General & Others No seriously, One Piece’s world building is pretty bad

World building is the BEST one piece trait lol, it´s literally the reason to why this show is the most successful shonen of all time. I agree on power levels tho, naruto´s power level(before becoming DBZ) and hxh were way more interesting.

Bleach is my all time favorite, BANKAI will forever be my favorite catch phrase.

I think it's fine to dislike Oda's writing, whether it be worldbuilding, character-writing, whatever but I've never been a fan of people stating that something is objectively bad/good and that all the people who disagree are delusional or whatever. Seems a bit too pretentious to me and too much like trying to validate your argument with the belief that only your interpretation matters rather than just articulating your beliefs and letting opinions simply be opinions. People also seem to have different understandings of world-building, some seem to include the power systems while others don't so that also seems to cause further disagreement on these aspects of the story.

I don't really think people arguing about how significant the balance of powers is really means Oda didn't explain it well, people continue to bicker about plenty of things One Piece related for agenda-purposed or whatever. The Yonko are one of the powers that keep the Grand Line in check, the Navy does as well with the help of the 7 Warlords. Just because they're in balance doesn't mean they're all exactly equal in strength, just that the situation in the New World requires all powers present (or fitting replacements) to remain stable. One Emperor leaving to attack another, leaves them susceptible to an attack from a third party hence the system in place usually keeps the peace. Kaido and Big Mom wanted to ally to combat the Navy and to secure Ancient Weapons to really tip the scales for them (but Luffy's raid on Wano prevented that). The Seven Heavenly Warlords being disbanded and replaced by the SSG's Seraphim is also still a new occurrence and I feel like it's understandable to wait to see where this is all goes. Not sure this is all terribly explained. Even flaws in the system doesn't make the world-building objectively terrible.

Overall, I think Oda put a lot into explaining the One Piece world, the world government and the various factions in place. I'm not sure if the power-system would be included within world-building but if so then of course there are short-comings such as haki's explanation and how it compliments and counters the existing system of devil fruits and how it could've been utilised in a more satisfying way. But do flaws make it objectively bad? I don't think I agree and I think there's always room for discussion and other opinions.

-The revolutionaries are considered to be a threat to the wgyet the main wg boss does not even give a shit about them
-The yonko is a ficticious title given by newspaper and not about influence
-Goofys devil fruit
-Mihawks entire worlds strongest swordsman not a mentionof him in wano
-Red head homo getting scarred by a pre gura gura yami yami teach
-Bounties
-Teach having a 0 belrry bounty
Awakenings

One piece's world building is awful only idiots do not see it. Oda is making a shitload of money selling artistic fecals

The power system (yes, this is world building) is objectively bad. The balance of powers (a central defining aspect of the political and military structure of the world) is poorly explained to the point where we have been arguing about it for a decade. Most of the “deep lore” (like Vegapunk’s explanation of the origin of fruits, void century stuff, Joyboy, etc) is vague to where you can’t tell if it’s actually interesting or if the reveals will actually be good (a clever move by Oda). And there’s a dozen or so more problems, these ones are just the immediately obvious ones.
You are mixing things up and calling everything as world building just to justify your statement.

World building is different from power system and is different from lore. Those are 3 different things.

One Piece has an amazing World Building, Oda makes a good job connecting each island plot with how the island is structured and how those citizens act.

One Piece power system is very debatable. What would be a good power system? I find haki a good one and disagree with those calling DF a power system. How Oda deals with his own power system is way different though.

And finally the lore, it is a shit lore. I was never into One Piece because of it and no one ever was. One Piece is about adventures in each island and to see Luffy become the Pirare King. Not a fucking kingdom that went down 800 years ago and Celestial dragons, WG etc. This is recently new. No one wants to change the world, Robin just wants to find out the story not to change the future.

Rej

Year of the black beard!
Its not compareable to other stories right now.
All I know is that it's good/decent/solid atleast, but there is no reference to whether it's the best or if there is a chance it's bad. Bad is subjective as always.

One Piece is unique and shouldnt be compared to Batman comics, Harry Potter books or other Shounen writingwise, since One Piece operates on a larger scale, with different variables.

I personally love the World Building, it was what hooked me when I was younger, since I have never been an edgelord sucker for battles and imaginative matchups. It's definitely vague and inconsistent at some occasions, but it is bound to happen if one opperates on such a huge scale.

World building is different from power system and is different from lore. Those are 3 different things.
Yes, but power system and lore are apart of worldbuilding.

This is a strawman, I never said they were the same thing just that they are in the category.

And I’m correct about that. Otherwise the rest of what you wrote is literal nonsense.

The one piece world is very large, but it isn't very deep. imo, series like Dune or ASOIF have much better world building in this regard.

It seems as if every important character just bides their time and does nothing until the straw hats interact with them. This causes the OP world to feel less like an actual living world, and more like a video game.

Junatic

Lunatic Queen
The one piece world is very large, but it isn't very deep. imo, series like Dune or ASOIF have much better world building in this regard.

It seems as if every important character just bides their time and does nothing until the straw hats interact with them. This causes the OP world to feel less like an actual living world, and more like a video game.
True. Consistency's only one aspect (and it's already questionable in regard to OP), it's also abt how dynamic, entertaining and alive the world feels.

And even an idea that's consistent with the world ain't automatically a good idea. I can think of a million things that are consistent with the story but either hurt the entertainment or are thematically dumb cause they don't serve character development or underlying messages of the story (Seraphims bein the most recent example and a pretty good one imo).

Yes, but power system and lore are apart of worldbuilding.

This is a strawman, I never said they were the same thing just that they are in the category.

And I’m correct about that. Otherwise the rest of what you wrote is literal nonsense.
"Worldbuilding is the process of constructing a world, originally an imaginary one, sometimes associated with a fictional universe. Developing an imaginary setting with coherent qualities such as a history, geography, and ecology is a key task for many science fiction or fantasy writers." Wikipedia.

You are mistaking World Build to the story as a whole. Everything mixed, world building + power system + lore = story.