General & Others One Piece and Gear 5

Do you agree?

• yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Hello everyone, Wanted to share my point of you of the current state of One Piece and wanted to know if you guys agree or disagree with me.

Started my One Piece Journey just at the beginning of Fishman island, Some 13 years ago. I am (or was) the kind of reader that let any of the things I didn't like or agree with of Oda's writing slide, always giving the 5 star rating, here, on orojackson, and Arlong park before that. But recently for the first time I hit a point where I wasn't able to swallow some of the decisions or directions Oda choose.

For instance One Piece has always been goofy, funny and outlandish, but for me a core aspect was that when the situation required it, at the climax of unfolding events, Luffy always got serious and dealt with it seriously. Some of the serious entrances Luffy made across the series are some of the best moments for me personally.

Now I don't dislike gear 5, but I felt that the comedic aspect of it completely killed the Kaido fight. Now I don't want to get into a power level discussion but Kaido was up there with the strongest in the world, even if he wasn't the strongest the gap between him and the strongest were minimal, to turn such an important fight and culmination of almost 500 chapters into a comedic display utterly killed it for me. I haven't been able to swallow that even now.

Never-mind the purposely left out awakening of Kaido and Big Mom, but to suddenly give it to Lucci and Kaku was an other aspect that made me throw my hands in the air. Like why? Why would you just diminish further one of the most important and most built up villains in the story until now. Completely don't understand the direction Oda is choosing.

I'm going to keep reading One Piece until the end, but those two decisions, especially the latter really really really left a sour taste in my mouth.

I know in the next fights luffy will have, eventually they will become serious, but the gap between those upcoming 1/2 or maybe 3 villains compared to Kaido are so small, It would hurt Kaidos whole saga even more and simultaneously those upcoming villains also.

Did you guys also experience this? Just wondering. Cheers

I didn't get that sense from the Kaido fight, because of how the fight itself was designed. Both Luffy and Kaido were enjoying themselves while fighting. The longer the fight went on, the more and more they were having fun, and there never really felt like a moment arose where it was time for Luffy to act serious, like in all his previous fights. The whole fight felt like it was designed to segue into G5, and not lose any momentum in doing so. If it wasn't for that, then yeah, I can see what you mean, but for me, the fight flowed into G5 perfectly.

There were definitely issues I took in how this fight played out, but the goofiness of G5 wasn't one of them.

I disagree with the awakening thing, I don't really care that Kaido didn't show it. He was still the strongest character.
But I agree with G5, it's too goofy to take it seriously, and it's not visually appealing nor impressive. It's like he is not fighting but playing

Whitebeard apparently also wasn't awakened, neither were any of his crewmates despite having their fruits for decades.
I think Oda will either retcon them later, something like: wb was muh too old to use it. Meme might be the easiest to declare awakened as her powers influenced a lot of stuff outside her direct range.

With kaido, I can imagine he forbid his crew to awaken as he might saw disadvantage in them becoming one with the animal which might takes their minds from them. Somehow like Pikachu who stayed the same since raichu is fat and gross.

But yeah. Considering the BBP and their greed for power I am quite sure at least some of them will be awakened in record time, regardless of the risks. Remember BBs words to law? The advantages outweigh the drawbacks.

I'm pissed off with One Piece much earlier than you.

Already hated how Oda handled Cracker fight. Making BM seem to one-shot Luffy the Katakuri fight ending Kaido one-shotting Luffy.

It was all terrible decisions. But only after G5 I finally "dropped" One Piece. I can't really not bother at all to not read specially spoilers, some are fun to chill with WG community. But I don't give a shit like I used to do back in those days.