Current Events Kozuki Oden – The Man Who Stopped The Flow of Time (A Character Analysis + Final Arc Buildup)

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
No, the title is not a wisecrack about how the flashback ran for 5 months:denzimote:

Initially, I wanted to write an analysis on the multiple themes that went into crafting Kozuki Oden’s character.

Coming of age in an isolationist shogunate, societal perception against reality, self-confidence, the hunger for freedom, the flow of time, inherited will, generational grudges, character design, tribalism, the relationship between a lord and his vassals, and much more.

However, I didn’t think many readers would care for an extensive breakdown.
So I thought that focusing on the least discussed aspect of Oden characterization would suffice.

That being how Oden (symbolizing isolationist Wano) stopped the flow of time (symbolized by Toki).​

• Toki was about to escape pirates by time jumping, but Oden stopped her.
  • She was rather offended when he suggested she travels towards her destination 20 years into the future. She later preferred to die in the present.
Oden stopped the flow of time.

Let’s look at the result of having no friction with outside philosophies in isolationist Wano:

• Top Wano Ninja are terrified of a “ghost”. Citizens offer food to said “Ghost”.
  • Citizens attack Kawamatsu and kill his mother because he’s from a different race.
  • They still offer humans as tributes to Kaido, their guardian deity.
  • Children indoctrinated by Orochi propaganda at “schools”.
  • Being ashamed to cry or show emotion because you’re the “son of a samurai”.
  • Murdering random Kurozumi because of inherited tribal grudges.
And the cycle continues.

Roger said: “As long as people search for freedom: man’s dreams, inherited will and the flow of time will never stop
He said The Pirate King is the freest man on the sea. Luffy said the same.

Luffy said: “I can't use a sword. I can't cook. I can't navigate. I can't even lie.”
He told Sanji he could never be the pirate king without him.
You can’t truly seek freedom in the One Piece world alone.

Being different from his compatriots, Oden tried to break the cycle of closed off Wano and its enslaved population.
His hunger for freedom from the “cramped” Wano gave him the dream to sail the seas and see the world.

However, he never had a chance to succeed. He sought freedom Wano’s way.
Wano doesn’t seek outsiders’ assistance. Wano shoulders the entire burden regardless of its situation.
Wano was born to Boil. Oden is Wano.

He’s the logical conclusion to Wano’s isolationist doctrine.
Someone from Wano could never open the borders of Wano.
Wano isn’t equipped to save itself. It was born to fail.

Even after learning of all of the world’s secrets, Oden still refused Roger’s help to Open Wano.
He’s a Wano man. His generation and environment breed naivety and gullibility.
Oden’s naivety was stupid. Oden was stupid. Just like Wano.

While some readers were befuddled by Oden’s decisions to still go along with Orochi’s offer, I could relate.
As someone who works with a lot of immigrants, many who came of age in more closed off societies have no awareness to being manipulated. I could tell you about helping out people that got taken advantage of in the most shockingly simplistic ways.

If you seek freedom alone in the One Piece world, you won’t pass on your will. Oden never willingly inspired his vassals.
He never even told them why he danced for 5 years, he never asked them to join him.
They all joined of their own accord. They accepted the mission of opening Wano’s borders without being asked.

He stopped the flow of time.

Nonetheless, he died smiling as he knew Joy Boy was to return, even if he never had the capacity to open Wano for him.

This time, to prepare for Joy Boy’s arrival, his vassals didn’t go at it alone. And this is why they’ll succeed.

Luffy summed it up perfectly “Who cares if I’m an outsider? I’ve heard all about Oden, when he was killed by Kaido 20 years ago this country stopped moving, Right!?

Even if I enjoyed Toki’s symbolic role, I’m still underwhelmed with other parts of her arc.
Nevertheless, I don’t want to make it more long winded that it already is.

Still, I’m very excited to see how this super saga concludes.
It’s really ambitious and unique how this 8-year long buildup has been established.
And it’s ultra-impressive how Oden’s story neatly threads all setup plotlines together.

The strawhats’ arc ceased being the narrative focus since Doflamingo’s “Justice” speech in Marineford.
The story structure completely changed since Punk Hazard building up to this showdown.

This war is the start of the endgame, where the giant world of One Piece will finally be realized.
Prepare Yourselves, Joy Boy Is Coming!

Last edited:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Great job bro (not that I agree with the whole thing). Dude is the best "Side main character" of an arc. Loved the thread, other than the joyboy shit and calling my boy Oden stupid.
Thanks for reading bro.
I love Oden too. I didn't mean to insult him by saying he's stupid. I was pointing out that the story is telling us that while there's a noble and honorable value to adhering to tradition, overdoing it by being isolated can lead to naive decisions.

