Theory Mihawk's master was Ushimaru

In the latest chapter, Kawamatsu says that Zoro bears a resemblance to Shimotsuki Ushimaru (Former daiymo of Wano) in not just appearance, but their sword style. He most likely also used Santoryu. It's very possible that when Zoro used his Sanzen Sekkai technique, Mihawk reacted in surprise because he used the exact same technique of his former master. Yes, I think this Ushimaru guy was probably the one who trained Mihawk in his youth.

Zoro and Ryuma have the exact same eye scar. We know Zoro gained this scar during his timeskip training with Mihawk. How well known was Ryuma's one eyed face? Wano has been a closed country for centuries, so probably not well known. Unless somebody were to spend time interacting with the people living in a Wano and learning their history. Ushimaru was a descendant of Ryuma, so he would more than likely know about this fact. Mihawk would have learned of this fact if my theory is true that he was trained under him for a period of time and became close to him.

Mihawk knowing about Zoro's heritage and wielding the legendary Shisui, gave him the eye scar to mirror his descendant to become a great sword god.

It's very possible that when Zoro used his Sanzen Sekkai technique, Mihawk reacted in surprise because he used the exact same technique of his former master. Yes, I think this Ushimaru guy was probably the one who trained Mihawk in his youth.
I mean, this would be a neat call back and all, but Mihawk knowing the move would not require Ushimaru to have been his master. He might very well have just been the former WSS before Mihawk defeated him, or at least a strong enough one that Mihawk remembered his attack.

If Ushimaru truly and used three swords like Zoro, it's not like that shit is something Mihawk would easily forget. You don't see it every day.

Zoro and perhaps his dad would be the only two people Mihawk ever saw fight this way as far as we know, so him recalling the only other guy he fought back in the day that used this very specific fighting style is not that far-fetched. No master / student relationship required.

Ushimaru has never been given the same hype as Oden. I doubt they were that close.

Regardless, I think Mihawk had a presence in Wano in some way and interacted with Ushimaru. What that relationship entailed is up for debate.

While this is not a bad theory, this would necessitate asking the question: how come we heard no mention of Mihawk from Wano people all throughout the arc?

Assuming Mihawk was in Wano during his youth, that means he was in Wano likely when Oden was sailing with WB-Roger, right about the same time Orochi came to the top thanks to Kaido. Unless he was trained in secrecy and also left Wano secretly a little while before Oden returned, that is.

This would also beg the question, now that we know Ushimaru died trying to stop Kaido, then how come Mihawk had never visited Wano to avenge his teacher all these years? After all, unlike WB, he had no family or turf to worry about.

A

Akagaminoproduction

Not really thats a big stretch.... I am fine with Ushimaru being weak... Oden's father was no special but pantyboi did make a little name for himself... Zoro will become WSS irrespective who his father was...

II dont think either that Ushimaru was his Master. But what i strongly belive is that Mihawk at some point was in Wano.
Mihawk has the mentality to be the strongest Swordsman, he wants to fight other Strong Swordsman for all his live.
Sure Wano is not much known, but it is common knowledge that there are strong Swordfighters. As if Mihawk would let the chance go to waste to fight against at least one Samuraii.

I think that Zoro's resemblance/link to the Shimotsukis(other than the fact he was born and raised in Shimotsuki village as well as inheriting Kuina's will and training under Koshiro and Kouzaburo) is because of him being Ryuma's reincarnation but I think that he is 100% from the east blue and has 0 ancestry links to Wano or the shimotsuki or the grand line as a whole