non canon feats to put him above everyone
Renpa is a G and Ouki was a fraud in history but that doesn't stop them from being equal in the manga

Stats are always bullshit. Like sure, stats when we have no feats but I think we can all agree Hakuki should have higher stats lol.
Thats what I'm saying. He should have higher stats because?

The manga never adressed how good of a fighter he was or how well he could handle morale and such. Even when Renpa was hyping him up he was mainly saying how good Hakuki was at avoiding traps and playing cat and mouse games which falls under knowledge stat.

86 strength is at least good enough to consider him a warrior so it's not like it contradicts the statement of Koshou being the only non-fighter in the group.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Don't think it matters much, since Hakuki would avoid such situations at all costs.
Bro look me in the eyes and tell me this kid:

Would beat this guy in a 1v1:

Even if Jin’s 92 is meant to represent his archery which is unlikely as characters like Kyou En have a dedicated archery stat, there’s just no fucking way lmfao. I can’t believe I even need to say this, but Hakuki would one shot Jin casually.

Yet Jin has a 92 in strength while Hakuki has an 86. Absolutely wrong.

And I love how you also dodged Jin having a higher strength stat than Shouheikun, Akou, and Kaishibou lol. Jin would get humiliated by Suugen in a fight let alone guys like this.

Bro look me in the eyes and tell me this kid:

Would beat this guy in a 1v1:

Even if Jin’s 92 is meant to represent his archery which is unlikely as characters like Kyou En have a dedicated archery stat, there’s just no fucking way lmfao. I can’t believe I even need to say this, but Hakuki would one shot Jin casually.

Yet Jin has a 92 in strength while Hakuki has an 86. Absolutely wrong.

And I love how you also dodged Jin having a higher strength stat than Shouheikun, Akou, and Kaishibou lol. Jin would get humiliated by Suugen in a fight let alone guys like this.
You realize that size is not always an indication of martial might?

Makou was a giant ass dude who was towering over Ousen. Guess what, he was also 86 who died like a clown. Kanmei had an enitre unit of giant soldiers and they got turned into pulp.

On the opposite end you have small people such as Shin, Ouhon, Rinko or Shiyuu girls that can easily take out warriors twice as large as them.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
You realize that size is not always an indication of martial might?
It has nothing to do with size. Hakuki was a martial Qin 6 GG who devoted himself to battle day and night and personally battled against the greatest generals of his era.

Jin is a 12 year old child who’s never even held a sword before. How is this even a question lol.

Makou was a giant ass dude who was towering over Ousen. Guess what, he was also 86 who died like a clown.
He wasn’t even holding a weapon when he died. He got stabbed through the throat when he was fully off guard. We have no idea what Makou was capable of martially.

Are you going to tell me with a straight face you think the likes of Shouheikun and Hakuki lose a 1v1 to Jin?

It has nothing to do with size. Hakuki was a martial Qin 6 GG who devoted himself to battle day and night and personally battled against the greatest generals of his era.

Jin is a 12 year old child who’s never even held a sword before. How is this even a question lol.

He wasn’t even holding a weapon when he died. He got stabbed through the throat when he was fully off guard. We have no idea what Makou was capable of martially.

Are you going to tell me with a straight face you think the likes of Shouheikun and Hakuki lose a 1v1 to Jin?
Hakuki was a great general who was primarily known for his strategy and soft warfare. This was always what his hype revolved around. Nothing in the series says that he was able to match martial beasts in a duel or that he slayed anyone noteworthy.

On the other hand Jin is a guy who's archery was stated to be on the same level as 10 Bows of China. He is literally one of the best masters of bow we've seen in the entire series that actually shown amazing feats with the weapon. I really don't understand why are you trying to belittle him, when he's obviously a top tier sniper.

Also he is the older brother, so there's no way he is 12.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Hakuki was a great general who was primarily known for his strategy and soft warfare. This was always what his hype revolved around. Nothing in the series says that he was able to match martial beasts in a duel or that he slayed anyone noteworthy.
Completely wrong. I did an entire thread on this in the past.