As for Joy Boy, do you mean that you don't like the fact that he's involved at all? Or that Luffy could be his re-incarnation? I'd agree with the latter. It'd take a lot for me to buy reincarnation at this point. Inherited will is way more thematically consistent.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
That’s some interesting writing. Oden interfering with flow of time, I think I’ve heard that before too on multiple occasions. Nice work putting it all together.:sabogood:
Although you already had me hooked in your opening statement..:vistalaugh:
Thanks for reading man.
I realized the irony after I wrote the thread title. I wanted to get ahead of it so all the comments aren't about how he literally stopped manga time :leohah:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
If he is a noble I hope he is not conected with Zoro by descendancy :sabogood:

But I'm confident the Grandmaster is meant to be linked to Ryuma since BOS
I don't see Zoro being connected by blood to anybody other than Ushimaru. And even that connection I'm still iffy on. But he'll inherit Ruyma's will though :zosmug:

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Really good thread. Enjoyed the break down and if you do more of these (even on Oden) I wouldn't mind reading them. This got me though.
If you seek freedom alone in the One Piece world, you won’t pass on your will.
Makes me think of Mihawk, a man on his lonesome who appears to have it all, but up until he finally finds two others to share his time with, honestly seems hollow. I really like that consistency in Oda's work.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Really good thread. Enjoyed the break down and if you do more of these (even on Oden) I wouldn't mind reading them. This got me though.

Makes me think of Mihawk, a man on his lonesome who appears to have it all, but up until he finally finds two others to share his time with, honestly seems hollow. I really like that consistency in Oda's work.
Thanks for reading Tacy.
Mihawk is an enigmatic character indeed. I have my ideas on him but much is conjecture at this point.

I have many character breakdowns in mind, but they take a lot of time.

Would you read my Katakuri 10 page essay breakdown though? :suresure:

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Thanks for reading Tacy.
Mihawk is an enigmatic character indeed. I have my ideas on him but much is conjecture at this point.

I have many character breakdowns in mind, but they take a lot of time.

Would you read my Katakuri 10 page essay breakdown though? :suresure:
If it's well written, begrudgingly. But for every page, I'll add in an additional insult for Kata. But yeah, it just seems like Mihawk and Oden have this loner mentality in common and neither truly got what they want / happiness with this approach to the world.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Great write-up.

I agree with almost everything. This should actually be a must-read for all fans, who up until this point still don't understand the concept of Oden and Wano itself.
Thanks for reading Larry.
I wouldn't really say this is a must read lol
Just some thoughts about Oden I felt were worth sharing.

S

Shura

No, the title is not a wisecrack about how the flashback ran for 5 months:denzimote:

Initially, I wanted to write an analysis on the multiple themes that went into crafting Kozuki Oden’s character.

Coming of age in an isolationist shogunate, societal perception against reality, self-confidence, the hunger for freedom, the flow of time, inherited will, generational grudges, character design, tribalism, the relationship between a lord and his vassals, and much more.

However, I didn’t think many readers would care for an extensive breakdown.
So I thought that focusing on the least discussed aspect of Oden characterization would suffice.

That being how Oden (symbolizing isolationist Wano) stopped the flow of time (symbolized by Toki).​

• She was rather offended when he suggested she travels towards her destination 20 years into the future. She later preferred to die in the present.
Oden stopped the flow of time.

Let’s look at the result of having no friction with outside philosophies in isolationist Wano:

• Top Wano Ninja are terrified of a “ghost”. Citizens offer food to said “Ghost”.
  • Citizens attack Kawamatsu and kill his mother because he’s from a different race.
  • They still offer humans as tributes to Kaido, their guardian deity.
  • Children indoctrinated by Orochi propaganda at “schools”.
  • Being ashamed to cry or show emotion because you’re the “son of a samurai”.
  • Murdering random Kurozumi because of inherited tribal grudges.
And the cycle continues.

Roger said: “As long as people search for freedom: man’s dreams, inherited will and the flow of time will never stop
He said The Pirate King is the freest man on the sea. Luffy said the same.

Luffy said: “I can't use a sword. I can't cook. I can't navigate. I can't even lie.”
He told Sanji he could never be the pirate king without him.
You can’t truly seek freedom in the One Piece world alone.

Being different from his compatriots, Oden tried to break the cycle of closed off Wano and its enslaved population.
His hunger for freedom from the “cramped” Wano gave him the dream to sail the seas and see the world.

However, he never had a chance to succeed. He sought freedom Wano’s way.
Wano doesn’t seek outsiders’ assistance. Wano shoulders the entire burden regardless of its situation.
Wano was born to Boil. Oden is Wano.

He’s the logical conclusion to Wano’s isolationist doctrine.
Someone from Wano could never open the borders of Wano.
Wano isn’t equipped to save itself. It was born to fail.

Even after learning of all of the world’s secrets, Oden still refused Roger’s help to Open Wano.
He’s a Wano man. His generation and environment breed naivety and gullibility.
Oden’s naivety was stupid. Oden was stupid. Just like Wano.

While some readers were befuddled by Oden’s decisions to still go along with Orochi’s offer, I could relate.
As someone who works with a lot of immigrants, many who came of age in more closed off societies have no awareness to being manipulated. I could tell you about helping out people that got taken advantage of in the most shockingly simplistic ways.

If you seek freedom alone in the One Piece world, you won’t pass on your will. Oden never willingly inspired his vassals.
He never even told them why he danced for 5 years, he never asked them to join him.
They all joined of their own accord. They accepted the mission of opening Wano’s borders without being asked.

