Do you like the Live Action Adaption?

• No, it's not a good adaption.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I feel bad for the guys writing this live action

the main appeal of this show so far is how character driven it is. Like the strawhats talking and thinking like actual characters with normal people emotions and stuff

the only reason the live action is doing this so well is that one piece was more about the characters early on in East blue

As the story goes on, there is going to be less and less character stuff and more and more plot stuff… This is gonna be what makes or breaks the show since they will have to decide between following the manga and becoming more plot focused as well or they’ll have to change the story even more than they already have to keep the character focus they have done so well in this first season

the main appeal of this show so far is how character driven it is. Like the strawhats talking and thinking like actual characters with normal people emotions and stuff

the only reason the live action is doing this so well is that one piece was more about the characters early on in East blue

As the story goes on, there is going to be less and less character stuff and more and more plot stuff… This is gonna be what makes or breaks the show since they will have to decide between following the manga and becoming more plot focused as well or they’ll have to change the story even more than they already have to keep the character focus they have done so well in this first season
All shows change overtime, as well as their focus and approach when it comes to telling their story. Every decision they make from now on has to have a purpose and a reason. If they know what they’re going for I believe in their talent to pull it off.

As long as Oda spear heads the story and handle the upcoming changes. It should be fine. Plus Oda make good side characters and compelling villians sometimes.

All shows change overtime, as well as their focus and approach when it comes to telling their story. Every decision they make from now on has to have a purpose and a reason. If they know what they’re going for I believe in their talent to pull it off.
I mean sure but I don’t believe the plot stuff of one piece is that intriguing

us readers think it’s interesting because we are hundreds of chapters in and know about the lore and are anticipating fights and care about shit like haki and mechanics like those…

and the manga has unlimited budget… As in everything imaginable can be rendered exactly as intended by Oda so there aspects of the story like the “adventure” aspect that cannot be done so well in the LA without ridiculous amounts of money

also there’s the fact that manga is weekly so it it self can main interest in its plot since basically for 25 years we have been fed this plot nonstop… the Live action show on the other hand has multi-year long gaps between seasons and has to be written in this way where they acknowledge that a new season has a lot of work to do to get people REINVESTED in this plot that’s been out of mind for years

basically what I’m saying is the things that allowed Oda to make his story more and more plot focused and less character focused are not accessible to the Live action creators… So if the Live action guys dont pivot to accommodate this then I don’t see how they survive
Post automatically merged:

As long as Oda spear heads the story and handle the upcoming changes. It should be fine. Plus Oda make good side characters and compelling villians sometimes.
@RiShin
Oda isn’t a tv writer. (Like he isn’t the one who write this first season) He doesn’t have the power spawn millions of dollars for the budget either

Guys, Oda isn’t magically the one able to make this show work… This he isn’t the one who made the costumes… made the choreography for the fights… made the sets… Made the CGI

the way one piece changes at it goes on will be a problem for the live action whether Oda is there or not…

I mean sure but I don’t believe the plot stuff of one piece is that intriguing

us readers think it’s interesting because we are hundreds of chapters in and know about the lore and are anticipating fights and care about shit like haki and mechanics like those…

and the manga has unlimited budget… As in everything imaginable can be rendered exactly as intended by Oda so there aspects of the story like the “adventure” aspect that cannot be done so well in the LA without ridiculous amounts of money

also there’s the fact that manga is weekly so it it self can main interest in its plot since basically for 25 years we have been fed this plot nonstop… the Live action show on the other hand has multi-year long gaps between seasons and has to be written in this way where they acknowledge that a new season has a lot of work to do to get people REINVESTED in this plot that’s been out of mind for years

basically what I’m saying is the things that allowed Oda to make his story more and more plot focused and less character focused are not accessible to the Live action creators… So if the Live action guys dont pivot to accommodate this then I don’t see how they survive
I definitely see what you’re saying. We’ll just have to wait and see if a broader audience does enjoy the plot just as much as we hardcore fans do.

I definitely see what you’re saying. We’ll just have to wait and see if a broader audience does enjoy the plot just as much as we hardcore fans do.
Thing is it can’t even be the same plot tho. For example the plots of each arc must accommodate “the good guys fight the bad guys and win with the power of friendship (and random assortments of power ups)”

this in itself can’t be like the focus of the live action versions of the arcs since fights literally cannot either be done as long to accommodate their space in the plot and can’t carry the same significance

as a comparison Wano is 150 chapters long. The Onigashima fight takes up 70 chapters of this arc… essentially half the arc

I do not believe an American tv show can be sustained with HALF the entire show being constant battles. Like simply jumping from battle to battle for HALF A SEASON

I’ve watched action oriented Tv shows before with everything from fantasy powers to sci-fi powers to impressive martial arts (and once piece does all 3) and I cannot imagine any of those tv shows dedicating Half a season to ONE CONSTANT NON-STOP FIGHT

Remember how Game of Thrones hyped up the Long night battle with the night king for 8 fucking seasons long nonstop and then it was ONE EPISODE. Yeah that’s what I mean. If Wano wants to be more ambitious than Gane of thrones, they would make the Onigashima battle TWO episodes then… maybe that’s the best they can do

stuff like Marineford… Manga can be sustained by plots as basic as “we are at war and we are simply going to watch flashy powers and the mechanics of a war arc going on”… With no human drama outside of “I must save my brother”… or Wano “I must beat the bad guy”… But doing this for a tv show is beyond a tall order

think about it. In your mind if The one piece live action tv show we’re to do a full season dedicated to Wano… What would the first 6 episodes even be? Let’s say they do the last 2 episodes as just combat. Nonstop… What are the first 6 episodes even about? Like what human drama occurs in those first 2 acts of Wano… It’s all just plot plot plot all of it is simply maintained by the promise of “we are gonna have a big fight and beat the bad guy at the end of the arc”…

I do not envy this team that will somehow have to add human drama to Wano in 8 episodes

Last edited:
Okay my real review after watching. I like it, I don't love it, but it's a strong like.