Hakuki built his legend on martial prowess:

He is constantly drawn as a raging lunatic:

He is a huge muscular beast the same size as Ouki:

This was his intro panel:

Hakuki was 100% a martial general and everything we know about him screams that. Renpa stating that he could not bait Hakuki doesn’t mean Hakuki was a strategist or that he never fought, it means Renpa couldn’t bait him lol.

Aight so anyway, it is actually you who has underestimated Jin.

Kyou En had an archery stat of 97, Jin should have a higher strength stat than this if his strength stat is supposed to represent archery.

So even by your own logic the stats are still dogshit lol.

This is the first time I’ve seen a Kingdom fan so desperately try to convince themselves that Jin as an archer is a bigger battlefield presence than the likes of Shouheikun and Hakuki lmfao. This is what stats do to a mofo.

@MarineHQ you said I was on drugs lol

Hakuki built his legend on martial prowess:
That doesn't contradict him being just a decent warrior with strategy as his primarily weapon.

When the 6GG system is revived it's Hakuki's strategy that is the topic of comparison indicating that this is what he was the most known for.

He is constantly drawn as a raging lunatic:
He is also stated to be the most careful and safe of the bunch and it's pointed out how hiding in natural forts was his trademark. This is more important then some out of the context facial expressions.

He is a huge muscular beast the same size as Ouki:
Again, size arguement doesn't matter, since we have many examples of large dudes that were not all that great fighters and the opposite.

Hakuki was 100% a martial general and everything we know about him screams that. Renpa stating that he could not bait Hakuki doesn’t mean Hakuki was a strategist or that he never fought, it means Renpa couldn’t bait him lol.
I'm not saying Hakuki was only strategist and couldn't fight. I'm saying he was a decently talented warrior who was far from the level of martial beasts like Ouki, Renpa etc. With 86 strength you can still do things like lead a charge or blow away regular soldiers.

Aight so anyway, it is actually you who has underestimated Jin.

Kyou En had an archery stat of 97, Jin should have a higher strength stat than this if his strength stat is supposed to represent archery.

So even by your own logic the stats are still dogshit lol.
It really doesn't matter, since the bow stat idea was scrapped away by Hara. Kyouen's strength stat is 90-91 so on similar level as other top archers including Jin. We don't know what would be Jin's bow stat if it still existed.

This is the first time I’ve seen a Kingdom fan so desperately try to convince themselves that Jin as an archer is a bigger battlefield presence than the likes of Shouheikun and Hakuki lmfao. This is what stats do to a mofo.
??? I never said anything about battlefield presence, just about skill with the weapon. It's really not that hard to imagine that one of the best archers in all of China would be able to snipe those guys under the right circumstances. 1k commander Hakurei killed one of Tou's best vassals and put Shin on the ground with his shot.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
He is also stated to be the most careful and safe of the bunch
No, it was said that he never took risks and was never baited. This is different from “safe” lol

since we have many examples of large dudes that were not all that great fighters and the opposite.
Like who exactly? Every single huge man Hara has drawn has been a warrior to one extent or another.

With 86 strength
I stopped reading here lol.

No, it was said that he never took risks and was never baited. This is different from “safe” lol
:seriously:

Never taking risks is definition of playing careful and safe.

Like who exactly? Every single huge man Hara has drawn has been a warrior to one extent or another.
There is a difference between simply being a warrior and being a top tier warrior. Makou was towering over Ousen, Gaku'ei was also really tall guy. Those guys are capable at fighting, but not martial beasts. Kanmei had an entire unit of 5000 gigantic soldiers, yet they got blown away like a confetti in few moments.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Never taking risks is definition of playing careful and safe.
Not in the context you’re trying to argue, which is that Hakuki wasn’t that great of a warrior because he didn’t take risks. I addressed this misunderstanding in my actual Hakuki thread which you should read.

Picking and choosing which battles to fight =/= playing it safe because you yourself aren’t that great of a warrior. Lol

There is a difference between simply being a warrior and being a top tier warrior. Makou was towering over Ousen, Gaku'ei was also really tall guy. Those guys are capable at fighting, but not martial beasts. Kanmei had an entire unit of 5000 gigantic soldiers, yet they got blown away like a confetti in few moments.
Wait what? How do you know Makou wasn’t a martial beast exactly?

And Gakuei himself was a great fighter, just weaker than Shin.

Kanmei’s elite troops were like, the best in Chu lol…you’re saying they weren’t good fighters because they got one shot by Moubu? Extremely faulty logic lol. Kingdom is a manga where top tier warriors like Oukotsu can still get one shot.

Not in the context you’re trying to argue, which is that Hakuki wasn’t that great of a warrior because he didn’t take risks. I addressed this misunderstanding in my actual Hakuki thread which you should read.

Picking and choosing which battles to fight =/= playing it safe because you yourself aren’t that great of a warrior. Lol
Hakuki's caferefulness wasn't just "picking and choosing battles", it was more then that. I already made an entire paragrath on how Hakuki was runing away from Renpa and luring him into traps or building defensive forts to gain advantage. His entire style was based around soft warfare. That is the reason Renpa found him so troublesome.

^Renpa saying that this sort of cat and mouse game being a norm in all of their battles regardless of circumstances.

Wait what? How do you know Makou wasn’t a martial beast exactly?

And Gakuei himself was a great fighter, just weaker than Shin.
Gakuei and Makou didn't show anything that would put them above the strength that Hara gave them (85-86). Gakuei was literally oneshoted into space. Unless I'm forgeting something their only real fighting feats are against fodder soldiers.

Kanmei’s elite troops were like, the best in Chu lol…you’re saying they weren’t good fighters because they got one shot by Moubu? Extremely faulty logic lol. Kingdom is a manga where top tier warriors like Oukotsu can still get one shot.
I'm saying none of them were martial beasts aka 90+ fighters. Given the scale of the clash most of them were likely killed off by Moubu's soldiers not by Moubu himself. If Kanmei can have an entire unit of giant soldiers that were killed off without any fanfare then big dude like Hakuki not having 90+ stat in strength is not out of the question.

Last edited:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
^Renpa saying that this sort of cat and mouse game being a norm in all of their battles regardless of circumstances.
Okay, so you deliberately ignored the part where Renpa stated that Hakuki countering them was the norm. Yes evasion was part of the norm with Hakuki, as was the counterattack as stated by Renpa.

And it was during the counterattacks that Hakuki likely showed the martial ferocity that is heavily implied by the many times Hara has drawn him looking like a martial maniac.

Look into Hakuki’s screaming, bloodshot eyes and tell me this isn’t the demeanor of a martial madman.

This is fundamentally why Hakuki was such a dangerous general. He, like Renpa, had traits of hardness and softness in war. Softness in the sense that yes, he would evade and bide his time without committing to a huge offensive, and hardness in the sense that he would brutally crush his opponents when the time to strike came. These two are not mutually exclusive traits, Hara already did something similar with Renpa who struck with overwhelming force, but only when the opportunity presented itself.

If you know anything about Hakuki historically, (I don’t even consider this to be a historical spoiler), then you should know that
Hakuki killed over a million people irl and was known as the human butcher. You cannot possibly believe Hara would translate such a ferocious general solely into a calm and reasonable strategist.

It’s like Kyou En said, Hakuki was a genuine monster, both strategically and martially. Sure he is better known for his strategies, I never denied that, but that doesn’t discount every indication we have that Hakuki was a martial monster.

And if you bring up stats again, I’m going to throw up. Lol

Gakuei and Makou didn't show anything that would put them above the strength that Hara gave them (85-86)
I’m going to throw up. Lol

If Kanmei can have an entire unit of giant soldiers that were killed off without any fanfare then big dude like Hakuki not having 90+ stat in strength is not out of the question.
The argument about Hakuki is not solely his size and I’m sure you know that. Numeiyu of Yan is as tall as Shibashou, but Numeiyu isn’t hyped as some sort of 3GH level martial monster because yes, there is more to being a martial beast than size.

The indications that Hakuki was a monstrous warrior is that Hara has drawn him as a valorous commander leading offensives from the front, as well as the fact that Hara has drawn him looking like a bloodlusted maniac screaming as he charges into enemy lines.

Physical size is only a minor aspect of the argument, though of course Hakuki being the same size as Ouki would indicate that he has fighting ability, but we seem to agree size only counts to a certain extent.