Questions & Mysteries Is Hiryuu Kaen long range attack?

Hiryuu Kaen is long range attack or not?

• Total voters
days ago i found someone mentioned hiryuu kaen is short range attack and make a good point to backing up. so far we've only see zoro used the said attack against ryuma and kaido, and both zoro need to get close to launch said attack..

and here i want to ask your opinion, what do you think guys?
credit to some guy i forgot his name XD.

Last edited:
I

Indigo

Against Ryuma, it wasn't. Zoro went right at him, cut him up in close range, and then came out the other side.

But against Kaido, he didn't move forward with his attack, he was still in the same spot in the air after he released the attack, it was a flying slash this time around. If it wasn't, Zoro would be on the other side of that horn, but this time he stayed in front of Kaido after releasing the attack, instead of going past him like Ryuma.

Here you can see that Zoro throws the slash, and then right after Kaido is shown in front of Zoro again, just like when Zoro used the attack.

And here...

We can see that Zoro needs to get up and close, and then past the enemy.

So yeah, it seems the attack has evolved from a close range to a long range attack using haki / ryou and air slashes.
Post automatically merged:

You could also say that Hiryuu Kaen was always a long range attack, there's an argument for it.

Think about like this, Zoro was trying to send out a flying slash against Ryuma in Thriller Bark, just like against Kaido. But because Ryuma had Brook's shadow, he tried to use Brook's techniques that are always close range and get past the enemy, so Zoro send out the flying slash, but Ryuma was the one that got close and past Zoro during that clash, so it gave the impression that Hiryuu Kaen was a close range attack, instead of it being a long range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
days ago i found someone mentioned hiryuu kaen is short range attack and make a good point to backing up. so far we've only see zoro used the said attack against ryuma and kaido, and both zoro need to get close to launch said attack..

and here i want to ask your opinion, what do you think guys?
credit to some guy i forgot his name XD.
I would say both, depending on his intentions.

The attack was shown on both sides, pre and post TS. I think this is a great flexibility advantage for Zoro and he would most likely naturally tend to use it at longer ranges compared to pre TS overall.

H

Haoshoku

It is a close quarters combat finisher. There’s not much of a difference in how he utilized it vs Ryuma and vs Kaido. The only difference is that one landed while the other didn’t and that’s why we saw the residual power left from it after Kaido dodged it. Said amount of residual power left in its wake was Oda’s point of emphasizing and hyping up how powerful it is in CQC.