Character Discussion Is Sengoku actually a "good marine"

Can you imagine how many pregnant woman and their inborn Sengoku was complicit in killing? for the sin of Ace being born as Roger's son?

there's no defending that for me, one of the most brutal parts of One Piece.

He is one of the most reasonable of the Marines, but he is just another COG in the WG system and he doesn't even show disgust for it like Garp.

Sengoku is the closest to Kizaru, but Kizaru doesn't even fake caring about the greater good or justice, he just follows orders. true and through

I'm not entirely sure that he is.

He was an admiral, meaning he served directly under the celestial dragons. Furthermore, we know he was complicit in the Ohara genocide. Unlike Fujitora, he has shown no signs of opposing the CD's agenda in any ways. I mean just look how he reacted when WB stated that One Piece was real.

Dude was sweating buckets.

Honestly, I feel like he is a loyalist and will probably side with the CDs in the final war, with Garp ultimately being the one who defeats him.
NO

G

Gorosei Informer

Sengoku is an Absolutist like Akainu. I think he and Zephyr inspired Akainu the most naturally.

Garp inspired heroism (military propaganda I mean) and his fighting style to Akainu imo. Both Garp and Akainu are dog themed too.

Sengoku has a Buddha fruit of all things. The absolute irony. It's like how Drifters made Jesus evil.
Oda loves his subversions.

I hope we learn more of Sengoku but he's truly authoritarian at heart and resembles Japanese historical/political/cultural beliefs a lot but also militaries and such ofc.

The Rocinante storyline humanised him a lot but its incomparable to all the atrocities he has commited/signed off on/ordered etc. Sengoku the Buddha has IMMENSE blood on his hands smd eould be going to hell regardless ironically imo.

I'm not hating on him ofc, just trying to be neutral. He was probably brainwashed by WG dogma as I'm certain Akainu and Kuzan were at least, as well as other Marines ofc and Garp even too especially, Mr Hero of the Marines.

I wonder if Garp participated in any Buster Calls/genocides too? So many firstborn were slain like how so many first born were supposedly slaughtered in ancient Egyptian times. That whole Biblical horror story.
Roger helped slay the biggest threat to the WG and in return they executed him, tried to kill his wife and unborn son and slaughtered countless mothers and unborn children to try to wipe out his lineage, how cruelly ironic.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
I'm not entirely sure that he is.

He was an admiral, meaning he served directly under the celestial dragons. Furthermore, we know he was complicit in the Ohara genocide. Unlike Fujitora, he has shown no signs of opposing the CD's agenda in any ways. I mean just look how he reacted when WB stated that One Piece was real.

Dude was sweating buckets.

Honestly, I feel like he is a loyalist and will probably side with the CDs in the final war, with Garp ultimately being the one who defeats him.
If Garp is considered to be a "Good Marine".

I will say Sengoku is the one who is on the edge of being a total WG pawn.

He appears to be good but there are situations in which you could clearly tell he is a wise WG dog doing the orders.

Don't let the Corazon situation mislead you.

Even evil people had families/something they cared for in the end.

I won't lie, a lot of you guys are using things that Sengoku had no choice but to do unless he left the Marines.

Did Garp stop any of them? Nope
Did Tsuru? Nope
Y'all think they weren't aware of the shit that was going on? Damn right they were

Sengoku wasn't even the one who gave the order for the kids to be slaughtered, the fleet admiral at the time was Kong. And the order 99.9% likely was straight from the Gorosei.

IF your idea of Sengoku not being good is that he as a military commander follows the will of the Government he's under, then that applies to every single Marine who has since joined or continues to remain one.

Last edited:
Not even Garp is a "good" Marine.
At the end of the day both are voluntarily or involuntarily furthering an evil agenda. Garp will probably be redeemed before the end, but Sengoku will not be.

I won't lie, a lot of you guys are using things that Sengoku had no choice but to do unless he left the Marines.

Did Garp stop any of them? Nope
Did Tsuru? Nope
Y'all think they weren't aware of the shit that was going on? Damn right they were

Sengoku wasn't even the one who gave the order for the kids to be slaughtered, the fleet admiral at the time was Kong. And the order 99.9% likely was straight from the Gorosei.

IF your idea of Sengoku not being good is that he as a military commander follows the will of the Government he's under, then that applies to every single Marine who has since joined or continues to remain one.
Agree.

Also, it was always obvious to me that the order about the kids came from the WG.

Not even Garp is a "good" Marine.
At the end of the day both are voluntarily or involuntarily furthering an evil agenda. Garp will probably be redeemed before the end, but Sengoku will not be.
regardless of 'redemption', both will always look like shit compared to chad issho :catrude:

Garp is a good Marine
He refused to be an Admiral because he didn't want to serve CD's
Saved Ace when he wasn't forced to do

Sengoku should have rejected to be Admiral for sure but saying he's bad is too much
Their primary goal is to serve civilians and protect them for Pirates who just don't have any focus on that part
You can't expect him to stop those things to happen

Akainu and Greenbull are the only ones who are totally Bad
Akainu for killing a ship of Ohara citizens
Greenbull for fighting Fuji who was freeing slaves

He’s a guy that followed orders without pushback even if the order was cruel. I wouldn’t consider him a bad guy, but he isn’t a saint either.