Character Discussion OMG Shanks Is Such A Nice Person!!

WOW!

He’s just letting people hit him, not fighting back at all because he doesn’t want to hurt them. What a good person!

This is super subtle and well written, and definitely not an extremely cringe effort to shout out at us that’s he’s a good guy.
His eyes are those of a sadboi tho. If he gonna play victim like dat, Oda better give him haki arm lol.

Btw if what you want is a solid character writingby nitpicking, you won't find it apply to everyone even in top mangas. Even Berserk's Griffith was already an empty shell with redundancy since battling Ganishka for the first time, not a hint of character depth subtlety that much either, instead what we got was a badass mysterious Bleach-style one-liner. Guts was just an edgy boy ever during his arcs, not much of a subtle stuff developing to his character or happening to his motive either.

Berserk peaked in Eclipse but since then it's mostly filled with edgy stuff with...i'll give it, masterful monologues and dilligent art. If you want character depth then imo in manga world only Vagabond has it consistently. HxH had it occasionally, but One Piece is not the place for subtlety and character development since OP is all about raw emotion and declaration and mission, all character-related stuff is straightforward here. I know that i wish OP can have Berserk despair moments and Vagabond character moments and HxH plot-progressing character interactions, but Oda just doesnt have it.