Character Discussion How important is strength when it comes to picking Favorite Characters?

Personally, How important is it for your Favorite character to be strong?

• Total voters
Think about your favorite characters but take away their strength, are they still your favorite? Depending on who you like this could be an easy question to answer but they're certain characters who are who they are because of their strength.

I chose Zoro, because he has a very good story, the character becomes stronger through effort and fights.

Last edited:
I just realized that I dont, powerscaling has ruined the manga for me. Its tiring, stressful and can become toxic as fuck.
Good for you, now stop participating in power level discussions, if you get the urge to check the posts, don't do it.
so what im hearing is.... 27 people are full of Cap
Not all of them, there are quite some people who are not wholly into powerscaling shit and char strength is not as important for them but yes there are a lot of people full of Cap. Look at their takes in power level related discussions and their participation in those discussions and then tell me they do not care so much about power level. Or maybe these are just fans of weaker characters and have decided to be content with getting the short end of the stick. They thought that their fave would be one of the strongest guys and then it turns out that that may not come to happen and instead of abandoning the char they just chose to appreciate other things and lowered their expectations.
Post automatically merged:

Average MC with all Plot Armour.
Bleach - Zenpachi , Aizen
Yeah my problem with both Ichigo and Naruto is this, they lost their character which initially was good (at least for me) as the series went on. I thought Ichigo was going to be one of the smart MCs but it never felt that way. Young Naruto was good but then it felt shit.

Yeah my problem with both Ichigo and Naruto is this, they lost their character which initially was good (at least for me) as the series went on. I thought Ichigo was going to be one of the smart MCs but it never felt that way. Young Naruto was good but then it felt shit
I feel bro got overpowered way too quickly and easily and I lost interest.
Pre time skip naruto was good. Post time skip was good too until kakazu mission.
After that it's all about naruto power creep.

It's funny
Most of my favourites characters are related with strenghtwise like zoro guts or kenpachi though i've never like characters because of this
One piece may be the only manga(for me)where character wise is more interesting than strenght wise nami and tashigi are between my favourites and one arc zombie bear is my favourite character

Very important. Helps establish superiority and relevance in a Shonen battle manga where the main discussion is duh battle.

That’s why most of my favorite characters have to be top tier. It’s the only way for Oda to keep them relevant. I will say this is true for majority of users here too whether they want to admit or not.

After that they need to get into character flesh-out territory. Personality also helps too. I like serious characters but I also like fun characters that don’t get wanked to Jesus levels like Goofy.

Answer to your question : are namy chopper or ussop popular like others ? Nop they are cool but in shonen manga, you watch it for fights and strength.

So if luffy, sanji or zoro don't have any strength, they aren't different from ussop and others who have great personality but no one cares here about that in one piece.

Gorosei weren't lame but see now, everyone talk about them, love them, why ? They showed they have strength.
Nami is more popular than Sanji. Also, in the pretimeskip Zoro and Luffy were very weak compared to many enemies and never acted like Usopp for example. So no, they don't change. I like Zoro much more for how he is than for his strength.

Somewhat important. If we're talking about character strength, it might either be physical strength, or strength of character that usually draws fans in.

In shounen/action physical strength is usually more important than usual, because strong characters get more and cooler moments.

E.g. I'm reading currently Vagabond, and Musashi's journey and his internal struggles are more interesting to read compared to Matahachi's whining "oh I'm so useless" "oh I should've" "I will do something great!" and then he does nothing or something shitty.