Questions & Mysteries Ivankov's Original Fate in Impel Down

Hello Everyone,

This was a question I have wanted to ask for a long time and I was expecting to learn your opinions about this matter. In Impel Down Arc, Ivankov told to Luffy that he was waiting for the time Dragon would rescue him and he was not planning to escape from the prison due to his belief in Dragon. The question is that, do you think that Dragon was really planning to rescue Ivankov from Impel Down or was Dragon viewing him as a "necessary sacrifice for the cause" who would only be rescued/released from the prison if they COMPLETELY took down WG? Do you think that Ivankov was waiting for a plan of Dragon to come to fruition or were his hopes futile?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Hello Everyone,

This was a question I have wanted to ask for a long time and I was expecting to learn your opinions about this matter. In Impel Down Arc, Ivankov told to Luffy that he was waiting for the time Dragon would rescue him and he was not planning to escape from the prison due to his belief in Dragon. The question is that, do you think that Dragon was really planning to rescue Ivankov from Impel Down or was Dragon viewing him as a "necessary sacrifice for the cause" who would only be rescued/released from the prison if they COMPLETELY took down WG? Do you think that Ivankov was waiting for a plan of Dragon to come to fruition or were his hopes futile?
Can you provide the panel where this happened? I don’t recall reading that bit of dialogue, but if true, then I think we can safely assume a rescue was in order. Dragon deemed Kuma, who had already fallen both into the WG’s total control as well as total disrepair from the Tennryubitos’ abuse, as a valuable enough asset that Sabo and several other RA commanders infiltrated Mariejois during the Reverie, damn near the most dangerous time for a mission of that nature, to try and save him. I guess we don’t know why or how long Ivankov was imprisoned, but based on what we’ve seen in terms of how the Revolutionaries prioritize their members’ personal safety above most else, it’s reasonable to say that he was telling the truth.

Can you provide the panel where this happened? I don’t recall reading that bit of dialogue, but if true, then I think we can safely assume a rescue was in order. Dragon deemed Kuma, who had already fallen both into the WG’s total control as well as total disrepair from the Tennryubitos’ abuse, as a valuable enough asset that Sabo and several other RA commanders infiltrated Mariejois during the Reverie, damn near the most dangerous time for a mission of that nature, to try and save him. I guess we don’t know why or how long Ivankov was imprisoned, but based on what we’ve seen in terms of how the Revolutionaries prioritize their members’ personal safety above most else, it’s reasonable to say that he was telling the truth.

I guess he was saying that he will escape by himself when Dragon mobilize his army to an open war against the WG. Dragon might send someone to help Invankov tho.
I am a bit confused on that part too actually. I have always interpreted that part as him escaping due to Dragon immobilizing some forces to retrieve him but the point you make also makes sense