One Piece Episode 938 - Shaking the Nation - The Identity of Ushimitsu Kozo The Chivalrous Thief

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • 4/5

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • 3/5

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
One Piece EPISODE 938
"Shaking the Nation - The Identity of Ushimitsu Kozo The Chivalrous Thief"
衝撃走る 義賊丑三つ小僧の正体
Shōgeki Hashiru - Gizoku Ushimitsu Kozō no Shōtai​

Opening 23 | DREAMIN' ON - Da-iCE
Chapter(s) : -

Airdate: August 23, 2020

Episode 939 PREVIEW

OP 23 -TV Size

Last edited:
  • Yasu enduring the torture with a smile. He can't help but smile but paired with his comments it's so badass:steef:
  • The subtle foreshadowing from Orochi's flashback and Kyoshiro scratching the floor are some nice touches.
  • Drunk Kaido yelling at Queen was hilarious. Komurasaki's dead! SHES DEAAAAAD. I doubt he gives a damn one way or another about some geisha, he's just happy to stomp all over his boy's heart.
  • Carrot and Wanda getting extra screen time as spies is adorable.
  • The 4th Calamity Hold'em taking on Ashura and burning down his mountain.:doffytroll:The Zenkai boost is real.
  • I love Hold'em's whip-sword and especially how he sets it on fire, manga gave us none of that fanservice. Mount Atamayama in blazes also looked great.
  • Toko's extended crying and running then falling in the snow. :josad:Damn, she got me.
  • Yasu's walk of shame to the gallows like Ace. Oh, but he's doing it with pride like Roger.
That was a good episode. Could have been even better if they didn't turn Shutenmaru into a weak buffoon before an injured Hold'em. In the manga, it was some random grunt who set the mountain on fire in secret and got caught while Hold'em stayed back in Bakura town, and Shutenmaru runs to Bakura town intending to crush him. The scene ends with Kin'emon saying they really need Ashura, but the viewers must be thinking why do they need a dude who can't handle an injured Headliner? The spinning flaming whip setting the battlefield on fire looked excellent at least. It's just a small nitpick from the overall episode. Next week looking like a big one.

Last edited:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Art and direction was pretty good. The voice acting was especially top notch in this episode. Yasu, Toko, Orochi, Kyoshiro, and Queen VAs stole the show.

I enjoyed how the Atamayama thieves vs Holdem's goons flowed much better than the manga. More fleshed out and better paced.

Toko's laugh in the anime is messed up, especially knowing the context. Only 11 pages adapted this week, but it seems we're getting a full chapter next week for the emotional scene. They always do a nice job with sad/emotional highlight scenes. Gotta deliver on this one cause it's important for the arc. It'll be interesting to see if they keep Oden as silhouette in the flashback since they already spoiled his appearance in like the first 10 seconds of the opening lol
Post automatically merged:

PS: Still can't get over how THICCCC Queen's NECCCC is in the opening :steef:

Last edited:
Was a nice episode.

Liked the sense of building dread that was constantly building throughout every scene in the episode that climaxed completely in the final scene where Toko reveals Yasu is her father to Zoro.

The episode did a really good job of building intrigue, and the anime staff did a really good job with the direction and filler to flesh out the episode.

Hell, even stuff like Holdem vs Ashura Douji was well executed, with them making it explicitly clear that Holdem's attacks don't work on Ashura, and that Holdem isn't really trying to fight Ashura directly. Still, its nice to see a headliner actually look competent in action. Holdem was described as being strong when he was introduced by Kiku, so seeing him have a modicum is capability makes sense.

The art was generally pretty nice, with the only really animation highlight coming from Tu Yong Ce's scene, which was a nice short bit of action that did a good job of making Holdem look cool. Its nice to have really fantastic action animators like Tu Yong Ce doing nice snippets of relatively unimportant action. Makes it a bit more engaging. Considering he did a minute of animation on 935, its nice to see Tu Yong Ce do a short scene only a few episodes later.

Overall, a really solid episode, and next episode looks just as colourful as I hoped considering the storyboard is by the legendary Shigeyasu Yamauchi.

TU YONG CE's animation highlight

EDIT: Just going to add this. I got some real Hokuto No Ken vibes when the thieves brigade fort Holdem's men. Felt like the sort of battle between gangs you'd expect to see on that show, not to mention that Kaido's men have a similar aesthetic to the gangs in Hokuto No Ken(hell, some people even argue that Queen's design was inspired by Hokuto No Ken character pearl. Even if that wasn't the case, you can see the resemblance).

Last edited:
No wonder Luffy once struggling against Batman if Holdem is this stronk.

:cheers:
Toei's Logic
Didn't Kiku say that Holdem was strong when he was introduced?

Also, pretty sure Luffy wiped out Batman a few episodes back with a gum gum bullet.

Considering the amount of difficulty Zoro is having with them, gifters are meant to be decently difficult opponents.

Didn't Kiku say that Holdem was strong when he was introduced?

Also, pretty sure Luffy wiped out Batman a few episodes back with a gum gum bullet.

Considering the amount of difficulty Zoro is having with them, gifters are meant to be decently difficult opponents.
Lol. Mann. It's just sarcams about how inconsistent Toei handle power level in OP.
:josad:

Your example about Batman just confirm it.
Idk, maybe TOEI heard people review about Batman when he first introduced in anime and decide to redeem their mistake by having Luffy no diff him in Udon later (the scene that we only seen in anime).

Though I enjoyed the animation, I dont like how they make Holdem could burn a mountain in just several seconds and how Ashura just stand and watch until it's too late.
Then, Ashura and his man just ran away and retreat.
It is not well executed, imho.

In Manga, it was stated that this was caused by Holdem lackey and it is implied that they doing it secretly until the fire become too big to be managed by mountain bandit.

Yes, headliner should be strong for most people and Kiku may just heard it from another citizen.
I doubt he ever met or has a clash with Holdem.

Additional scenes are very okay as long as it is not changing the story.
:smithnie:

Lol. Mann. It's just sarcams about how inconsistent Toei handle power level in OP.
:josad:

Your example about Batman just confirm it.
Idk, maybe TOEI heard people review about Batman when he first introduced in anime and decide to redeem their mistake by having Luffy no diff him in Udon later (the scene that we only seen in anime).

Though I enjoyed the animation, I dont like how they make Holdem could burn a mountain in just several seconds and how Ashura just stand and watch until it's too late.
Then, Ashura and his man just ran away and retreat.
It is not well executed, imho.

In Manga, it was stated that this was caused by Holdem lackey and it is implied that they doing it secretly until the fire become too big to be managed by mountain bandit.

Yes, headliner should be strong for most people and Kiku may just heard it from another citizen.
I doubt he ever met or has a clash with Holdem.

Additional scenes are very okay as long as it is not changing the story.
:smithnie:
It you goin blame toei for bad Powerlevels also oda blame too luffy still using gear 3 on fodder, luffy get knock out apoo, luffy need gear 4 to beat Ulti, brook nami and franky making big mom like a clown and many more lol