My Hero Academia - Chapter 387 - Congealing

Rate this chapter!

• Total voters
Its worth notin that Dabi actually did try to make amends, or believe that amends could be made.

After he was badly burnt and woke up, he realized he'd horribly mistreated his mother and still wanted to please his father. He didn't want much, he just wanted to see that his death had an impact on Endeavour.

That idea was shattered when he saw that Endeavour had not changed at all.

In other words, Endeavour made amends to his behaviour far too late for it to mean anything to Dabi.

If the Endeavour of the present story was the person that Touya ran into after waking up, Touya probably wouldn't have walked down this path.

This is not justifying his current actions. This is saying that Touya did make an attempt to make amends, but had that attempt quashed when he saw his life ultimately didn't matter to Endeavour.
That’s the sad part both Dabi and Endeavor trying to make amends in their own way is truly sad. I wonder if Rei or the or the other siblings can cool dabi in time so that he doesn’t explode.

Dunno why they had to differentiate Dabi's power vs Quirk awakening. They literally could've passed it off as that, but they made his powerup more of an asspull instead of using an established thing in the series.

G

Gorosei Informer

I don’t like at all Dabi having Ice powers

I wanted Dabi to be flame only
Completely agree, it takes away from Shoto's uniqueness and makes him feel like an ironic imitation of Shoto now too. I really liked how Hori showcased Dabi until now but I am not vibing with this ice quirk reveal.

Given Geten is now revealed to be related to the Todorokis to some degree as I always suspected and hoped for confirmation on, I rther he and Dabi would have just teamed up instead. Hori could have found a way to make Geten and Compress still involved, I'm cheesed they're both stuck in lockup and all that mystery/hype with Compress went nowhere too.

Completely agree, it takes away from Shoto's uniqueness and makes him feel like an ironic imitation of Shoto now too. I really liked how Hori showcased Dabi until now but I am not vibing with this ice quirk reveal.
How does this take away from Shoto's uniqueness as a character?
Post automatically merged:

Given Geten is now revealed to be related to the Todorokis to some degree as I always suspected and hoped for confirmation on, I rther he and Dabi would have just teamed up instead. Hori could have found a way to make Geten and Compress still involved, I'm cheesed they're both stuck in lockup and all that mystery/hype with Compress went nowhere too.
There was never any mystery with Compress. We always knew he'd been detained.

I don’t like at all Dabi having Ice powers

I wanted Dabi to be flame only
Wait i thought that was endeavour who freeze him to prevent him exploding, im new to this series the art and panel is weird most of the times also unlike one piece attack panel there is no build up before and there rarely impact after attack which is confusing lol

Wait i thought that was endeavour who freeze him to prevent him exploding, im new to this series the art and panel is weird most of the times also unlike one piece attack panel there is no build up before and there rarely impact after attack which is confusing lol
Bruh, Endeavour doesn't have freezing powers, and the action panelling this chapter was pretty clear.

G

Gorosei Informer

There was never any mystery with Compress. We always knew he'd been detained.
I was referring to his character in general. I thought he would be more important like Dabi and Toga are. Even Spinner has more relevancy now and he was the most brutally neglected by far.

Compress seeemed like he would be a big player, having his own ambitions, he was a real enigma but then there was that sudden reveal/outburst with his character after he was badly wounded and that was it. Completely underwhelming.

How does this take away from Shoto's uniqueness as a character?
Gosh you will defend anything with this series won't you? It's irritating. Can't say or think anything critical or negative of this series with you around.

Shoto is the only one with 2 quirks by nature, the only fire and ice user. Now he isn't because Dabi is too. Well its not 2 quirks per say with Shoto but it may as well be. 2 elements in 1 which would be 2 seperate quirks usually.

But then you again you guys think the series is being rushed which is also hilarious. Its finally at a more reasonable, rational pacing again, not rushed. It was stagnant, unbearable for ages.

So what the point of dabi cooling himself when he wanted to explode lol
He isn't doing this consciously. This is a "spur of the moment thing" where an ability he didn't know he had suddenly manifested. At this point, Dabi is basically unconscious.
Post automatically merged:

I was referring to his character in general. I thought he would be more important like Dabi and Toga are. Even Spinner has more relevancy now and he was the most brutally neglected by far.

Compress seeemed like he would be a big player, having his own ambitions, he was a real enigma but then there was that sudden reveal/outburst with his character after he was badly wounded and that was it. Completely underwhelming.
Not really?

Like, we already sort of had his "final show" back in the first war arc. He never really had the same spotlight or enigma as guys like Dabi or even Spinner.

It is underwhelming, but I think its clear that his character is pretty much done.
Shoto is the only one with 2 quirks by nature, the only fire and ice user. Now he isn't because Dabi is too. Well its not 2 quirks per say with Shoto but it may as well be. 2 elements in 1 which would be 2 seperate quirks usually.
Yeah, but that was never really what made Shoto unique as a character. Like, we had whole entire arcs about how "abilities don't define people" and all that.

And I think it adds to the tragedy of Endeavour's family while also making Dabi an even more literal inversion of Shoto.(Shoto initially was a guy who was so filled with hatred for his father he only used his ice side, now, ironically, Dabi is very much the same, with him only manifesting his ice powers in the most extreme of circumstances)
But then you again you guys think the series is being rushed which is also hilarious. Its finally at a more reasonable, rational pacing again, not rushed. It was stagnant, unbearable for ages.
I'm not a proponent of the series being rushed actually. For me, the pacing has been fine enough, though I do feel like there are places where Hori did skip over things(namely in the set up portion of this arc. Its gotten a bit annoying for tons of expository information and character moments that easily could have been shown before the war being relegated to flashbacks in the middle of the action).

Thankfully, we seem mostly clear of that, and are really into the meaty portion of the arc, where the heroes are really with their backs against the wall.

I think the pacing works a lot better on binge read generally, because the arc still isn't really that long, and it does shift around a lot to try and keep things consistently fresh(even if there isn't a lot of progression going on a lot of the time).

Last edited: