Is The Promised Neverland Season 2 Ruined? Why Is Next Episode A Recap?

How do ya'll feel about TPN S2

• It's good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's amazing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This episode of the promised neverland season 2 is "STRANGE" to say the least. After a controversial direction to take the story into an anime original route; they can't afford any blunders to win the fandom back, especially in an 11 episode season.
Unfortunately episode 5 might just be the first blunder of the season folks... Starting off in a random demon town setting, I figured we where getting a flashback of mujika and sonjo and developing worldbuilding in the lore.

I was caught off guard when it was revealed that the kids where sneaking around for resources, camouflaged in demon attire. For two major reasons: first, why can't the demons smell them? Wasn't it established in S1 that the demons have advance smelling, and could spot a human from a mile away?
Hell even in the first couple of episodes, when the kids where being chased by the demons. They could barely escape thanks to sonjo saving the day. Maybe not all demons sense of smell is equal?

And for the second reasoning, what the fuck is even happening? Why did the writers skip into some random demon town? How much time has passed since last episode? How long have the kids been living in these conditions, and why are they here of all places?
Hell, I could excuse this strange direction if the pacing wasn't so odd. Did we really need another episode plagued with 15 minutes of sol moments? Don't get me wrong I like the SOL moments in TPN, it helps develop character and bonds. However, S1 kept the slow moments mixed in with a constant sense of dread and tension, a sour protagonist had to fight against time to escape before their inevitable doom.

As of now S2 has no high stakes. The only danger is the lack of resources and escaping out of demon territory. However, I have yet to feel like the kids have been in true danger considering how convenient their luck has been.
Nevertheless, I did enjoy the subtle drop of hints of demon society politics. It seems like the nobles are corrupt hogging most of the livestock, and is setting up for a potential rebellion from the common "man" or demon in this case. This correlates with mujika and sonjos banishment for not fitting the status qou. So I'm assuming they will play a pivotal role in a coupe down the line.

Nevertheless, I have mixed feelings on the next scene, where the kids are being chased by thugs. On one hand it showcased how experienced they are in escaping thanks to their training on the farm. However, it also felt like a massive waste of time...
Did we really need a scene of the kids duking two bums for 10 minutes? Nevertheless, the final scene is what really made me jump out of my seat questioning WHY?
Out of no where they just casually drop morman back into the plot... Now remember that I'm an anime only but I knew morman wasn't dead. Don't lie to yourselves, we all knew he was coming back, but I don't like the way they executed his reveal. It didn't feel shocking nor powerful. Just more plot convenience for enma and ray.

To me it felt like the writer just didn't think about the grander lore or world building that should happen after the orphanage escape. The first arc was an amazing piece of manga, everything after it felt pretty awkward and random imo.

Facts. This was one of my main complaints, Goldy Pound was like the peak of the manga and they just glossed over everything for no reason. :kriwhat:

I would love to know what the hell happened with the production.
Yeah, sadly CloverWorks staff doesn't understand the source material to adapt from hence why they rushed it. Truly very disappointing but it is what it is lol.