General & Others How can anyone stan Shanks?

Like literally, this character reeks self-insert presence all over him
Every big bad writing since Yonko Saga started occurred with Shanks being involved :
  • Red promotion --> ruining an admiral hype just for the sake of a movie about Shanks
  • Kidd oneshotted easily without any fight --> every built-up hype and development about Kidd and new gen ruined just for the sake of Shanks cause "he's the perfect leader" despite being old gen and also he was randomly at elbaf
Other than Nika G5 and fake tensions,
There hasn't been any other bad writing worse than these 2 in the world manga !

All so that Shanks fanboys could go "he's too strong" and buy more manga copies
What did Shanks beating Kidd accomplish? Nothing positive !
Knowing that he's gonna lose to Teach anyway.

There exist characters that you can't be a fan of, and Shanks is part of those characters

@RayanOO @TheAncientCenturion @Tyki_Mikk
I like Shanks because he has a certain presence that other characters don't really have in One Piece.
The same reason I loved Minato from Naruto.

I like characters that don't show up often, but when they do, they have a big impact.
That's all there is to it.

I don't really think Shanks ruined Midd. Midd said himself that he values strength above everything, and that if you can't cut it in the New World you deserve to be destroyed. (It's the panel where they've strung up/crucified a few pirates in the New World, probably know which one I mean.) Just as Midd seems to have tortured and murdered many in his own path.

His arc ended fine by being shown he doesn't have what it takes, and if Midd is consistent with his own reasoning, he'd be okay with that. He didn't get much in the way of development in the first place, other than a bit of subplot that told us he sees Killer as his friend as well as his partner.

It definitely has very annoying implications about Big Mom, but imo she got ruined even before the Law and Midd fight anyway, and Oda clearly has no intentions to make powerscaling that comprehensive in general.

How can anyone be illiterate enough to think shanks is a superman-type good guy and not a morally gray criminal
Post automatically merged:

Really?
What depth does Shanks have? He's literally just a saint. He's a good guy. He's supposed to be praised and loved by everyone. He has nothing besides that.
Tell me one thing that makes him deep, because as far as I know literally all we see him do is be strong, be nice and help weak people. That's all he's done.
It's like Oda's daughter wrote the character for him, there's nothing deep or complex about him at all.
Like this guy. What manga are you reading lmao

Really?
What depth does Shanks have? He's literally just a saint. He's a good guy. He's supposed to be praised and loved by everyone. He has nothing besides that.
Tell me one thing that makes him deep, because as far as I know literally all we see him do is be strong, be nice and help weak people. That's all he's done.
It's like Oda's daughter wrote the character for him, there's nothing deep or complex about him at all.
1. We still dont even know what is his goal or his dream. We dont know what happened to him after the parting of roger crew. We still dont know the relationship with his family. Obviously there's something deep in the character that's good, but he has to deal with the fact that he comes from a family of monsters. Also: Oda sometimes make we think he is a gray character: like when he talked with the gorosei, or when he said he gonna steal the one piece or when he destroyed barto crew

2. I think some of yall are just being unfair. I could simply say that Mihawk, Rayleigh, Roger and some other characters doesnt have any depth. "Roger is just the paradigm that the protagonist wants to achieve and nothing more" or "Mihawk is just a cool guy and nothing more". But we simply know so little about them. So I won't say that

3. Complex characters doesnt necessarily means good characters. There are some good characters that are not complex and some bad characters that are complex

1. We still dont even know what is his goal or his dream. We dont know what happened to him after the parting of roger crew. We still dont know the relationship with his family. Obviously there's something deep in the character that's good, but he has to deal with the fact that he comes from a family of monsters. Also: Oda sometimes make we think he is a gray character: like when he talked with the gorosei, or when he said he gonna steal the one piece or when he destroyed barto crew

2. I think some of yall are just being unfair. I could simply say that Mihawk, Rayleigh, Roger and some other characters doesnt have any depth. "Roger is just the paradigm that the protagonist wants to achieve and nothing more" or "Mihawk is just a cool guy and nothing more". But we simply know so little about them. So I won't say that

3. Complex characters doesnt necessarily means good characters. There are some good characters that are not complex and some bad characters that are complex
I was just a little pissed last night, I didn't really mean all that. I don't even hate Shanks or anything. but I do still believe he's a little bland.
But I guess you're right, he's not that bad, and we don't know a lot about him, but I don't think I'll ever really like him even if he gets some really good development down the line. He's just not my cup of tea.

I was just a little pissed last night, I didn't really mean all that. I don't even hate Shanks or anything. but I do still believe he's a little bland.
But I guess you're right, he's not that bad, and we don't know a lot about him, but I don't think I'll ever really like him even if he gets some really good development down the line. He's just not my cup of tea.
It's alrighty,

Do you think Shanks will come to Elbaf?,

I could definitely see it happening tbh
I see this mainly focusing on Luffy, Urouge, Loki and the rest of the giants, though/
Hehe what about Kidd and Law and Usopp =p,

But yeah, you know, I would like to post about this, I think it's good to remember that, the theories of Shanks fighting Luffy, or not fighting Luffy, and of Shankd fighting BlackBeard, or of anyone being the final villain, or of how we will visit the islands, in what order, and what islands, are all theories, who knows, Coby could be final villain, BlackBeard could, Imu, some holy knight, Shanks, Kidd, Dragon, someone we don't know about yet, we really don't know, and that's true for a lot of things like almost everything if not everything,

There are some good theories, but they are theories, nothing is sst in stone until it happens, and that makes me so excited to see that! =],

Look at this. Well. You're at fault here for jerking him off for years. Did ya think Shanks fan would be out here defending Kaido's and Big Mom's PL after they were taken down ?
Lmao. First thing they did is go all out on them
:suresure:
I m not a fan of Shanks, I've always stood against any Shanks wank that puts him above people he s not above of.

so your comment is unnecessary

Shanks is simply a bad character
There's nothing that will change that even if we know about his secrets or true goals

He's still gonna be used as plot device and for fanservice

Kizaruber Eats

"To live, would be an awfully grand adventure."
β€Ž
Pre TS Shanks was really well written, admirable and likeable. He helped make One Piece what it is was for me, why I fell in love with it so much back then.

I really like his relationship with Roger and Buggy but I really don't like the direction Oda has gone with him generally and how he's lost his fun side a lot now, is way more serious and self righteous.

Despite all my immense slander of him, I actually glazed Shanks HARD back in the day and did for almost 2 decades now, he was my fave along with Mihawk, Sanji, Brook, Luffy, Zoro, Chopper and Robin. Well the whole SHs even really. I loved them all.

But post TS the SHs and Shanks have really changed for the far worse and I will stand by that forever.

I love this Shanks and I always will, he reminded me of awesome characters like Iruka, Kakashi, Gai, Jiraiya, Mustang, Hughes and other positive role models, especially for boys, a man's man type character. He was someone I really wanted to be like growing up.

This is his best moment for me, aside from him saving Luffy in the beginning ofc, I felt Oda really put his heart and soul into this:

This made really look up to Shanks, Oda and One Piece especially. I love when Oda talks about positive masculinity but also being an adult and dealing with emotions in this way, growing up and embracing pain, fear, change, loss etc.

As much as I hate what happened with Kidd and Bartolomeo, Shanks has stayed true to his character from the beginning for the most part at least. I absolute hate him going to the Gorosei and whatever he discussed and tried to bargain and reason with them and even for stopping Kaido going to Marineford too but I will have some faith (not a lot though) that this is all part of some grand plan of Oda's ofc and Shanks wlll be justified in the end (ends justify the means or w/e). A lot of people believe Shanks to be a diplomatic balancer type, maybe a gatekeeper (i almost said fatekeeper heh) and I can believe that too.

Shanks tries to avoid violence and even though he could have killed Kidd and his crew directly and same with Barto and co, he didn't. He still showed some mercy. So he's not entirely awful either /s.

Seriously though, for what its worth too, Roo/Roux still gave us one of the most amazing scenes in the series when he shot that bandit dead. It made me think, "HOLY SHIT THIS SERIES AINT FUCKING AROUND!" and take it much more seriously immediately. Shanks and his crew add a lot of gravitas, grounding, a sense of "realism" to the series and in such an abstract and constantly escalating and thus inflated and bloated series, I'm growing to kind of respect and understand how "simple/basic" his crew are, more like traditional pirates and such.

It's no coincidence the series feels more like a pirate series with the story focusing on him and Blackbeard and their crews too. Pirates matter most in this series and thats how it should always be. That's why I still have some hope for Roger Pirates and especially Xebec and Rocks Pirates now too.

No matter how I feel about Shanks now, including post Film Red and how he keeps ducking Blackbeard and Luffy and Yasopp ducking seeing his own son too, I still deeply love and respect him and his crew from back in the day and I will never truly hate them as much as I claim I do in moments of salt/rage/anguish or w/e.

I do think Oda has made him too "bland" post TS but he's slowly adding nuance to Shanks and his crew too now finally. Film Red did help with that somewhat as well as those nice filler scenes in the anime with Uta and Kid Luffy with Beckman and such.

I know regardless, when the story does FINALLY focus on these constantly elusive, moby dickteasing bastards, it will really get hype, nostalgic and peak again and it's just struggling with the wait and running out for patience for it.

At least we're gradually getting a lot more screentime and such for him and his crew now but we need much more too. I really was excited for Shanks' arc after Wano FINALLY, but god Oda is really toying with us even having Shanks at Elbaf but just leaving, despite SO MANY of us expecting it to be his territory and arc and Kidd going to Elbaf instead when the SHs were meant to go there FIRST! Sigh. Kidd was meant to go to Egghead too. But oh well, que sera sera, its too late now ofc. Whats done is done.

I always loved this about Shanks too, he was very cool and relatable to me, I always really cared for my friends since my friends in my childhood really stood up for and protected me when nobody else did and thus that made me determined to try and stand up for others, even though its not really done it yet still, it takes a LOT of bravery to do so and thus a lot of risk and thus something I lack and cannot take a chance on as I too am also a coward ironically.

Shanks is a lot blander to me post TS but I will give Oda chance to cook with him, Oda has proven in the past few years he can still cook and deliver and I seriously doubt he won't give us anything less than the best for his own glorious favourites Shanks and Buggy too. They are far too important. Plus that backstory of Oden with seeing the Roger Pirates and thus kid Buggy and Shanks was really nice, especially the emotional parts and thus the infamous Roger laughing panel.

Since Lodestar is the final island before Laugh Tale, the one where all routes to the One Piece and LT supposedly converge on, it would be fittting for Mr Gatekeeper/Balancer/Ultimate Tester or w/e to be waiting there and not letting just anyone get to it.

I think we will get a battle royale on Lodestar or Laugh Tale itself, I REALLY need to see Shanks and Buggy go there since they missed out on it too and that EXTREMELY emotional moment of them finaly seeing the One Piece where the ghosts of Roger, Whitebeard, Oden, Ace etc will probably/hopefully appear as Shanks, Buggy, Luffy, the SHs and their crews celebrate finding the One Piece together.

Idk how, but I'd love Brook to reunite with Laboon there and summon the Rumbar Pirates together including Yorki (if hes not alive somehow lmao) and have the GRANDEST reunion and celebration ever! Oda did say recently he wanted the BIGGEST party/celebration for the finale of One Piece and he didn't want anyone to die and miss out on it IIRC so lets hope!
(RIP the characters who have actually died lately though lmao, sigh but hey at least we're actually getting deaths in the present and not just in flashbacks!)

If I'm being truly honest, nothing else matters (cue metallica) to me than seeing Buggy and Shanks reach Laugh Tale and get the One Piece. Well aside from Zoro vs Mihawk too and Brook reuniting with Laboon and such, but you get the idea!

God this scene was AMAZING too!:

Very underrated/overhated film but that INCREDIBLE, POWERFUL, UNREAL cover of Nothing Else Matters for it REALLY helped a lot too and thus that scene too! It feels very Pirates of the Carribean in its prime but also something that could happen in One Piece too especially to the Blackbeard Pirates imo! Or maybe some historic crew, maybe like some Skypeian type lore? Maybe that crew whose ship fell from the sky before Skypeia? Although I think they were the one sentenced to floating on the clouds forever IIRC? That divine Skypeia punishment?

I'm honestly tempted to put out a fanfic of Buggy and Shanks finding the One Piece with Luffy...in fact fuck it, I'll do it now!

I'm gonna make a seperate thread for it though ofc! Posting it now!

Last edited: