One Piece Episode 965 - Crossing Swords! Roger and Whitebeard!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • 4/5

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • 3/5

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • 2/5

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 1/5

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 0/5

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
In that case my though. They conserve the budge of the episode to spend more for the next episode. And as you see they have high lvl animation for the next episode.
I'll say this much, the action in this episode did have some of the best animators on the One Piece anime currently on it. For two of the three I think its fair to say that they simply didn't deliver their best work.

Yoshikazu Tomita's scene where Oden demolishes a few Roger pirates is weighty enough, and has all his unique characteristics as an animator, but I'd hardly say its his most impactful action scene.

As for Tetsuro Nireki's scene, its actually quite solid, its just that it has a few cuts in the middle that are incredibly underwhelming(which happens to be the actual impact), the stuff before and after it is great though. Roger actually drawing his sword has a lot of lead in and weight to it and Oden flying is really well animated. Not that animators best work, but still solid.

Also, I know some people were unhappy with Katsumi Ishizuka's Roger vs Whitebeard clash, but its undeniably a really awesome scene visually. It doesn't necessarily break new ground (the irony) for Katsumi Ishizuka as an animator in the same way Zoro's Onigiri on Killer did, but its certainly a very well animated spectacle. I don't get the idea that its not really well animated, because it absolutely is.

As for next week, we're getting stuff from Masami Mori. They seem to be animated, possibly a couple of minutes of action animation, so I'm definitely looking forward to that.

I think more so than just budgetry restraints, actually getting good talent on board, and properly scheduling it is what's important to something being "well animated". As for other aesthetic stuff, that is due to a number of a factors, such as the individual style of the animation supervisor on this episode.

I know people didn't like the Orochi stuff this episode, but if you go over at the very least the hut scenes, you certainly see the unique way of drawings characters, and the sort of poses that are idosyncratic for the animation supervisor of this episode Kazuya Hisada.

Another thing to consider is the direction and storyboarding. 957 looked so fantastic due to a combination of both great animators and an absolutely stellar episode director and storyboard artist that capitalized on layouts and lighting(as well as effective use of visual story telling) to make the episode as consistently engaging as possible.

Like, its a whole load of factors.

Next episode looks even better.

People getting mad over the orochi stuff, jesus, was really well done and If people watchs the preview would know that Roger and WB stuff would be only the final parts of this episode.
Yeah the preview made obvious where the episode would end. Besides the titles always emphasized the most hype part like episode 962 witch was titled after Whitebeard but the WB pirates only made an appearance at the last minute.

Last edited: