Questions & Mysteries I know Zoro's Bandana will be significant - but how?

People often mention Zoro's missing eye mystery, his heritage, his village's involvement with the rest of the world, but few mention his Bandana.

Zoro is the only Strawhat to possess an item that no one knows either the origin of, or the source of it's importance to the holder - who gave it him? When did he get it? Why does he hold it so dear that he'll only equip it when he's serious? It goes even further than Nami's tangerines, Chopper's hat, Luffy's Strawhat(??). The possibilities are endless, yet it goes unexplained, much like the majority of Zoro's history.

The anime showed us in episode 19 that Zoro didn't have his bandana when he left his village, but all we know for sure is that he first appeared with it at age 19 when he first meets Luffy. What event took place before he first wore it? How did Zoro stumble upon his famous Bandana - what happened that resulted in Zoro putting it on for every serious fight - even his duel against Mihawk...

I am absolutely sure that Oda will reveal it to us one day. Could this be another dimension to Zoro's inspiration, perhaps the initial spark of his Ambition?

Last edited:
I would be willing to accept this if he didn't only equip the bandana during serious fights. I'm not sure there's any other item that has this condition
I think Luffy sometimes put his strawhat on when he's serious, Usopp puts his goggle on when he's trying to snipe someone, Sanji usually lights his cigarette at the beginning of his fights, etc.

I think we gonna see (potentially) Zoro's backstory when he visits Ryuma's grave at the end of Wano. Then maybe we can get the answer that involves Zoro's bandana. We'll see.

The belly warmer too, Zoro never stopped using it
True but he has it on all the time, serious fight or no. I like to think that the Bandana brings Zoro mentally back to whatever happened when he first got it, as a way of focusing him for a serious fight.

I find it strange that Zoro has so many iconic design attributes yet none of them are given any specific importance, excluding his torso scar and swords

True but he has it on all the time, serious fight or no. I like to think that the Bandana brings Zoro mentally back to whatever happened when he first got it, as a way of focusing him for a serious fight.

I find it strange that Zoro has so many iconic design attributes yet none of them are given any specific importance, excluding his torso scar and swords
I always thought the bandana was related to the origin of his dream. When he puts it on, it's time to prove himself, prove his strength, to go on living.

Although Zoro first declares to the reader that he will be the strongest swordsman after losing to Kuina for the two thousandth time, his later conversation with Kuina reveals that this was not his first declaration.

For a long time it was a headcanon of mine that he used a piece of cloth to blindfold his eyes and not see the death of his parents and so he decided to be the strongest, being the strongest there would be no one else able to do he goes through this again, and from that moment on, the ritual of putting on the bandana at these crucial moments is born. That would be my wish, but in the last few years I've kind of abandoned the idea.

And even thinking about Zoro's most recent flashback, it makes more sense that this ritual was born after Kuina's death. The promise was that one of the two would become the stronger, as she died, it all falls on Zoro's back. He cannot afford to fail, for he is the only one left.

Today I believe that the bandana symbolizes his maturity, the moment he stopped saying he would be the strongest swordsman and started to understand the responsibility he must have for that.

Before he trained to surpass Kuina and he was used to failing, he lost to her 2001 times and it was ok to fail, he could challenge her again again. But when he has to fight pirates, bandits in general, failing in a dispute means death, he just can't fail anymore.

I don't know the origin of the bandana, but I think it means as much to him as it does to Wado. It would be a little redundant to have the same origin as the sword, but I still think it makes more sense than my old idea.

For a long time it was a headcanon of mine that he used a piece of cloth to blindfold his eyes and not see the death of his parents and so he decided to be the strongest, being the strongest there would be no one else able to do he goes through this again, and from that moment on, the ritual of putting on the bandana at these crucial moments is born. That would be my wish, but in the last few years I've kind of abandoned the idea.
Something like this would be excellent. I'd hate for Zoro to become WSS, the story to end, and his Bandana still left up for interpretation

Sounds good but it's too much Sasuke i think.

i will reveal the secret , Luffy's straw hat is the rising sun so Zoro's bandana is a half moon ( Zoro's secret SULONG form) , but it could also be fabricated with Kuina's shirt dripped in sweat from sword fighting you never know
Post automatically merged:

Who gives a fucking shit about zoros bandana. Zoro got his eye cut and oda coyld not even write why it was. Probably in exchange Mihawk training him Zoro gave Mihawk his eye.

More lineage bullshit

Who gives a fucking shit about zoros bandana. Zoro got his eye cut and oda coyld not even write why it was. Probably in exchange Mihawk training him Zoro gave Mihawk his eye.

More lineage bullshit
Still, I don't think we should rule potential development out yet. Oda for whatever reason decided to wait until Wano to give us virtually anything on Zoro. I don't need it to be super important, I just want Oda to acknowledge that he keeps way more in the dark about Zoro than any other strawhat

People often mention Zoro's missing eye mystery, his heritage, his village's involvement with the rest of the world, but few mention his Bandana.

Zoro is the only Strawhat to possess an item that no one knows either the origin of, or the source of it's importance to the holder - who gave it him? When did he get it? Why does he hold it so dear that he'll only equip it when he's serious? It goes even further than Nami's tangerines, Chopper's hat, Luffy's Strawhat(??). The possibilities are endless, yet it goes unexplained, much like the majority of Zoro's history.

The anime showed us in episode 19 that Zoro didn't have his bandana when he left his village, but all we know for sure is that he first appeared with it at age 19 when he first meets Luffy. What event took place before he first wore it? How did Zoro stumble upon his famous Bandana - what happened that resulted in Zoro putting it on for every serious fight - even his duel against Mihawk...

I am absolutely sure that Oda will reveal it to us one day. Could this be another dimension to Zoro's inspiration, perhaps the initial spark of his Ambition?
Goats wear bandanas, what more do you want to know?