One Piece Episode 940 - Zoro's Fury - The Truth About the SMILE!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • 4/5

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 3/5

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 2/5

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Aside from that OST before the mid credits, everything was pretty on point this episode.

Although the storyboard wasn't as strong as last episode, Nakashima made sure there were plenty of tricks to create visual appeal. The transitions were also really well done. My personal favourite was Yasu remembering things through his tears.

Overall, a great episode. Probably the best "sad" One Piece death episode since Pedro. Really great stuff.

Oh no swordbois, hide!!
someone send a flaming attack!!​
Zoro was using flamed attacks in the manga since thriller bark . This is enough to excite the Sanji fandom though huh? You guys are desperate for feats but I get it. You thought Sanji was going to clash with king like a badass similar to what luffy and zoro does . Instead you got him praising the raid suit which is not his power . I’d be mad to

• Episode's name is SMILE but they only touch on that in the final 3 minutes. Always funny how they do that.
  • Toei messed up their anime canon here. Ashura abandoned his mountain and left Holdem behind immediately telling his men to ride toward Bakura town, and you're telling me the whole time he went there to just to find Holdem, who beat him back to town somewhere along the way, all just fight him again when he was right there outside Atamayama? :giogio:Bro, if you're going to rewrite manga scenes, at least stick to your story.
  • Oden and Yasu dueling by the moonlight like they're Zoro and Kuina. But Yasu won't grab his chest and complain that some men grow up to be three times his size lol.
  • Young Scabbards looking a little cute. I like how Izo can be confused for Kiku here, so most anime-only like many readers won't catch it. Also like Kin'emon's dyed hair look.
  • Yasu taking dozens of bullets like he's mini-Whitebeard. I expected the narrator to give us the final count :rolaugh:
  • The last sight he gets to see is his own daughter :pepemotion:
  • Zoro showing some genuine anger here. Zoro getting emotional is great and the SMILE'd laughter was done well in a very creepy manner.
Took long enough but we got a great death out of Yasu. R.I.P. hedgehog afro. You lost just about everything in life including your friends and family, your strength, your wealth, your nation, and even your own and your daughter's emotions. Yet instead of giving in, you chose to give away the one thing of value you had left: your own life. You died a real G.:yasu:

• Episode's name is SMILE but they only touch on that in the final 3 minutes. Always funny how they do that.
  • Toei messed up their anime canon here. Ashura abandoned his mountain and left Holdem behind immediately telling his men to ride toward Bakura town, and you're telling me the whole time he went there to just to find Holdem, who beat him back to town somewhere along the way, all just fight him again when he was right there outside Atamayama? :giogio:Bro, if you're going to rewrite manga scenes, at least stick to your story.
  • Oden and Yasu dueling by the moonlight like they're Zoro and Kuina. But Yasu won't grab his chest and complain that some men grow up to be three times his size lol.
  • Young Scabbards looking a little cute. I like how Izo can be confused for Kiku here, so most anime-only like many readers won't catch it. Also like Kin'emon's dyed hair look.
  • Yasu taking dozens of bullets like he's mini-Whitebeard. I expected the narrator to give us the final count :rolaugh:
  • The last sight he gets to see is his own daughter :pepemotion:
  • Zoro showing some genuine anger here. Zoro getting emotional is great and the SMILE'd laughter was done well in a very creepy manner.
Took long enough but we got a great death out of Yasu. R.I.P. hedgehog afro. You lost just about everything in life including your friends and family, your strength, your wealth, your nation, and even your own and your daughter's emotions. Yet instead of giving in, you chose to give away the one thing of value you had left: your own life. You died a real G.:yasu:
I mean it not Holdem fault Ashura though he was bakura town lol even in the manga he wasnt there

it was a very sad episode i liked yasu it sucks for toko that she can only laugh at her fathers death at least we know the fate if that trash can orochi

i’m hyped to see kyoshiro and x drake i want to see what the anime will do kyoshiro

but what i’m hyped for even more is sanji and zoro meeting

as for sanji attacks first it was shooting star now a flaming rankyaku are they spoiling us or just coming up with attacks cuz i never heard of the anime making up attacks

I mean it not Holdem fault Ashura though he was bakura town lol even in the manga he wasnt there
It's probably a schedule related issue or the directors not communicating with each other.

Episode 938 - They rewrite Atamayama going up in flames by having Holdem do it himself instead of sending a goon while he remains in Bakura town. They still need Ashura to run to Bakura town when Holdem is right in his face, so they don't tell us what his reason for running away is.

Episode 939 and 940. They don't even acknowledge the scene above. They pretend Holdem never left Bakura, Ashura is on his way to take revenge just like it happened in the manga.

If the schedule is so tight that these directors really can't coordinate their small changes to keep things consistent, they should stick to doing anime-original for one-off scenes. Scenes that do not continue a week later, scenes that won't bite them in the ass. It's a small scene at the end of the day so it doesn't really hurt the episodes in the grand scheme of things. But if they get ambitious and start rewriting much more important events, then we're in trouble here.

Episode 939 and 940. They don't even acknowledge the scene above. They pretend Holdem never left Bakura, Ashura is on his way to take revenge just like it happened in the manga.
I thought the general idea was that Ashura was regrouping after abandoning Atayama so he could confront Holdem in Bakura town, since he was aware of the fact that Holdem was heading back there, and fighting him on a burning mountain was disadvantageous.

Its sort of implied that he falls back to try and safe Atayama(since Atayama is their base), and once its apparent thats not an option, goes after Holdem, who he knows will head back to Bakura town, since he isn't pursuing them currently.

Last edited:
It's probably a schedule related issue or the directors not communicating with each other.

Episode 938 - They rewrite Atamayama going up in flames by having Holdem do it himself instead of sending a goon while he remains in Bakura town. They still need Ashura to run to Bakura town when Holdem is right in his face, so they don't tell us what his reason for running away is.

If the schedule is so tight that these directors really can't coordinate their small changes to keep things consistent, they should stick to doing anime-original for one-off scenes. Scenes that do not continue a week later, scenes that won't bite them in the ass. It's a small scene at the end of the day so it doesn't really hurt the episodes in the grand scheme of things. But if they get ambitious and start rewriting much more important events, then we're in trouble here.
He ran away cus he didn't want his nakama to get burn i know he didn't say but his face assume that if you rewatch the scene but good points