Character Discussion Monkey D. Luffy

It's my time! .

1. I love how Luffy just knows what needs to be done. I personally have a bad habit if doubting myself, and I like that Luffy is brimming with self-confidence. I also like the way he interacts with his crew. I loved the moment in Arlong Park where he stops Nami from stabbing herself in the arm. First time I read that scene I had chills. I also loved the moment at the end of TB where Luffy tries to give Zoro alcohol to speed up his recovery. It was stupid but so in character for Luffy.

2. I love his positive attitude and thirst for adventure. I am a homebody, so it's entertaining to read about Luffy's adventures. When I first started really getting in to anime, there was a trend that only emo characters were deep, but Luffy loved life and his friends.

3. Luffy drives the plot because he is the main character. He came out of a barrel in 1997 saying he was going to be King of the Pirates, yet there are people who think he doesn't deserve it.

4. He wants to be the most free person in the world. What that entails I don't know? I am interested to see how it turns out.

5. Luffy's interactions with characters is always entertaining. But my absolute favorite are his interactions with Zoro. I post enough in the Zolu fanclub though.

6. I sort of wish that Oda focused more on Luffy's Devil Fruit awakening rather than his haki mastery. Now it feels like he is leaving his entire crew in the dust and he has a super special fruit.

1)What are your favourite moments of Luffy?

Honestly the tines where he looks determined or angry. Those panels always get me. Also the part in Sabaody where he broke down crying. Probably just a dramatic and emotional scene overall but it hit so damn well into the feels.

2)Does Luffy has any distinctive qualities that separate him from other MCs?

Shonen main characters are all quite similar in my opinion. Determined, freedom seeking, being good and righteous. But the most distinctive trait imo is him being quite selfish without it being too obvious. Yes he cares but it's always to follow his goals in the end.

3) How does Luffy drive the plot?

One Piece plot is I would say 50/50 character and plot driven. Luffy drives the plot by being ambitious and simple minded and stupid. The others always have to follow his wants, and he keeps pushing forward often without caring about the consequences.

4) What motivations does Luffy have to work towards his goal?

His goal is his motivation. He wanta to be the freest. Simple as that.

5) How is Luffy's different relationship with different people? His crew, ASL, Grandfather, Rivals etc.

He does have sort of a family relationship to Garp but they aren't the super closest and difference of them standing on different sides is a critical factor. For ASL he saw family in them and companions, but it all faded more and more from his life until Sabo came back. His crew are people he's fond of and he needs them to achieve his goal. They are irreplaceable and too important to be lost. It's all becoming part of his goal. Rivals are probably people like Law and Kid. I don't think ge doesn't take them seriously and it's more motivation to him to surpass them and be stronger than them.

6) Is there anything you don't like about Luffy's character and why?

Nothing big to say. I just hope all the clues we got recently don't make him look like everything was put into his crib when he was born because it's so faded to be or him being too special.

I have been thinking of writing a character analysis for Luffy for a while now, but due to me being busy and Luffy being such an exhaustive character to analyze, its not easy, So I though to start a character discussion thread.
Luffy is very simple character at first glance, confident, strong, straightforward, dumb but with very high emotional quotient and adventurous spirit. He loves armour, bugs and snow. He is weirdly obsessed with the idea of manhood and romanticism.
But as story progresses we see more layers to him, We get to know the reason he has severe abandonment issues.
He has to suffer the consequences of him being too easy going with the crew, the dilemma of choosing between being a leader or a friend, how his ideals have been influenced by his childhood mentor.
What is freedom to him and how does being pirate King play into that etc.

I'd like to know your thoughts on any below certain points or more if you can add.
2)Does Luffy has any distinctive qualities that separate him from other MCs.
5) How is Luffy's different relationship with different people? His crew, ASL, Grandfather, Rivals etc.

[

When he's determined to accomplish something important. Protecting his friends, surpassing his enemies, etc.

"I don't care who you are or where you're from! But i will surpass you!"
"You are my nakama!"
"Say you wanna live!"

---

These moments send chill down my spine. Its roots is his doubtless feeling, be it care, love or competitive spirit.

- Luffy is the embodiment of adventure himself. He loves the journey, the process to every destination and island, he wants to explode with happiness whenever there're new lands to explore beneath his feet. Every MC has strong will and combat strength, but Luffy is one of the few rare ones who have creativity, internally being adventurous to reach it. When he dedicate himself to power, his approach is unrelenting and ultimately full of surprises, just like how he loves the physical journey. He reached G2-G3-G4 with his unpredictable methods, adaptability to formulate the most effective ways to getting stronger. Even with the newest powers, CoC Coating: He witnessed Ray's internal destruction CoA and then experienced Kaidou's CoC Coating, thus putting two and two together and performing the haki flow tech principle from internal destruction, and apply that principle using his CoC to achieve CoC Coating. That's him figuring how to maximize his potential and haki affinity. That's the sign of Luffy being the most combat-creative character in OP. Which i really like but also i feel the least-explored about, currently.

- His ruthlessness in expressing his love and dear towards his nakama is so raw, uninhibited in emotions, and strong. When he directs his feeling towards something, he directs his feelings strongly.

Luffy drives the plot by being who he is lol. He has the power to befriend his former enemies, he has no hard feelings even to Crocodile who oppressed Vivi's country, even to Akainu who slaughtered his big brother. His effortless charms even affects Fujitora into wanting to get back his vision just in order to recognize his physical appearance. "What are his eyes look like?" (Well them eyes look like those of an idiot brat's to me!). This turns the tides of enemies into an army of comrades and friends, which in turn reciprocate his unstoppable dedication to protect.

- He has strong feeling and ability to identify strong points and weak points from his friends and also enemies, and act accordingly. He knows exactly which enemy to beat from the start, such as Lucci in Enies Lobby. While this may be his blooming CoO in action if we judge from post-TS standards powerscaling-wise, this also drives the plot further because he only knows how to defeat the strongest. Once he does that, he leaves other matters to the others. Since he can't do sword techs, he can't cook, he can't lie, he can't navigate, he can't cure others, but he can DEFEAT YOU, which is applied in very eye of the storm of each shonen arcs.

I think he has to work on his maturity, which is halted due to plot. Him witnessing Ace being magma-fisted should've embedded some stern within him, some concept of necessary evil or necessary sacrifice, some concept of war strategy and large-scale decision-making, some concept of no choice than to kill or annihilate. With skysplitter-class AdvCoC, he can win every final battle of 1v1. But if Luffy gains maturity, he can win thousands of wars and his nakamas don't have to suffer or force themselves through extra burden because of his stupidity in critical moments. Luffy can be stupid when the situation allows him to, but not in critical moments he shouldn't.

Nowadays it becomes a blur to me honestly. Pre-TS, he knows exactly who should be prioritized. But currently it's like he doesn't differentiate anymore between his inner circle (core nakamas) or alliance or even former enemies. They all friends for him and he wanna and gotta protect em all while bickering with em all, which is a subpar development as Luffy's character concept imo.

- Halt of internal exploration of combat creativity, lack of invention: Oda had set the bar real high when he showed Luffy's G2. In post-TS, Luffy's internal journey of trial and error in one-upping his rubber fruit's potential should be explored in full. Toriko had those internal journeys when he met each Appetite Demons and trying to interact with them one after another, some phases of him getting the hang of demonic powers. HxH doesn't even need to be mentioned as it's a masterpiece of powersystem-building. Luffy can be shown in a dreamy state of mind/soul where he walked and interact with his devil fruit or even visualizing the metaphysical constructs of his haki as the part of him. Like an armor that he struggled to wear CoA? Like a river from which he tried to drink entirely but fail and only can drink a cup at a time? Like a spirit to whom he tries to get along with as CoO manifestation? Like a mythical whale which he tried to ride into CoC mastery? This will explore Luffy's uniqueness so much as we'll see his insight to befriend not only his enemies, but also the abstract structures of power. That way Luffy's power invention will feel smooth and earned. Btw i also feel Oda's dropped in creativity when executing Luffy's Gears or new powerups nowadays. If it's Luffy, the powerups should feel invented instead of granted. And that's where the next point happens.

- Too much of being a chosen one: CoC, VOAT, Future Sight, suspicious Devil Fruit, Garp's Grandson, Dragon's Son, Joy Boy, Nika? Please stop this. Luffy is granted every power in a chosen one's destiny. Oda can give him the very strongest like AdvCoC since it's his specialty, but if it's the strongest power ever, leave Luffy without CoO or even CoA. Make him depend on his fruit in order to increase his creativity on using it. Don't give him every lineage and chosen by heavens stuff. where is his effort to get all that? All we get is haki bloom in extreme fights etc. Where is him figuring out how to invent powers?

- Powerscaling restriction just for maintain underdog gimmick: As the future PK, post-TS Luffy gives the underdog vibe way too much from the start. He shouldn't even be involved in fights in Fishman Island and Punk Hazard. Give the spotlite to Zoro and Sanji while Luffy handles maybe Noah, but extremely easily. If only Oda remembers G3 stacking, then Luffy can always stack multiple G3s on top on each other and goes "Gomu2 no...Giganto Giganto Giganto Mammoth Gun." and oneshotted Noah away with a light swat using a fist that is larger tham Fishman Island itself. Now that, is a character that would be believable to take down Kaidou, BB, Shanks and Imu in the next arcs. Not someone struggling against Hody, Caesar and having complete incurable G4 amnesia due to the plot not allowing him to use it lol

- Maturity: my boi Luffy, be it in feeling something or in accomplishing something, you should have priorities. When you shares your decisions, strategies, heart-to-heart feelings to his nakama, the depth should be different than when you talk to other people. When you execute something, it's your decision and you are the main man holding the consequence if your nakama suffers consequences for it. Be the true leader when it matters. Formulate war tactics and ambushes properly in large-scale wars. No need to be involved in fighting fodders, save the energy to fight big bois. No bickering gags when Kaidou or BM personally shot fireballs at you. Respect the status and danger in arc climaxes, return the courtesy from the Yonkous by being the best and most creative combatant they will ever see as the payoff. Hold the expression of sadness and happiness for later, but after each wars ends? Feel free to pour your love and tears and tell the burden at the shoulders of nakama, Luffy. Feel free to tell them the dark secrets and dirty methods for you in order to win the previous wars. Feel free not only to celebrate but also to reflect and rest, to gently hug your inner circle. Etc etc

---

Welp this just turns into a love letter to Luffy lol.

Last edited:

When he's determined to accomplish something important. Protecting his friends, surpassing his enemies, etc.

"I don't care who you are or where you're from! But i will surpass you!"
"You are my nakama!"
"Say you wanna live!"

---

These moments send chill down my spine. Its roots is his doubtless feeling, be it care, love or competitive spirit.

- Luffy is the embodiment of adventure himself. He loves the journey, the process to every destination and island, he wants to explode with happiness whenever there're new lands to explore beneath his feet. Every MC has strong will and combat strength, but Luffy is one of the few rare ones who have creativity, internally being adventurous to reach it. When he dedicate himself to power, his approach is unrelenting and ultimately full of surprises, just like how he loves the physical journey. He reached G2-G3-G4 with his unpredictable methods, adaptability to formulate the most effective ways to getting stronger. Even with the newest powers, CoC Coating: He witnessed Ray's internal destruction CoA and then experienced Kaidou's CoC Coating, thus putting two and two together and performing the haki flow tech principle from internal destruction, and apply that principle using his CoC to achieve CoC Coating. That's him figuring how to maximize his potential and haki affinity. That's the sign of Luffy being the most combat-creative character in OP. Which i really like but also i feel the least-explored about, currently.

- His ruthlessness in expressing his love and dear towards his nakama is so raw, inhibited in emotions, and strong. When he directs his feeling towards something, he directs his feelings strongly.

Luffy drives the plot by being who he is lol. He has the power to befriend his former enemies, he has no hard feelings even to Crocodile who oppressed Vivi's country, even to Akainu who slaughtered his big brother. His effortless charms even affects Fujitora into wanting to get back his vision just in order to recognize his physical appearance. "What are his eyes look like?" (Well them eyes look like those of an idiot brat's to me!). This turns the tides of enemies into an army of comrades and friends, which in turn reciprocate his unstoppable dedication to protect.

- He has strong feeling and ability to identify strong points and weak points from his friends and also enemies, and act accordingly. He knows exactly which enemy to beat from the start, such as Lucci in Enies Lobby. While this may be his blooming CoO in action if we judge from post-TS standards powerscaling-wise, this also drives the plot further because he only knows how to defeat the strongest. Once he does that, he leaves other matters to the others. Since he can't do sword techs, he can't cook, he can't lie, he can't navigate, he can't cure others, but he can DEFEAT YOU, which is applied in very eye of the storm of each shonen arcs.

I think he has to work on his maturity, which is halted due to plot. Him witnessing Ace being magma-fisted should've embedded some stern within him, some concept of necessary evil or necessary sacrifice, some concept of war strategy and large-scale decision-making, some concept of no choice than to kill or annihilate. With skysplitter-class AdvCoC, he can win every final battle of 1v1. But if Luffy gains maturity, he can win thousands of wars and his nakamas don't have to suffer or force themselves through extra burden because of his stupidity in critical moments. Luffy can be stupid when the situation allows him to, but not in critical moments.

Nowadays it becomes a blur to me honestly. Pre-TS, he knows exactly who should be prioritized. But currently it's like he doesn't differentiate anymore between his inner circle (core nakamas) or alliance or even former enemies. They all friends for him and he wanna and gotta protect em all while bickering with em all, which is a subpar development as Luffy's character concept imo.

