General & Others How Does Oda’s Art compare to Kishi, Kubo & Toriyama?

Where would you rank Oda’s art among the 4?

• Total voters
Tbh, I like Kubo's style the most, but he does suffer from "those same 6 faces" syndrome sometimes.
I prefer Oda over Kishi, although I really dislike Nika and cartoonish fights, but I like weird quirky world Oda is drawing.
Not a fan of DBZ, tried reading it, dropped out after first couple if chapters.

I will always say that regardless of we think of his character design, Oda's art has the most personality and is the most dynamic out of the big three, it's really a shame that his panelling is so messy/bleh (direct consequence of the plot being so busy). But when he wants he can deliver some satisfying spreads

lol at calling toriyama art basic when all modern shonen are derivative in a way or another of his artwork, this is what happens when midwits are allowed to speak

Last edited:
Pretty much the best metrics an artist can aim for is memorable character design and instantly recognisable style. I think Oda beats the others here in those regards.

I know this is a One piece forum so delusion is bound to occur but you can't seriously be this delusional to claim Odas art style is more recognisable than Toriyamas Dragon ball art style, that is the peak of the peakest of delusions.

And Kishis too is instantly recognisable.
Post automatically merged:

That shit is horrible and easily the weakest of the four here, being the first =/= being the best, in reality the opposite is almost always the case.

I don't think you understand how being first works, to be first that means you've beaten all others and therefore the actual best, if the others you seem better weren't able to become first then tgst means they weren't good enough.

And Objectively speaking without contest Odas art style is the trashiest of all since years now without contest.

There's a reason why one piece was the most easily dropped manga too even if it's so popular.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand how being first works, to be first that means you've beaten all others and therefore the actual best, if the others you seem better weren't able to become first then tgst means they weren't good enough.

And Objectively speaking without contest Odas art style is the trashiest of all since years now without contest.

There's a reason why one piece was the most easily dropped manga too even if it's so popular.
First chronologically not first place ranking you fucking brainlet:lawsigh:

Objectively Toriyama's art is the most bland, basic shit out of these four and it's not even a contest

Each one offers something so different it is really hard to determine a ranking in my opinion. If I had to rank them I guess it would go like this:

Kubo - Amazing character designs, cool outfits and really clean looking abilities. I know Kubo has reasons for a dismissing backgrounds, but this would still be my only real gripe with his artwork.

Oda - some of the most creative character designs and has the best backgrounds and landscapes in my opinion. His level of detail for settings especially in the earlier parts of One Piece are incredible.

Toriyama - I think nostalgia plays a huge role for me, his work is consistent for the most part but I feel it doesn't have the same level of depth as the other artists. Possibly because of the generation it was drawn in.

Kishimoto - Characters all feel similar to me and his art is good but nothing incredibly unique, in my opinion Kishimoto is a great all round artist.

I hate Oda's post-TS art and panelling. It's honestly atrocious in my eyes. Everything is crammed and cluttered. Most panels are incredibly zoomed out, and there's always a million random objects in the background of every panel. I also feel like Oda uses dirt/scratches on character bodies way too frequently and excessively. I suppose this applies mostly starting in Wano tbf.

I wouldn't be mad at someone saying pre-TS One Piece art clears the rest of these though.
Oda's pre ts artstyle was incredible and the panels so beautifully clean. The cluttering post ts is a real problem for my eyes, I barely see what's going on and to make matter worse, the individual characters are just not well drawn in many of the normal panels (unlike colorspreads that he obviously puts more time in). There's a meme that compares pre ts and post ts with a lot of reaction faces and other stuff added to the background, it's hilarious because it's 1000% true.