• Luffy vs Moria

• Luffy vs Doflamingo

• Luffy vs Cracker

• Luffy vs Katakuri

• All

Results are only viewable after voting.
N

Noctis

I am fine with that flashback....you will see interactions between SN and their group with mugiwara group.....it is what we are lacking recently....I don't mind full chapter with interactions....that way character will be fleshed out....
Agreed. We need more chapter with main character interactions since we hardly having those chapter especially with Luffy who keeps getting separated from his crew one way or another lol

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shura

When you are in the sea, you fight pirates.....

Another simple yet awesome one liner given the timing.......

What do you think happen in the next chapter??....we will get naval battle or flashback on how ever met.....

I don't think flashback is necessarily at this point on how they met....what I need is some action with great spreads.....

What do you say guys??

N

Noctis

What do you think happen in the next chapter??....we will get naval battle or flashback on how ever met.....

I don't think flashback is necessarily at this point on how they met....what I need is some action with great spreads.....

What do you say guys??
Honestly, if there is no YC there on the ship then Naval battle gonna end before it starts lol

Though I think we're gonna see how Kid and Luffy met, how they end up in that situation and why plan was changed which I think kind of obvious

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony

What do you say guys??
If we do have a naval battle, it'll probably be brief. The ships being used are manned by fodder Beast Pirates. I think Oda would save a real naval battle for ones that involve named characters. We might see it later down the line, probably right after the explanation of how Luffy and the others made it to the promised port.

Speaking of explanation, I don't see us going too long without some explanation. Next chapter might be all about that, the heroes explaining to Kanjuro how they got there without any ports or paths leading to there, and figured him out. This might be where Kyoshiro reveals his true nature to the Alliance.

Also, it's hard to notice, but I think Luffy is wearing his captain's coat like Whitebeard does.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!

What do you say guys??
Luffy's genius is in his simplicity. It's unfortunate that popularized modern conventions of literary criticism have instilled the completely subjective notion of character change and psychological insight as the only "objective" measure of a character's quality. Luffy is perfect for the core message of One Piece's story. The narrative would be contradictory if he was Johan Liebert for example.

As for a naval battle, I wouldn't expect one. Orochi sent some low level fighters to sink a small boat, they're not worthy of a fight. I wouldn't be surprised if Luffy/Kid king hakis them out lol

There must be some sort of clarification on how the sunny/alliance survived. It's most likely Denjiro's plan. I'm betting on it being included in the next chapter.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Luffy's genius is in his simplicity. It's unfortunate that popularized modern conventions of literary criticism have instilled the completely subjective notion of character change and psychological insight as the only "objective" measure of a character's quality. Luffy is perfect for the core message of One Piece's story. The narrative would be contradictory if he was Johan Liebert for example.

As for a naval battle, I wouldn't expect one. Orochi sent some low level fighters to sink a small boat, they're not worthy of a fight. I wouldn't be surprised if Luffy/Kid king hakis them out lol

There must be some sort of clarification on how the sunny/alliance survived. It's most likely Denjiro's plan. I'm betting on it being included in the next chapter.
Exactly, not every character needs to be a dynamic. Stories come in many different forms. Luffy is a flat character, therefore he comes into the story already possessing the truth to its themes and ideals. The major course is how that character affects their plot, and it's up to the author to make that interaction interesting. So far, I'd say Oda's done a bang up job.

And he's managed to sprinkle in some dynamic growth along the way.

You summed up quite well what luffy is and how the one piece story goes:cheers:

Exactly, not every character needs to be a dynamic. Stories come in many different forms. Luffy is a flat character, therefore he comes into the story already possessing the truth to its themes and ideals. The major course is how that character affects their plot, and it's up to the author to make that interaction interesting. So far, I'd say Oda's done a bang up job.

And he's managed to sprinkle in some dynamic growth along the way.
I wouldn't say he's flat, he's just free. And I will quote the "Easy rider" movie: "it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em".

All luffy wants is to be the freest man in the world alongside his Nakamas. And in the one piece world that comes with strength.

Last edited:

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I wouldn't say he's flat, he's just free.
I'm not saying he is flat as a person. His character arc is that of the Flat character.Flat characters aren't bad. Luffy already understands what he wants and who he is. These thoughts and feelings already coincide with the overall themes Oda tries to convey through the story. His job is to make Luffy's interactions with the setting interesting, and positively change it in a dynamic fashion.

Most of the Strawhats after their recruiting can also be described as Flat characters. That doesn't mean they can't be interesting.

I'm not saying he is flat as a person. His character arc is that of the Flat character.Flat characters aren't bad. Luffy already understands what he wants and who he is. These thoughts and feelings already coincide with the overall themes Oda tries to convey through the story. His job is to make Luffy's interactions with the setting interesting, and positively change it in a dynamic fashion.

Most of the Strawhats after their recruiting can also be described as Flat characters. That doesn't mean they can't be interesting.
Well I see what you mean but I don't think the word "flat" is the good one here.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
This is probably one of the most profound scenes in One Piece and it never gets discussed when Luffy's characterization is the topic.

It's not that Luffy is ignorant of the world around him. It's not that he doesn't have the capacity to philosophically engage with the surrounding circumstances.

His experience with Gray terminal and Sabo's death made him fully understand what the outside world stands for in the One Piece story. He's come to terms with the limitations the WG puts on human dreams and pursues that meaning to its fullest. That's why if the world changes his ideals it would be contradictory. He must remain steadfast and true to his core beliefs while the world bends towards his philosophy if the series is to remain thematically consistent.

For example, Gon from HxH never had the experiences Luffy had as a child, hence he's still naive and never came to terms with the world before his adventure. That's why his character breaking in Chimera Ant (and the contrast with Killua who knew what the world was about) was brilliant because he never understood the depth of the world's darkness.

Luffy already knew before he set out that if you want to be free you'll put your life on the line. The scenes where he ignores the world news, or sleeps during important flashbacks are perfect character moments. There's nothing that someone can tell him about the world that he doesn't already know. There's nothing about the world that can change his ideals. He doesn't ignore because he doesn't have empathy. He ignores because he already reached an unshakable conclusion.

In chapter 10 when Buggy ordered Nami to kill him, he already told us what a pirate means in One Piece, he doesn't need to change.

TL:dR
Luffy is "flat" as in he doesn't change his ideals. But that's exactly why he's perfect for this narrative.