Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 2/5

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Marco, Yamato and the Tobiroppo. :lumazed:But another 6+ months of this opening :pepehands:

• When your mother told you to stop making that face or you're going to get wrinkles, Denjiro kept at it until he ascended to Super Kyoshiro Blue.:milaugh:

• Would be funny if Kyoshiro has bad eye sight without his glasses and his menacing glare is just him squinting.

• Why did these two never contact Kawamatsu? Man almost killed himself in Ringo for his failure.

• I hope that wasn't the last unique Wano eyecatcher.:catcry:
  • That noir flashback with the traitor speaking through word cuts like a silent movie.:akaman:

• So awkward the traitor is formally introduced here after what just happened in the manga. Oda matching up manga developments with the anime increasing these days.

• Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, and Zou reanimated Wano-style. Wow. One Piece Kai still too far away.
Decent episode this week. Weak compared to the rest of the flashback, but a transition episode bouncing around the timeline to tie up loose ends ending on a recap will do that. Good artwork and OST choices, I really like when they pull out a rare movie track like the one used for Kyoshiro becoming Orochi's yakuza. The highlight was of course the short colorless scene with the Kurozomi and the little ink blob they molded into a Scabbard. The manga completely dehumanizes this character, the anime takes it even further turning his face into static and removing his voice. With no more distractions, I'm looking forward to finally jumping into the raid.

Some thoughts on the flashback as a whole. In general, the anime has exceeded my expectations once again as Act 3 is a clear step above Act 2, which improved upon Act 1, which felt like a different studio from Reverie/WCI. Cinematography. Animation. New and rare OST used. So much good stuff in merely ~16 episodes. Something as small as the eyecatchers shows how much love they poured into Oden's story.

There was a rush out of the gate with the first three Oden episodes adapting a lot of content with excellent direction. Things slow down as Whitebeard and Roger enter the picture and lend themselves to enjoyable filler adventures. The return to Wano portion maintained the slower pace and suffered a bit because of it (except Oden vs Kaido) as there was little potential for drawing things out. But there was a flip side. While the Scabbards did not gain much respective to the manga, Whitebeard/Roger/Toki/Orochi/Kaido and even freaking Gaban benefited being fleshed out more with the additional screen time. When even the weaker episodes, which normally just look to waste time and destroy things like jokes or fights in the process, were doing the dirty job of building up characters, you had a quality flashback overall.

I can't believe the director is promising Onigashima will deliver another boost in quality. Constant action to me screams a lot of budget and hard work with corners getting cut for scenes not in focus. But after delivering on Oden, I don't have any reason to doubt them.:cheers:

Last edited:
  • Marco, Yamato and the Tobiroppo. :lumazed:But another 6+ months of this opening :pepehands:

• When your mother told you to stop making that face or you're going to get wrinkles, Denjiro kept at it until he ascended to Super Kyoshiro Blue.:milaugh:

• Would be funny if Kyoshiro has bad eye sight without his glasses and his menacing glare is just him squinting.

• Why did these two never contact Kawamatsu? Man almost killed himself in Ringo for his failure.

• I hope that wasn't the last unique Wano eyecatcher.:catcry:
  • That noir flashback with the traitor speaking through word cuts like a silent movie.:akaman:

• So awkward the traitor is formally introduced here after what just happened in the manga. Oda matching up manga developments with the anime increasing these days.

• Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, and Zou reanimated Wano-style. Wow. One Piece Z still too far off.
Decent episode this week. Weak compared to the rest of the flashback, but a transition episode bouncing around the timeline to tie up loose ends ending on a recap will do that. Good artwork and OST choices, I really like when they pull out a rare movie track like the one used for Kyoshiro becoming Orochi's yakuza. The highlight was of course the short colorless scene with the Kurozomi and the little ink blob they molded into a Scabbard. The manga completely dehumanizes this character, the anime takes it even future turning his face into static and removing his voice. With no more distractions, I'm looking forward to finally jumping into the raid.

Some thoughts on the flashback as a whole. In general, the anime has exceeded my expectations once again as Act 3 is a clear step above Act 2, which improved upon Act 1, which felt like a different studio from Reverie/WCI. Cinematography. Animation. New and rare OST used. So much good stuff in merely ~16 episodes. Something as small the eyecatchers shows how much love they poured into Oden's story.

There was a rush out of the gate with the first three Oden episodes adapting a lot of content with excellent direction, things slow as Whitebeard and Roger enter the picture and lend themselves to enjoyable filler adventures, the return to Wano portion maintained the slower pace and suffered a bit because of it (except Oden vs Kaido) as there was little potential for drawing things out. But there was a flip side. While the Scabbards did not gain much respective to the manga, Whitebeard/Roger/Toki/Orochi/Kaido and even freaking Gaban benefited being fleshed out more with the additional screen time. When even the weaker episodes, which normally just look to waste time and destroy things like jokes or fights in the process, were doing the dirty job of building up characters, you had a quality flashback overall.

I can't believe the director is promising Onigashima will deliver another boost in quality. Constant action to me screams a lot of budget and hard work with corners getting cut for scenes not in focus. But after delivering on Oden, I don't have any reason to doubt them.:cheers:
*takes it even further :goyea: