Powers & Abilities Is Luffy's new transformation really a good thing?

where do you stand?

• Total voters
From what I've seen it seems like the OP community has been divided in two camps regarding the latest chapter. You have the regular Oda-tards that will defend anything he puts out (no offence to anyone here) like the Reddit community and people on YT and such. On the other side you have people complaining about how this is an asspull and how OP is becoming the next Naruto with it's power-ups. You also have the issue of changing Luffy's df this late in the story and the seemingly imcompetence of the Gorosei.
Personally I'd say the one thing I do like is Luffy's awakening but even that could have been done differently without G5.

This is trash because
- Now the protagonist has the God of the verse Mytical JoyBoy Reality Bending Asspull Fruit
- There is almost 0% foreshadowing of something THIS MASSIVE, except Red Hawk
- No ingenuity involved , G2-G3-G4 all involved Luffy using his powers in a unique way , now he's just handed God Powers for no reason other then plot

The only thing I question is that Oda should have built Nika during the story with some quotes and mentions

Playing it only in wano made it seem like Oda chose it at the last minute, and didn't have any decent builds to it.

Moreover, this power was consistent and coherent with history.

This is trash because
- Now the protagonist has the God of the verse Mytical JoyBoy Reality Bending Asspull Fruit
- There is almost 0% foreshadowing of something THIS MASSIVE, except Red Hawk
- No ingenuity involved , G2-G3-G4 all involved Luffy using his powers in a unique way , now he's just handed God Powers for no reason other then plot
Poor execution asspull

Red Hawk, G4 first usage against Doffy showed that there were to Luffy's fruit that just being Rubber. Kaido also alluded to that as well.

However the execution could have be better.

The only thing I question is that Oda should have built Nika during the story with some quotes and mentions

Playing it only in wano made it seem like Oda chose it at the last minute, and didn't have any decent builds to it.

Moreover, this power was consistent and coherent with history.
100% agree. He could have explored Sun God Nika back in Fishman Island when they were discussing Fisher Tiger, this correlates to the Sun Pirates as well.

It's ok, hilarious and all but I would have preferred if it occurred during the last major fighting arc of the series personally :josad:
Then the reception would have been worst than what it is now and only shows that Luffy failed to grasp his fruit until the very final moments of the series when he's a fighting genius

KonyaruIchi

👑𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓮𝓷👑
I like it, though we're definitely short on information about it right now. I want to see Oda explain the reasoning behind this change amongst other choices he made (like the Gorosei being bumbling morons, for example). That being said, I still really enjoy the transformation itself, I feel like it fits Luffy as a character pretty well, and behaviour wise it really doesn't seem to differ much from what people expected the gomu gomu no mi to behave as it awakened (i.e. turning the ground into rubber and free control of the rubber factor of the limbs without worrying about recoil), it basically just got rebranded.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Regardless of how I feel about it, anyone who didn’t know that Luffy was gonna be the reincarnation of Joyboy from the moment the latter was first mentioned is lying to themselves AND us :luuh:

Now the fruit matches the name of the ship. He is also still a rubberman. More freedom does not mean he is invincible. Fanbase is just dumb.