Theory Now it all makes sense, Shanks is a god of war!

I'll make this short because I don't have a lot of time. Basically, with the knowledge of Gorosei being named after the roman names of planets in the solar sytem, we can assume each member of the gorosei possesses personality characteristics, "qualities" and general attributes of each planet, to a degree. The most obvious example to this is Luffy, who is based on sun, or the sun god Nika. Now, Luffy's qualities correspond to him being "The Sun" because of his role in the story, his power, as well as his joyful/warm personality and more.

Now, Shanks is an individual who on the surface appears to be friendly, kind and generally a good person. While that's definitely true, there's also a side to him that's been heavily hinted throughout the series, his anger/rage. Since I plan to keep this short, I'm not going to pull out every manga panel that showcases various people not wanting to make Shanks angry or being careful around him, since you are all competent readers who most likely already know this. Now onto, Shanks' character design.

Shanks red hair, his ship all draw influence from Viking history and mythology. But the biggest thing here is the Aesir god that inspired Shanks' character and that is Týr , the god of order, justice but most importantly, war. Shanks shares red hair with Tyr, a missing arm, ( which Tyr also sacrificed )as well as being a powerful swordsman. While this isn't something completely new, with the information we currently have we can draw some conclusions from this. The roman paralel to Tyr is Mars, also the god of war. So what else links Shanks to Tyr/Mars aside from what I've mentioned? Well it's his background. We know that Shanks' most likely has a celestial dragon origin. If that's true, then Shanks' parents or better said a parent, had to be a former Mars ruler/gorosei. That means that Shanks' himself is the mars, or his father was. This would explain why everyone is wary of him, why he can talk to gorosei and why nobody dares to challenge him. But, that's not only due to supposed origin, but to the fact that Shanks, as god of war or Mars, possesses terrible anger/rage that's characteristic of war gods. We don't know whether this rage is tied to his powers, or is a result from some past trauma or something, but it's clear that is one side of him that we are bound to see more.

So, the question here is, if Shanks is Mars and possesses powers of rage, could he be an ancient weapon? Why does that makes him so powerful? Is it a power tool, or political implication? I don't know, but its definitely very interesting.

Apollo

The Sol King
Good theory. One theory I've always had was that one of the Gorosei wasn't supposed to be originally there:

Compared to the rest of the Gorosei who are old, this is the only one who has his hair colored and looks young among them. It makes me think that he may be a replacement of a former Gorosei. If your theory is true, then the blond Gorosei probably took Shanks' seat because Shanks was taken by Roger.

I'll make this short because I don't have a lot of time. Basically, with the knowledge of Gorosei being named after the roman names of planets in the solar sytem, we can assume each member of the gorosei possesses personality characteristics, "qualities" and general attributes of each planet, to a degree. The most obvious example to this is Luffy, who is based on sun, or the sun god Nika. Now, Luffy's qualities correspond to him being "The Sun" because of his role in the story, his power, as well as his joyful/warm personality and more.

Now, Shanks is an individual who on the surface appears to be friendly, kind and generally a good person. While that's definitely true, there's also a side to him that's been heavily hinted throughout the series, his anger/rage. Since I plan to keep this short, I'm not going to pull out every manga panel that showcases various people not wanting to make Shanks angry or being careful around him, since you are all competent readers who most likely already know this. Now onto, Shanks' character design.

Shanks red hair, his ship all draw influence from Viking history and mythology. But the biggest thing here is the Aesir god that inspired Shanks' character and that is Týr , the god of order, justice but most importantly, war. Shanks shares red hair with Tyr, a missing arm, ( which Tyr also sacrificed )as well as being a powerful swordsman. While this isn't something completely new, with the information we currently have we can draw some conclusions from this. The roman paralel to Tyr is Mars, also the god of war. So what else links Shanks to Tyr/Mars aside from what I've mentioned? Well it's his background. We know that Shanks' most likely has a celestial dragon origin. If that's true, then Shanks' parents or better said a parent, had to be a former Mars ruler/gorosei. That means that Shanks' himself is the mars, or his father was. This would explain why everyone is wary of him, why he can talk to gorosei and why nobody dares to challenge him. But, that's not only due to supposed origin, but to the fact that Shanks, as god of war or Mars, possesses terrible anger/rage that's characteristic of war gods. We don't know whether this rage is tied to his powers, or is a result from some past trauma or something, but it's clear that is one side of him that we are bound to see more.

So, the question here is, if Shanks is Mars and possesses powers of rage, could he be an ancient weapon? Why does that makes him so powerful? Is it a power tool, or political implication? I don't know, but its definitely very interesting.
Good theory. One theory I've always had was that one of the Gorosei wasn't supposed to be originally there:

Compared to the rest of the Gorosei who are old, this is the only one who has his hair colored and looks young among them. It makes me think that he may be a replacement of a former Gorosei. If your theory is true, then the blond Gorosei probably took Shanks' seat because Shanks was taken by Roger.
I love this theory and the little addition.
One of the best theories I've read in a long ass time.
I'd love so much if it came true