Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 988: "I've kept you waiting"

Rate

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jo_Ndule

Just a quick thought about overall consistency issues:
We all know that Luffy is the main protagonist and strongest fighter of the SHs.
There is a small gap to Zoro and then again another small gap to Sanji. It has been this way since day one, no discussion here.

Here comes my problem: We all saw what happened in the Luffy vs Katakuri fight.

Luffy was pummeled for 95% of the fight and only managed to "win" in the end (after 12 hours btw), because he ran away for quite some time and Katakuri actually had honor/mercy (significantly injuring himself).

Remind you - that was Luffy against a YC1.

I just don't see how Oda can pull off satisfying victories for Zoro and Sanji against King/Queen, without us always having to think about consistency issues.

When even Luffy basically only managed a draw/flawed victory against Katakuri, with all the plot conveniences in the world, how can you justify Sanji and Zoro doing exactly the same thing right now, probably in even way less time?
King and Queen aren't invincibles as Katakuri or rocks duo
You can land hits or hurt calamities easily even without fs/adcoa. You don't need g4 tier attack to beat them.

Oda went his way to make Kaido, linlin and kata to be dudes that can't be matched/hurt/beaten unless you have top tie haki.

You can't compare Kata to King, if Kata didn't have FS and Logialike fruit + Awakening, this would make sense that Zoro and Sanji can't solo King and Queen.

Jaguark101

"Dreams are Messages from the Deep"
‎‎
That's really Interesting that Mihawk's original titile was gonna be "Clairvoyant". The meaning of that word is "a person who claims to have a supernatural ability to perceive events in the future or beyond normal sensory contact". I bet his eyes are gonna be something special, perhaps maybe even be the most advanced form of Observation Haki

King and Queen aren't invincibles as Katakuri or rocks duo
You can land hits or hurt calamities easily even without fs/adcoa. You don't need g4 tier attack to beat them.

Oda went his way to make Kaido, linlin and kata to be dudes that can't be matched/hurt/beaten unless you have top tie haki.

You can't compare Kata to King, if Kata didn't have FS and Logialike fruit + Awakening, this would make sense that Zoro and Sanji can't solo King and Queen.
Only think special about King and Queen is there Zoan DF and maybe CoA thats all

N

NeutralWatcher

yeah it baffles me that people still think sanji is going to fight queen
If Sanji's main fight is not King, then Oda should have King was the only one near Momonosuke so when Sanji saved Momonosuke it made sense that King chased him but Oda made King and Queen near Momonosuke and King was the one who chased Sanji or reacted to Sanji not Queen. Oda chose this for obvious reason.

If Sanji's main fight is not King, then Oda should have King was the only one near Momonosuke so when Sanji saved Momonosuke it made sense that King chased him but Oda made King and Queen near Momonosuke and King was the one who chased Sanji or reacted to Sanji not Queen. Oda chose this for obvious reason.
Many fans ignore that fact but at end of the day they are all salty and they dont live in same reality
:funky::smithnie:

N

NeutralWatcher

B..bu...but King is the strongest Swordsman in wano :josad:
I really think Oda would find a way for Zoro to be close to Mihawk's strength without him fighting King.

Is it really necessary for Zoro to defeat all swordman before he fights Mihawk?

Since Zoro has to beat Vista (unlikely), Shanks, BM (Luffy whould be the one to beat these yonko), Shiki.

Maybe once Zoro fight Shilliew he would get a massive boost in CoO and makes him able to compete with Mihawk.

i kinda feel bad for sanji haters they were so sure king was going to fight zoro so they wanked king so hard declaring him as the second strongest yonko right hand and now they don’t know what to do, they are still in denial

i kinda feel bad for sanji haters they were so sure king was going to fight zoro so they wanked king so hard declaring him as the second strongest yonko right hand and now they don’t know what to do, they are still in denial
Once the matchup continues and they can't deny it anymore they will start making arguments about how weak King is. Nothing against Zoro fans btw, just the haters. I love both characters.

Sorry, but that's bullshit.

Luffy had already defeated Doflamingo and still would've lost to Cracker, if not for Nami.
Even while winning against both those foes - which were way more powerful than anything Zoro or Sanji have faced so far - he still got absolutely dominated for like 95% of the fight against Katakuri.

Zoro swapped his black blade (!) against one, that has to become a black blade first. Sanji got his raidsuit, that gives him more durability and speed, but we already saw that he didn't even look like he was vastly superior compared to Page One or Drake.

Those "pwerups" are hardly comparable to Luffy gaining future sight or advanced armament haki as powerups btw.

If Zoro and Sanji were able to defeat actual YCs right now, it's objectively just very inconsistent writing, no way to sugarcoat it.

That does not mean that I expect them not to defeat YCs this arc, don't get this wrong. I fully expect Oda to make them beat King/Queen, which I just find lazy though. That was the whole point of my first post.
Join the tag team hype train

None of them will be able to solo the calamities

No Luffy is aiming to be the pirate king and is stronger than both at both, he is gunning for Yonko level, all the way back to Arlong Park his thing was being stronger than his crew, we haven't even seen what advanced CoC does yet, so magazine comments designed to hype all the main fighters shouldn't be taken out of context, just because speed is Sanji's forte doesn't mean he is faster than snakeman, just because AP is Zoro's forte doesn't mean he is more damaging than king kong gun.
Numerically speaking if due to his speciality being CoO, Sanji's CoO is 9 and his CoA is 7 that doesn't mean either are above Luffy's 9.5 CoO or 9.5 CoA, it just means that he personally is specialized towards CoO.

With a little bit of a hint he learned penetration haki which only he has on the island of Wano unless proven otherwise.
Sanji doesn't have Katakuri level future sight unless proven otherwise, and a long range jelly bean isn't conclusive proof for that.

So yes Luffy is better in all areas of haki than his crewmates, as it should be he is aiming to become a haki master type character like Roger/Shanks, unless you think Rayleigh has better CoA than Roger and Scopper has better CoO, which just seems weird.

Pre-skip Luffy unlocked the beginnings of future sight all the way back in his fight against Mihawk.
The fact that their arguement is that Luffy is supposed to be a Complete fighter, is laughable.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry, but that's bullshit.

Luffy had already defeated Doflamingo and still would've lost to Cracker, if not for Nami.
Even while winning against both those foes - which were way more powerful than anything Zoro or Sanji have faced so far - he still got absolutely dominated for like 95% of the fight against Katakuri.

Zoro swapped his black blade (!) against one, that has to become a black blade first. Sanji got his raidsuit, that gives him more durability and speed, but we already saw that he didn't even look like he was vastly superior compared to Page One or Drake.

Those "pwerups" are hardly comparable to Luffy gaining future sight or advanced armament haki as powerups btw.

If Zoro and Sanji were able to defeat actual YCs right now, it's objectively just very inconsistent writing, no way to sugarcoat it.

That does not mean that I expect them not to defeat YCs this arc, don't get this wrong. I fully expect Oda to make them beat King/Queen, which I just find lazy though. That was the whole point of my first post.
This I also have to say is good.
Imo Zoro and Sanji just aren't and shouldn't be at a YC3 level they didn't stand a chance against Doflamingo. Why should a couple power ups jump their power so high.
Post automatically merged:

Actually you’re right, Zoro isn’t gunning for Yonko level he is gunning to be even stronger !
False in a way. Pirate King is higher than the Yonko. Zoro just wants to be WSS. Just like how if you place WSS above the Yonko, that doesn't make it true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.