He stopped the flow of time.

Nonetheless, he died smiling as he knew Joy Boy was to return, even if he never had the capacity to open Wano for him.

This time, to prepare for Joy Boy’s arrival, his vassals didn’t go at it alone. And this is why they’ll succeed.

Luffy summed it up perfectly “Who care if I’m an outsider? I’ve heard all about Oden, when he was killed by Kaido 20 years ago this country stopped moving, Right!?

Even if I enjoyed Toki’s symbolic role, I’m still underwhelmed with other parts of her arc.
Nevertheless, I don’t want to make it more long winded that it already is.

Still, I’m very excited to see how this super saga concludes.
It’s really ambitious and unique how this 8-year long buildup has been established.
And it’s ultra-impressive how Oden’s story neatly threads all setup plotlines together.

The strawhats’ arc ceased being the narrative focus since Doflamingo’s “Justice” speech in Marineford.
The story structure completely changed since Punk Hazard building up to this showdown.

This war is the start of the endgame, where the giant world of One Piece will finally be realized.
Prepare Yourselves, Joy Boy Is Coming!

man such a well written article....I literally got goosebumps while reading the conclusion you made. It is as if I am part of the upcoming war.
The contrast between Oden and Luffy is also well said. I did relate this more to chapter 949 when Oden did what he did.

I agree with you on every part.

This is the maximum best analysis I could give you. :cheers:

Thanks for reading Larry.
I wouldn't really say this is a must read lol
Just some thoughts about Oden I felt were worth sharing.
I think it is a must-read in a sense, that most fans don't really think about the themes or messages that Oda tries to get across with certain characters/plots.

Understanding those themes can give someone an entirely new perspective on those characters/storylines. If it's yours or Morj's on youtube or whatever, such analysis posts/videos are really worth being spread around.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
man such a well written article....I literally got goosebumps while reading the conclusion you made. It is as if I am part of the upcoming war.
The contrast between Oden and Luffy is also well said. I did relate this more to chapter 949 when Oden did what he did.

I agree with you on every part.

This is the maximum best analysis I could give you. :cheers:
Thanks for reading Shura. Luffy is about to change history.....unknowingly as usual lol

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
I think it is a must-read in a sense, that most fans don't really think about the themes or messages that Oda tries to get across with certain characters/plots.

Understanding those themes can give someone an entirely new perspective on those characters/storylines. If it's yours or Morj's on youtube or whatever, such analysis posts/videos are really worth being spread around.
Again, I really appreciate you saying it's worth spreading lol. I literally just typed it up in one go.

I understand this type of write up for OP is not common within the hardcore online fandom. But it's hard for me to believe that most fans don't think about the series in the same way. There are millions of One Piece fans around the world, and maybe a few tens of thousands participate in online discussions. And only fraction of those make up the vocal online "consensus".

And even those cats probably get the over arching themes of the story, it's just more fun for them to shit post about power levels and how everything is trash every week lol I still love that they have passion towards the series in any form. And most of them are entertaining to talk to imo

I honestly have way bigger write ups in mind about many different themes and characters, but I don't know if I have the steam in me to write them up.

But I'm glad this could spark some discussion.

Some write-up in mobile:
after learning of all of the world’s secrets, Oden still refused Roger’s help to Open Wano.
Roger made no such offer, so it's misleading to say he "refused his help". And on his return while navigating the dangerous currents of Wano, Oden says there is a "reason" for Wano's borders, but that they will open once Joyboy returns. Oden himself is waiting for the time of the borders to be opened, the reason of which seems to be linked to the secrets of his and Roger's journey (and the involvement of a Wano clan in the poneglyphs). "Joyboy" is Roger's successor, which Roger is looking forward to too at this point, and he is supposed to be even greater than him (as he says himself), since he is at his end and has disbanded his crew.
The currents also indicate that it's not a casual thing to journey between Wano and elsewhere and ask for "small" favours of some overkill against an enemy invader, of a Roger who has himself closed his book and disbanded his crew (and possibly being in prison or whatever), or WB who he has parted with long before.

(In other words, if Roger had been literally Joyboy, Oden would have expected him to open the borders immediately... But Roger was at the end of his journey, and then far away.)

Mostly chapter 968.

These things don't sound compatible, first stopping her, and then her not wanting to jump herself. Although I don't know when this first stopping her to jump was and what its significance or context is. It would only be compatible if you impune some creepy "broken her spirit" story by way of Oden, because once telling her not to made her so ultra-sad and mopey about time-jumping, but this is far-fetched and nonsense. The sign of the act is different, one of not being broken.
But another little detail: Toki came from 800 years in the past... So much for Wano being stuck in the present and Toki being the flow to the future. Also, Oden didn't want to return to Wano when Toki wanted during the journey (coming from the past for this purpose).
And during a brief return to Wano for a poneglyph, Oden turned his back on it and couldn't stand it, as it has already gone a bit to the dogs. So it's incorrect to even speak of a continous Wano during all that time.
Then, Oden of course has no part in such things as tribal killings, which you choose as symbolic of it being stuck in time.

Last edited: