General & Others Is Luffy a top 5 manga MC/protagonist?

Is Luffy a top 5 manga (Shonen/Seinen/etc included) MC/protagonist?

• Total voters
These panels are definitely some of Luffy's best, but more recently:
Refusing to help Wano until their figurehead personally requested it from peer to peer
Ignoring the poisonous effects of that gas in Udon to prove a point to downplay their opponents + slave speech
Destroying the Mirror world exit onto the sunny + putting on a brave face for the crew
Encouraging Momo to bite Kaido to present him as less imposing

Other things I didn't like as much--but were consistent--was punching the guy during the start of the raid for wasting that food; giving away their positions
Also fighting Kaido in Act 1 rather than simply going to check on the crew

I'd say any list with Luffy in the top 5 has to be bias and subjective due to the sheer number of manga, but Luffy is a far better character than most credit him for. He's certainly and idealized, larger than life, romanticized hero figure and fits his story very well... And I think him dying at the end of the story or traveling to space are the only good ways to end his character's story. Top 5 is a reach tho

These panels are definitely some of Luffy's best, but more recently:
Refusing to help Wano until their figurehead personally requested it from peer to peer
Ignoring the poisonous effects of that gas in Udon to prove a point to downplay their opponents + slave speech
Destroying the Mirror world exit onto the sunny + putting on a brave face for the crew
Encouraging Momo to bite Kaido to present him as less imposing

Other things I didn't like as much--but were consistent--was punching the guy during the start of the raid for wasting that food; giving away their positions
Also fighting Kaido in Act 1 rather than simply going to check on the crew

I'd say any list with Luffy in the top 5 has to be bias and subjective due to the sheer number of manga, but Luffy is a far better character than most credit him for. He's certainly and idealized, larger than life, romanticized hero figure and fits his story very well... And I think him dying at the end of the story or traveling to space are the only good ways to end his character's story. Top 5 is a reach tho
Top 5 is subjective. I enjoy Luffy more than others.
:kayneshrug:
Luffy being reckless is his character, He keeps his death on his sleeve. For him that is true meaning of being a pirate.

The first one. In terms of how good of a main character he is, how well he is written. Not how popular he is.
Then hell no, I like MCs that have brains, Luffy is retarded and mentally ill. Luffy's only utility is fighting, he can't do anything else, like literally. He's too cartoonish for my enjoyment. Replace Luffy with Ace and/or Law and I'd go nuts, I'd love one piece way more then I ever did.

The luffy we started off with is a totally different man than the pne we have now. the only thing they have 8n common is the same dream. Oda did good with Luffy's bacl story.

Luffy is basically an illiterate street urchin but with the attitude and heart of a king. he is extremely charismatic and has a certain edge about him. though it seems ever since the sunny was built and we see him playing on the swing set like a giant child not even ironically but as if he is mentally stunted to that of an 12 year old.
his esrs arr no longer on his neck and hes not intimidating. He basically jobs his way to victory and has the wisdom of a mouse with tgondi.

some of his best moments like his momsnts woth vivi or wapol cant be done woth this current character. Even when Luffy was being an ass figthing arlong you could still have suspension of disbelief that went along with the adventure of the story but this current luffy is a cookie cutter shounen and many tiers below the prethriller bark luffy. I think the art style heavily dictates how we see luffy to.

Look at the roster of Jump Force or any big splash with different shonen characters and tell me you don't see a difference in the ones created after Luffy. You really can't debate it.

But in the relationship between Oda and Luffy, the guy gets carried away. The reason Goku worked so well was because Z took him out of the story until there was sufficient build up. Oda takes others out of the story to build up Luffy. Like we don't see Usopp for two years and then he does fuck all. I didn't need him to win a fight or use Haki or whatever, but Luffy vs Kaido goes off and on for 50 chapters, maybe you can work him in a little more? Or give us a real finish for Denjiro vs Orochi? Idk

I dont know, Luffy is good at some times and no at others. I liked him more pre time skip.
Post automatically merged:

The thing I hated the most was Luffy making an alliance with Law... when Sanji went with Law to tell him that Luffy views an alliance as "being friends" which never was the case pre time skip. Luffy never saw an alliance as being "friends", he always made them to accomplish his goal. Yeah, they did come closer, but that was not the meaning for him.

Luffy with Vivi, 1 goal. Luffy with Crocodile, priority his goal, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited: