Speculations Kin'emon's Potential as a Strawhat

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Right, I started this as a reply for the Kin'emon appreciation thread and it ended up getting way bigger than expected and I think it needs its own thread now. Basically, I said I saw Kin'emon as the only Strawhat potential, some folk questioned it, I started writing a bit more about while I felt this way and I ended up with this.

Also want to say, I'm not nailing my mast to "Kin'emon for Strawhat!" This is not me absolutely certain that he's the next one to join like I was for Jinbei. I just feel that he's the only one with any real potential.

First of all, you know how people always complain that after Jinbei, a new Strawhat will have missed too much? Well, Kin'emon is literally the first character the Strawhats meet in the New World. Apart from WCI, he's seen just as much of it as the rest of the crew. In addition, he's actually what kicks off the entirety of the New World plot, cause it's the Strawhats hearing of a samurai attacking Punk Hazard that causes them to go there. And I'm pretty sure that Oda's been planning him in some form since the start of the Grand Line. If you can remember the early Hancock preview, there's also one for a samurai who can really only be him, Oden or Orochi.

Consider how his story unfolds. He becomes, even more than Law, the driving force of the Kaido story. We go to Punk Hazard because of him. The three separate Strawhat groups all encounter him- Luffy, Zoro, Ussop and Robin his bottom half (which can talk by farting, if that's not Strawhat potential I don't know what is), Nami, Sanji, Chopper and Franky his head, Brook fighting his torso. His hunt for his "son" is one of the main plot points. We start to learn there's a relationship with Kaido, that his comrades are scattered on the path towards him. He's made leader of the Wano expedition. He's the one making the plans on Wano. He's the one we see last charging towards Onigashima with a death wish- to be saved by Luffy?

Also, Luffy's technically invited him to join already. His arse anyway.

He fits in very well with a lot of the crew. Gets involved with the two pervs and gets battered by Nami. Has a deep respect for Luffy and Sanji for saving him and Momo. Made a swordsman trio with Zoro and Brook, where each one has their own kind of fighting style- one sword ice man, two sword fire man, three sword does everything man. I'd say his strength level fits in nicely- not up there with the M3 and Jinbei, but probably above Franky, Brook and Robin.

He's got an interesting enough design, gigantic ukiyo-e samurai with a big Kozuki tattoo on his back. His DF, while not the most interesting- though I'm sure Oda could come up with some more uses for it- does have one big thing going for it. It is- as far as I know, not speaking Japanese- one that fits the missing pattern of the current Strawhat DF's, being the missing 2.9.

Living happily with Momo and Tsuru? Sure, that could be his end goal. But most of the Strawhats have someone they've left behind for their journey. Nami being the main one I'm thinking of here- spends her entire adult life trying to free her island, runs away from her father and sister immediately afterwards. But there's also the Franky Family and the Sun Pirates as people the Strawhats have felt obligated towards but left.

He's obviously got the dream and the dead inspiration flashback covered. The flashback, importantly, is his as much as the Fishman Island one was Jinbei's. Both revolve more around other characters; Otohime, Tiger and Oden, but they are both framed as Jinbei and Kin'emon's memories of the past.

Position in the crew is a big tricky one. Doesn't really provide much other than strength and being a clothesrack. He'd have to go the Zoro, Ussop and Robin route of being something rather vague, being simply the samurai. Or Oda could make Zoro official First Mate and let Kin take his role of fighter, but that's something I doubt he'd do.

Now, what can actually led him in the story to join?

The way this Kozuki/Red Scabbard plot has been developing over the entirety of the New World story- I just don't see it ending with Wano. It's been tied too much to the endgame plot with the Void Century, Raftel, Joy Boy et al. And the devotion Oda's given it in itself is unique- every island unfolding a new part of the tale, almost like a mirror image of early One Piece with meeting a new Scabbard every island, the overall picture of what they actually want slowly unfolding with each arc. The only thing I can think of that really compares is how Robin's story has been done.

Now, the obvious assumption I think about Kin'emon's dream is that it's resolved by the end of Wano. Orochi and Kaido defeated, Shogun Momo, happy days around. But I have to wonder if it will be as simple as that. Defeating Hody didn't solve Fishman Islands problems. I'm starting to think with this flashback truly opening Wano's borders could be more complex than that. The Kozuki's in the Void Century did not isolate the country and forge indestructible stones telling the truth of what happened because of Kaido. They did it because of, we presume, the forces that became the World Gov who are still around in the present day. That huge war Oden predicted would happen this chapter, that's the EoS war we're talking about here. Much like Jinbei feels that only through Luffy will he get parity for Fishmen, could the situation arise that only through Luffy (Joyboy) will Wano also truly be able to open itself to the world? Does someone from Wano need to see the world like Oden did, learn the reason why Wano has isolated itself eight hundred years, and why it should change? As things stand, the Scabbards know they should open the country. But they don't know why, and I think that is important. They're aiming to fulfil Oden's dream without actually knowing what drove Oden to want to change eight hundred years of culture. I think that's important.

So if the situation is arising where someone needs to sail with Luffy, to find out the truth about Wano, who would that be?

Momo, if it wasn't for his age, would be a shoe-in. But I really don't think I can say more than his age really is just a massive no.
Tama is also too young, and doesn't have any interest in Wano in a wider sense.
Hiyori? Old enough, but, eh, seems pretty useless at sea. Zoro doesn't need a permanent damsel in distress to rescue.
Carrot? Been punted too far to the side, is too unimportant. She's a vassal of a vassal who has disappeared into the background on Wano, which is where she's spent most of her existence. Compare the way Oda has showed Oden and the Red Scabbards story, to her and Pedro's. Clearly one is vastly more important than the other.
The other Scabbards? Just... aren't as important as Kin'emon. Some might be stronger, but the consistent face of the Red Scabbards, and most likely to be the main inheritor of Oden's will, is Kin. He's the one who knew Oden the longest (with Denjiro, who obviously has a big role to play, but very unlikely to be that of a Strawhat.) Like Jinbei and Tiger, Brook and Yorki, he's the right hand man that took charge.

So, that's my argument for him. Something to think about anyway.

I wouldn't mind Kin to be fair, but I'd feel for Tsuru quite a bit if she had to live without her husband any longer ^^". Like Kin momo has also been with the SHs since the begging of the grand line and also has some interesting dynamics with the SHs so I think he'd be the one joining as opposed to Kin. In this arc, we have Shinobu's mature mature fruit, so that could be the key to making momo regain his lost years (or at least some of it). A lot of emphasis has been put on him being powerless precisely because his small & just a kid so chances are we get to see Adult momo this arc ^^. Plus Momo could join as an "apprentice" under the SHs or maybe more specifically under Zoro.

I really like Kin, but for me, as he is the leader of the Scabbards he have to stay in wano to protect the country.

Now for me, after what has been show in Oden FB, that a lot of crews had kids, i think that Momo will join the crew as a cabin boy, and Hiyori will stay in Wano leading the country

Tbh - and I also take this with a grain of salt as well - I actually get the impression that Kinemon would die in this arc, as well as some of the other scabbards, right there in Onigashima. :unsure:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I’ve wanted him to join the crew SO badly since Dressrosa, and I think it would be an interesting parallel with Oden (now that we know about HIS journey with the big names of his day) for Kin to reach Laugh Tale with Luffy...there are just as many reasons for him to stay in Wano as there are for him to keep sailing with the crew, though, and I ultimately think that’s where he belongs.

Either way, I don’t know if Momo aspires to be involved any further with the outside world like his father was. Traveling around the New World has been pretty traumatic for him - immediately after watching his dad die and getting sent two decades into the future by his mom as their home burns around them, he finds his country in a state of disrepair, faces the treacherous seas upon their escape, gets separated from several of his protectors, is abducted and placed in a cruel experiment, eats a defective Devil Fruit that greatly alters his quality of life, then has to go through days/weeks of running around so he isn’t killed by one top tier or the other. Considering all that, and how much he’s likely to grow during the huge upcoming battle, settling down in a rebuilding nation after the Yonko are defeated and taking up the mantle that is truly his birthright (even at a young age) feels more his speed at this point.