- Halt of internal exploration of combat creativity, lack of invention: Oda had set the bar real high when he showed Luffy's G2. In post-TS, Luffy's internal journey of trial and error in one-upping his rubber fruit's potential should be explored in full. Toriko had those internal journeys when he met each Appetite Demons and trying to interact with them one after another, some phases of him getting the hand of demonic powers. HxH doesn't even need to be mentioned as it's a masterpiece of powersystem-building. Luffy can be shown in a dreamy state of mind/soul where he walked and interact with his devil fruit or even visualizing the metaphysical constructs of his haki as the part of him. Like an armor that he struggled to wear CoA? Like a river from which he tried to drink entirely but fail and only can drink a cup at a time? Like a spirit to whom he tries to get along with as CoO manifestation? Like a mythical whale which he tried to ride into CoC mastery? This will explore Luffy's uniqueness so much as we'll see his insight to befriend not only his enemies, but also the abstract structures of power. That way Luffy's power invention will feel smooth and earned. Btw i also feel Oda's dropped in creativity when executing Luffy's Gears or new powerups nowadays. If it's Luffy, the powerups should feel invented instead of granted. And that's where the next point happens.

- Too much of being a chosen one: CoC, VOAT, Future Sight, suspicious Devil Fruit, Garp's Grandson, Dragon's Son, Joy Boy, Nika? Please stop this. Luffy is granted every power in a chosen one's destiny. Oda can give him the very strongest like AdvCoC since it's his specialty, but if it's the strongest power ever, leave Luffy without CoO or even CoA. Make him depend on his fruit in order to increase his creativity on using it. Don't give him every lineage and chosen by heavens stuff. where is his effort to get all that? All we get is haki bloom in extreme fights etc. Where is him figuring out how to invent powers?

- Powerscaling restriction: As the future PK, post-TS Luffy gives the underdog vibe way too much from the start. He shouldn't even be involved in fights in Fishman Island and Punk Hazard. Give the spotlite to Zoro and Sanji while Luffy handles maybe Noah, but extremely easily. If only Oda remembers G3 stacking, then Luffy can always stack multiple G3s on top on each other and goes "Gomu2 no...Giganto Giganto Giganto Mammoth Gun." and oneshotted Noah away with a light swat using a fist that is larger tham Fishman Island itself. Now that, is a character that would be believable to take down Kaidou, BB, Shanks and Imu in the next arcs. Not someone struggling against Hody, Caesar and having complete incurable G4 amnesia due to the plot not allowing him to use it lol

- Maturity: my boi Luffy, be it in feeling something or in accomplishing something, you should have priorities. When you shares your decisions, strategies, heart-to-heart feelings to his nakama, the depth should be different than when you talk to other people. When you execute something, it's your decision and he holds the consequence if your nakama suffers consequences for it. Be the true leader when it matters. Formulate war tactics and ambushes properly in large-scale wars. No need to involve in fighting fodders, save the energy to fight big bois. No bickering gags when Kaidou or BM personally shot fireballs at you. Respect the status and danger in arc climaxes, return the courtesy from the Yonkous by being the best and most creative combatant they will ever see as the payoff. Hold the expression of sadness and happiness for later, but after each wars ends? Feel free to pour your love and tears and tell the burden at the shoulders of nakama, Luffy. Feel free to tell them the dark secrets and dirty methods for you in order to win the previous wars. Feel free not only to celebrate but also to reflect and rest, to gently hug your inner circle. Etc etc

---

Welp this just turns into a love letter to Luffy lol.
Great analysis especially for that last part. Thanks for doing my job too. Oda made Luffy struggling to fodders to give that typical shonen underdog troupe backfired so much. Because of that so many retarded posts we have been seeing in this forum. The stupid writing of having him restricted by plot only to be saved by th plot again dented his growth and struggle he had to reach where he is. People can say as much as they want about Luffy being Oda golden child or whatever but that is false. Oda assassinated part of Luffy character just like he did with Sanji.

Luffy's quality:
1-Combat genius/strong!
2-Stands for justice,helps those in need!
3-Very brave and determined!

Luffy's flaws:
1-Very Dumb!
2-Very reckless!
3-Doesn't share his meat!
Yeah I think except for a few combat situations he didn't usually express a vast intelligence. Though I was surprised by how efficiently he fought Enel!

One thing which is rarely discussed that the events in gray terminal and what happened with Sabo triggered the lust of freedom in Luffy. And how Ace, Luffy and Dadan were powerless against the nobles. Previously Luffy just wanted to be a pirate because he thought they were cool. But then he realized how trash some of the nobles and the celestial Dragons are and these people are supported by WG. The only people who had guts enough to oppose them were pirates. Even during water 7. He says he knows who Robin's enemy is. Then he says to her that you can die when you are with us instead of dying under world govt.