Fanclub Marines FC

There have been a lot of debates on who will be Luffy's equivalent of Garp between Smoker and Koby. A lot of fans were shifting toward the latter because of Oda's mistake of putting him at Rear Admiral. The fact is that he is still a Captain and there is no way at that level you can be a threat to a Schichibukai and even less to a Yonku. Make no mistake, Luffy's friend will become an Admiral by the epilogue of the series but it seems too early in the present.

Imho, Smoker is closer to be the Garp of this generation for obvious reason than fans have already listed:

-Swore to pursue Roger/Luffy to the end of the world

-Almost killed/captured them many times

-Had to team up at some point (God Island/Punk Hazard)

-Acknowledges their opponent and respect them although you wouldn't call them "friend" (Luffy telling Smoker he wants to fight him at his best at PH, Smoker leaving the SHs alone after Luffy saves his life at Alabasta)

-Garp doesn't want to talk about God Island because he teamed up with Roger a pirate, Smoker told the WG to eat shit when they gave him credit for bringing down Crocodile when it was Luffy's doing.

- Smoker even has a scar across his face like Garp which is reminiscent of Zoro and Rayleigh eye injuries.

When I read chapter 957 and Sengoku said Garp allied with a Pirate. I knew it had to be Roger if Luffy and Smoker mirrored their relationship and I was right. Even the story about covering up Roger's involvement and giving the credit to Garp is identical.

Last edited:

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️
There have been a lot of debates on who will be Luffy's equivalent of Garp between Smoker and Koby. A lot of fans were shifting toward the latter because of Oda's mistake of putting him at Rear Admiral. The fact is that he is still a Captain and there is no way at that level you can be a threat to a Schichibukai and even less to a Yonku. Make no mistake, Luffy's friend will become an Admiral by the epilogue of the series but it seems too early in the present.

Imho, Smoker is closer to be the Garp of this generation for obvious reason than fans have already listed:

-Swore to pursue Roger/Luffy to the end of the world

-Almost killed/captured them many times

-Had to team up at some point (God Island/Punk Hazard)

-Acknowledges their opponent and respect them although you wouldn't call them "friend" (Luffy telling Smoker he wants to fight him at his best at PH, Smoker leaving the SHs alone after Luffy saves his life at Alabasta)

-Garp doesn't want to talk about God Island because he teamed up with Roger a pirate, Smoker told the WG to eat shit when they gave him credit for bringing down Crocodile when it was Luffy's doing.

- Smoker even has a scar across his face like Garp which is reminiscent of Zoro and Rayleigh eye injuries.

When I read chapter 956 and Sengoku said Garp allied with a Pirate. I knew it had to be Roger if Luffy and Smoker mirrored their relationship and I was right. Even the story about covering up Roger's involvement and giving the credit to Garp is identical.
Yup, I am in 100% agreeance with you. The parallels are undeniable and they serve to further cement their comparison.

Yup, I am in 100% agreeance with you. The parallels are undeniable and they serve to further cement their comparison.
Oda loves parallels ( the series is about inherited will after all).

Smoker is a Vice Admiral so he is closest to be a future threat unlike Koby. All he needs is one power up to make him an Admiral strength wise. Lo and behold he is gonna meet Vegapunk who is the expert on DF.

Its fishy we didn't see his reaction to Luffy becoming a yonku or the end of the Schichibukai (He was the catalyst) :wonderland:

He might show up to upgrade his jitte
The jitte (also known as a jutte, both meaning "Ten Hand") is a weapon used by Japanese law enforcers, which fits Smoker's status as a Marine officer perfectly. The hook on a jitte is normally meant to help disarming an opponent, while the truncheon part is used to subdue the criminal. I do recall seeing some law enforcement officers using it in Wano. I am still looking for that chapter.

The trade between CP0 (DD acted as a middle man) with Wano explains how they were able get sea stone out of this country. They used it for weapons and even for the boats to travel through the calm belt.

Tashigi was the first person to introduce the concept of graded swords.

It will be a literal waste if Smoker and Tashigi cannot come considering how connected they are to Wano.