That’s why I feel like even if Kin’emon DOES join the Straw Hats on behalf of all their comrades, he’d be the only one. He may not fill a role other than combatant, but his usefulness doesn’t end at that one thing (great tactician, utilitarian DF, familiarity with customs and ideologies that may tie into the Ancient Kingdom). Momo can’t read Poneglyphs, which was seemingly a huge part of Oden’s appeal and is already covered by Robin.

Last edited:
Maybe. Bt like i said, he's seen n did too much already. Its time for him to be with Tsuru, and if Momo stays in Wano, he needs Kinnemon at his side.

If Momonosuke was older- 100% Strawhat. Whether that's by Shinobu aging him or Bonney appearing from nowhere and doing it, yeah, he's then the prime candidate for doing what his dad did.

As a child, it's not happening. Shanks, who actually was an apprentice in a pirate ship, of the Pirate King no less, said it's a terrible idea, and Luffy drew his inspiration from him. Why Shanks feels that way I'll be very interested in finding out- something to do with him crying after Roger returns from Laugh Tale? Who knows. I'm also interested in Oda keeping the four apprentices from going to Raftel, especially since Shanks was shown to actively be locked out of the room when the crew were talking about going to Laugh Tale

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I don't think he'll join. He's missing a real reason to set out to sea. The only thing I can think of is wanting to learn what Oden did on his travel which motivated him to open Wano's borders, but I don't think that's necessary either since he's just content with fulfilling those wishes.

I dobelieve he'll be an ally of sorts to the Strawhats for the remainder of the series, but in a tangential capacity. The way Oden worded the importance of opening the borders is he wants Wano to impart its strength to whomever will change the world. That's more or less saying the Wano Samurai will ally themselves with Luffy. Whether that means 1 of them joins the crew proper, is not determined, but I lean on no.

To be honest I don't get SH vibes from him or at least I don't see Oda building him up for that role. Anyway he has been a SH for almost the whole post time skip pretty much andbthat is a lot. Imo at the end of Wano it would be big from Oda even getting Jinbe as a sooid SH (and not the usual I join, but later).

Also imo he has a life debt towards Oden so Momo but even Wano (not to talk about the poor Tsuru) so I can't picture him leaving Momo, his wife and the country to go on an adventure.

And that is another big point, I don't see Kinemon craving for adventure, that was maybe true for Carrot and maybe that led some people think she will become the next SH but now she is almost as important as the trees on the background.

Plus his role, he is a swordman and we already have Zoro, even Brook was made in something quite a bit different from a swordsman at this point (some sort of soul warrior who uses his sword as a medium) to not overlap too much on Zoro. Kinemon would overlap almost completely (swordsman who as its special can cut fire). And imo most likely Zoro wanting a sword whichcan cut fire will lead him to cut not just any fire but a wild one (and so get that skill too).

At tgis point I don't see a SH candidate, at least if Oda is still willing to use the old formula, in Wano we have a mountain of characters but there is nobody who stands out for importance or has any important moments with at least a SH. Maybe the next SH, if there will be a next SH, will be picked up at Elbaf so that Luffy gets a giant in the crew (I know I'm some years early but... Gerd for nakama could be the thing).

If Momonosuke was older- 100% Strawhat. Whether that's by Shinobu aging him or Bonney appearing from nowhere and doing it, yeah, he's then the prime candidate for doing what his dad did.

As a child, it's not happening. Shanks, who actually was an apprentice in a pirate ship, of the Pirate King no less, said it's a terrible idea, and Luffy drew his inspiration from him. Why Shanks feels that way I'll be very interested in finding out- something to do with him crying after Roger returns from Laugh Tale? Who knows. I'm also interested in Oda keeping the four apprentices from going to Raftel, especially since Shanks was shown to actively be locked out of the room when the crew were talking about going to Laugh Tale
Wow, that's a really good point.

And yeah, I wonder why Shanks felt that way as well, especially when him and Buggy were part of Roger's crew from a very young age. And yeah, this really bombs the chances of Momo being part of SH, given that Luffy drew his inspiration from Shanks, who didn't want him to join early on, due to his age.