News ONE PIECE 7TH Characters Popularity Poll Announcement !!

This is my problem with him as well. He comes with the burdens of being a kid character without the naturally endearing qualities which come from being a kid due to how self aware he's presented.

Going further with your Kid Zoro suggestion, I think Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin is exactly what you're asking for. He was a headstrong brat who desired to be a great samurai just like his father before him. He grew steadily strong with each arc, and eventually inherited Kenshin's sakabato (reverse blade). His relationship with Kaoru was also much better, being a cross between unruly siblings and master/student, and less offputting than Momo's interactions with Nami, which only reduced to her as cushion for his lecherousness. It feels a little unfair for me to compare Momo to Yahiko, though, since the latter is a primary cast member who has some of the best development in the series, whereas Momo is just a supporting character for the Wano saga, even if he's an important one. But what I'm getting at is, Momo should be written a little more like a little boy. Heck, scenes showing him training with Zoro, developing his male interactions a bit, could go a long way. It would also show Zoro as more of a mentor, highlighting his maturation over his journey.

I still think it's possible in writing him as the unassuming kid and making it work, since Oda's intent was for Momo to be so far removed from his dad, even having a bald head to contrast with Oden's crazy flat-top.
Totally agree with Yahiko cause he never came as obnoxious to me. I really liked his romantic relationship with Tsubame. I think Oda can accomplish the same things if he play his cards cards correctly. Little boys can be endearing when they are tougher and more mature than their age.

I think Momonosuke is a lot more likable when he is with Tama

They kinda act like brother and sister...

I actually like his scene with the little girl Ginko.

Its interesting that you mention Kaoru as a mentor because I think Tashigi and Kenshin's wife are very similar in terms of personality and style. Oden's son is in dire need of a mentor who will teach him maturity, overcoming his insecurity, and bravery (have a lot in common). The Kuina lookalike happens to be an excellent teacher.

Petition for Hiking Bear to replace Momo as future Shogun as Wano, everyone? :gokulaugh:

Which is ironic when it’s true that Kuina is a better written child character than Momo. Even when she appeared in a flashback.
Given that a large portion of the story is dedicated to his aim, Momo is likely the most poorly written male character in One Piece. May well be Oda's weakest character work as an author, honestly.

Kin'emon also gets mentionable amount of panel time and characterization, let's see where this leader of Akazaya ranks lol
Could have been a lot worse, honestly. He could have had Momo's place. At least he has more fans than a lowlife like Spandam...who has more fans than Momo. :milaugh:

Totally agree with Yahiko cause he never came as obnoxious to me. I really liked his romantic relationship with Tsubame. I think Oda can accomplish the same things if he play his cards cards correctly. Little boys can be endearing when they are tougher and more mature than their age.

I think Momonosuke is a lot more likable when he is with Tama

They kinda act like brother and sister...

I actually like his scene with the little girl Ginko.

Its interesting that you mention Kaoru as a mentor because I think Tashigi and Kenshin's wife are very similar in terms of personality and style. Oden's son is in dire need of a mentor who will teach him maturity, overcoming his insecurity, and bravery (have a lot in common). The Kuina lookalike happens to be an excellent teacher.

This criticism is spot on.

I never really liked Yahiko even until the original series ended, but I agree he became less irritating as the series progresses and that his character development was at least visible.

Momo was just...there. Bland as fuck. The fact that you correctly pointed out how his best moments are carried by other characters amplify the fact that he simply is not engaging enough to drive a story by himself.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Yup, we discussed this a few weeks back. Someone who can related to Momo to some degree, whilst helping him overcome his burdens of inadequacies, could help him develop more as a character. Tama is a good partnership, as it highlights their naïve natures, like Momo not knowing of the world beyond his royal heritage, or Tama's informality from being a country girl. They help remind you that Momo is indeed a kid being overwhelmed with a lot of responsibilities, rather than an unlikeable troll.

I agree on the Kaoru/Tashigi resemblances. It's part of why I latched on to Tashigi so quickly when I first read One Piece over a decade ago. She has many similar qualities to Kaoru, while possessing enough differences not to feel like a clone.

Last edited:
Petition for Hiking Bear to replace Momo as future Shogun as Wano, everyone? :gokulaugh:

Given that a large portion of the story is dedicated to his aim, Momo is likely the most poorly written male character in One Piece. May well be Oda's weakest character work as an author, honestly.

Could have been a lot worse, honestly. He could have had Momo's place. At least he has more fans than a lowlife like Spandam...who has more fans than Momo. :milaugh:

This criticism is spot on.

I never really liked Yahiko even until the original series ended, but I agree he became less irritating as the series progresses and that his character development was at least visible.

Momo was just...there. Bland as fuck. The fact that you correctly pointed out how his best moments are carried by other characters amplify the fact that he simply is not engaging enough to drive a story by himself.
I do think charismatic characters need others to balance out their personalities. For instance, I find Law really boring but his abilities, and design really make up for him in the polls. I think he was more endearing as a character when Bepo was not a side character because his cute personality brought a nice contrast to Law's bad boy and edgier attitude. Another example,

Iron Man 2 is essentially Tony Stark messing around for two hours and it was kinda of boring. In contrast, RDJ shines more when he is put against Captain America in Civil War.

Oda has failed to create some kind of interesting dynamics with Momo with any characters including Luffy. Kiri and I are just pointing out how Oda could make his character more interesting.

Yup, we discussed this a few weeks back. Someone who can related to Momo to some degree, whilst helping him overcome his burdens of inadequacies, could help him develop more as a character. Tama is a good partnership, as it highlights their naïve natures, like Momo not knowing of the world beyond his royal heritage, or Tama's informality from being a country girl. They help remind you that Momo is indeed a kid being overwhelmed with a lot of responsibilities, rather than an unlikeable troll.

I agree on the Kaoru/Tashigi resemblances. It's part of why I latched on to Tashigi so quickly when I first read One Piece over a decade ago. She has many similar qualities to Kaoru, while possessing enough differences not to feel like a clone.
I just think Momo and Kinemon are not good enough characters to allocate them that much screentime. I do think Tashigi would have been a much more endearing choice as a temporary travel companion. In my headcanon, something bad happens to Smoker on PH because of Doflamingo. Tashigi decides to travel with the SH to take down the Warlord in DR . This time she emerges victorious from her opponent and save a Kingdom by her own strength which would have been a phenomenal character development for her. She has really a high degree of chemistry with the main characters because as you said she is the boring bookish school counselor type surrounded by weirdos which clicks immediately (fish out of water).