Controversial Nintendo finally sues Palworld

Do you feel it's deserved?

• Total voters
I doubt Nintendo will win this, Palworld is pretty much the definition of transformative.

Yes, it's inspired by pokemon among other things, that's about where it starts and ends
Nintendo one of the biggest video game company and the Pokemon Company another huge video company along with their many lawyers.

I would be a bit surprised if they actually lost.

Remember it's not just Nintendo but the Pokemon Company as well.

Also it seems like this has nothing to do with copyright but instead patent infringement.

It took a while for them to even finally sue, so I guess maybe they found some evidence.

I doubt Nintendo will win this, Palworld is pretty much the definition of transformative.
It'd be a pretty groundbreaking moment if the defendant (Palworld's side) manages to defend itself from this lawsuit.

Edit: This lawsuit is going to take place in Japanese court, from reading some of the reddit comments in a thread about this exact topic. Who knows how this lawsuit is going to turn out now?

Last edited:
It'd be a pretty groundbreaking moment if the defendant (Palworld's side) manages to defend itself from this lawsuit.

A similar idea as Pokemon, but somehow the gameplay and setting ends up completely different from what the game was originally "inspired" by.
How many similarities are there, really? I haven't played Palworld so I genuinely don't know. Does it just copy the whole capturing animals in balls and making them fight thing or is it even more than that

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Didn’t know Palworld before seeing this thread

just checked quickly what this was about and yeah after 2 seconds I can see some strong and shady similarities with the deigns of monsters etc

seems a bit too much lol

Is it deserved? Tbh, not sure. For me it's obvious copy but I could be biased.

That being said, I'm shocked Nintendo hasn't done it earlier. They're taking down non-profit Pokemon Fan games (and steal their ideas) way faster. Maybe they've waited more so that there'd be less people defending it online? idk

Nintendo once banned Pokemon Prism, that rom hack was better than anything Nintendo has ever done. They also banned Pokemon Uranium. Those jealous cucks that only cater to 6 year old players should either bulk up and make good games for older gen or let others do it. I play rom hacks more than the mainstream games. Them bringing out new emulators every year sucks ass too. Last main game I played was ORAS.
This.

They're banning non-profit fan games that keep community alive.

I remember playing some banned fan game (can't remember the name) that had Dynamax/Gigantamax like mechanic YEARS before Sword/Shield. Remember fighting some "Gigantamax" Gyarados there. Or how HMs are items now and were in most fan games in prior years.

How they're banning Palworld just now, idk.

Indigo

Let the Past Die
I do think it's weird how people say that Palworld is not copying anything and shit like that.

I mean, it's a blatant copy.

Many of the players say they made a "better Pokemon game than Game Freak did".

people are just mad because they hate Nintendo and like Palworld.

Despite all that, it's not a copyright lawsuit, but a patent infringement.

Looks like Nintendo did the work, realized they couldn't get them for copyright, and took this long to find something to go after them.

This could be a long struggle.

Well it quite clearly steals multiple ideas and pokemon designs from them, but the game itself is fairly different to any pokemon game I've ever played.

I'm surprised it became so popular especially given the clusterfuck that the multiplayer servers were. It only really consisted of catching pals and taking on a couple of bosses that didn't really have much of a backstory to them. The world itself is pretty empty but travelling is fun.

But it doesn't have any staying power, the player numbers for this game started high and just dropped off to nothing. Just looking for a quick payday in typical nintendo fashion.

It was expected, why did they take so long? Probably they waited for the fans to forget about the game before they strike. Yet I hope they lose because they can't own the concept idea to such a degree and also they didn't develop their product properly, we had the same games for decades, now they are improving the graphics but the best pokemon games are still the fan made like Reborn.