One Piece Episode 1003 - A Heroic Blade! The Red Scabbards vs. Kaido, Again Once More

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • 4/5

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • 3/5

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • 2/5

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 1/5

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 0/5

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
One Piece EPISODE 1003
"A Heroic Blade! The Red Scabbards vs. Kaido, Again Once More"

悲壮の刃!赤鞘VSカイドウ再び
Hisō no Yaiba! Akazaya tai Kaidō Futatabi

Opening 23 | DREAMIN' ON - Da-iCE
Chapter(s) : -

Screenplay | 冨岡淳広 - Atsuhiro Tomioka
Art | 黄国威 - Guo Wei Huang
Animation | 高木雅之 - Masayuki Takagi
Direction | 道端菜名実 - Nanami Michibata
Storyboard | 細田雅弘 - Masahiro Hosoda & 道端菜名実 - Nanami Michibata & 長峯達也 - Tatsuya Nagamine
Airdate: December 12, 2021

[Episode 1004 PREVIEW]

OP 23 - TV Size

Upcoming Schedule:
Episode 1004 - December 19, 2021
Episode 1005 - January 9, 2022
(Debut of Opening 24 | PAINT - I Don't Like Mondays)

Last edited:
This was a good episode.

Inuarashi and Neko looking beastly in their Sulong form and they are strong as hell. They weren't kidding when they said they had a trump card up their sleeve.

Kaido cares more for his crew then Big Mom does for her kids lol, that was kind of a nice moment.

It seems like we might be getting Carrot/Wanda vs Perospero which I think had to happen after what happened to Pedro at WCI.

Big Mom actually giving Marco some respect to his name, she is not even angry towards Marco for joining Luffy's side.
She is also reasonable while talking to Perospero:. "I know how you feel, but you have to trust me" and not just being angry at him.

Kinemon cuting Kaido's "boro breath" and even making him bleed a little was pretty dope.

Doesn't actually look too bad(when its not moving).

It seems they're just using that for still shots.

Anyway, the art this episode was really nice.
The fact that they even made a 3D model for him after all these years animating him in 2D just speaks volumes of them being tired of doing the latter.

Expect a lot more CGI scenes with this from now on. Whether static or in motion.

and Expect the inevitable backlash about it in social media.

The fact that they even made a 3D model for him after all these years animating him in 2D just speaks volumes of them being tired of doing the latter.
I mean, I think it'll only be for certain shots, in the NEP he is very clearly still being animated in 2D.

Expect a lot more CGI scenes with this from now on. Whether static or in motion.

and Expect the inevitable backlash about it in social media.
I think it could be a sort of "Kidd's arm situation", but even then, Kidd's arm is also animated 2D sometimes. It just depends on the animator and resources

• Did Queen base his Ice Oni off Yamato in appearance and power? There's an odd connection I was never able to make.

• Must suck to dye your mammoth wool a lush brown between Zou and Wano arc just so a cat and dog can tear it up.

• I like that Big Mom gives Marco the respect he deserves. :phoenixmarco:She takes the time to pose and announce her grand ambitions as if he's a true psuedo-Yonko.
  • Kaido watching Nangi and the fodder get slaughtered::kaimoji: Kaido when they mess with his son Jack::halt:

• Mammoth Jack is actually kind of cute panting heavily on the ground and looking pathetic.

• Marco explaining the differences between the Whitebeard family bonds (compassion, respect, loyalty) and the Big Mom family bonds (fear, biology, power) is an interesting moment. The message went into one of her ears and out the other.
  • Kaido taking advantage that he talks without moving his jaw to monologue with a fireball in his mouth:milaugh:

• Giving Boro Breath a radiating appearance was beautiful. As if Kin'emon cut the sun itself and brought forth the night.

• CG Dragon Kaido is trippy. A sign of things to come?
Episode was nice for the most part. Good art throughout, decent animation with a banger at the end. Some creative direction with Carrot meeting Wanda, Marco and Big Mom, Kaido and the Scabbards. Lovely OST choices, though Black Maria's song needed set the mood and transition to the rooftop fight rather than act as standalone scene. A victim of the Jack and Kaido fights getting cut up and distributed throughout the episode. The Jack material was not too satisfying. Slide show recap, sequences from 1000 rewritten, a quick low effort fight. Now I wish he was finished off in 1000, but I'll give the anime some credit since Oda off paneled my boy. Kaido Vs Scabbards is looking sweet so far, next episode we get our first true taste of a rooftop fight.