What I liked-

I like all of the Strawhat cast. They were good choices.

Buggy is the bomb! That actor is phenomenal.

Mihawk was excellent!

Kuro was better than the Manga version.

VIsually, it exceeded expectations.

What I didn't-

Kid Luffy is distractingly bad, that ain't Luffy.

Show needs a new hairdresser that won't make Shanks hair look so obviously fake and cheap!

Garp was underwhelming af.

Overall, I liked it and hope there will be a new season.

It only succeeded because of Oda's intervention. Otherwise it would be some dumb abomination like DBZ / Cowboy Bebop.
I mean I can just as easily point to a number of adaptations that have succeeded WITHOUT the original creator’s intervention

I said Oda isn’t a tv writer and that’s a fact… We don’t have to argue this… he isn’t… He’s a producer on the show… Which isn’t a small deal because for example Kevin Feige is the producer on all the Marvel shows and movies and if you read interviews you can find how much power and influence producers have on shows

Yes, Oda is a producer and so he has a lot of influence on the show… No, he isn’t a writer on the show. He does nothing on the material level of making this tv show… the man’s a comic writer and artist. That’s his actual job and that’s what he is qualified to do…

Oda’s producer credit should at best be thought of similar to Kevin Feige. Kevin Feige is the singular big brain producer of The McU… And yet from one movie to another the fact that two different sets of people actually did the work to make those movies shows… Thor 2 was followed by Captain America 2 because the people who actually made Thor 2 are different from the people who made Captain America 2 despite all of these films being Produced by the same guy…

Turns out it’s actually very important that you have actual good writers and directors and scripts and vfx and sets and costumes and composers and actors to make a good show and Oda’s involvement isn’t a magic bullet that can replace Any Of the above things

I mean I can just as easily point to a number of adaptations that have succeeded WITHOUT the original creator’s intervention

I said Oda isn’t a tv writer and that’s a fact… We don’t have to argue this… he isn’t… He’s a producer on the show… Which isn’t a small deal because for example Kevin Feige is the producer on all the Marvel shows and movies and if you read interviews you can find how much power and influence producers have on shows

Yes, Oda is a producer and so he has a lot of influence on the show… No, he isn’t a writer on the show. He does nothing on the material level of making this tv show… the man’s a comic writer and artist. That’s his actual job and that’s what he is qualified to do…

Oda’s producer credit should at best be thought of similar to Kevin Feige. Kevin Feige is the singular big brain producer of The McU… And yet from one movie to another the fact that two different sets of people actually did the work to make those movies shows… Thor 2 was followed by Captain America 2 because the people who actually made Thor 2 are different from the people who made Captain America 2 despite all of these films being Produced by the same guy…

Turns out it’s actually very important that you have actual good writers and directors and scripts and vfx and sets and costumes and composers and actors to make a good show and Oda’s involvement isn’t a magic bullet that can replace Any Of the above things
I don't like any of the Marvel / DC garbage.

Watchmen movie was good. The series are garbage.
The Boys was good up to season 3 finale where they fucked up big time.

I don't like any of the Marvel / DC garbage.

Watchmen movie was good. The series are garbage.
The Boys was good up to season 3 finale where they fucked up big time.
Okay. I brought up marvel because Kevin Feige is one of the most recognizable producers in Hollywood… It’s just an example to show you what power Oda exactly has and the limits of producers in determining the quality of the product

Okay. I brought up marvel because Kevin Feige is one of the most recognizable producers in Hollywood… It’s just an example to show you what power Oda exactly has and the limits of producers in determining the quality of the product
You're downplaying Oda. I watched Oda's show, I did not enjoy watching the marvel movies. Maybe Oda should help with those too. If it's small influence as you say then the impact is enormous enough to warrant his involvement.

You're downplaying Oda. I watched Oda's show, I did not enjoy watching the marvel movies. Maybe Oda should help with those too. If it's small influence as you say then the impact is enormous enough to warrant his involvement.
Whether you enjoy it or not doesnt change what Oda’s job is

Oda isn’t the writer of the one piece show… he didn’t direct anything… He didn’t edit anything… The people who did all this are listed in the credits… Oda is a producer… His contribution to the show is the same as any other producer’s contribution to any other tv show

Got to wait until the SAG Strike and Writers strike is over anyways which will take a while so if season 2 does start production it wont be out until late next year or early 2025

They spent so much on it compared to the other animes season 2 is most likely gonna happen

@ImmaIvanoM
However Oda had the power to tell the actors/actress to redo these scenes until in his minds it's perfect iirc. Oda had a big present in the success of the life action.

More than likely Oda gave his input on the writing side of things because that his speciality.
This isn’t true.

no interview has ever said that Oda ever did this

the interview said something like “Oda didn’t let the final show come out until he was satisfied”

that can mean A LOT OF THINGS.

This show as shot over several months IN SOUTH AFRICA,.. Oda Visited South Africa for 3 weeks ONCE in the entire time this show was in production

so no, Oda was not literally on set for the shooting of this show and was not literally giving directions

again, Producers have a lot of power, they can in fact request for reshoots and rewrites. but they are not directors. They aren’t actually there doing anything

I think what you guys are misunderstanding is how much producers in general can do even in other tv shows and movies… you also don’t understand the limits producers have in determining the final quality of a project

guys, it’s not blasphemy to say that the actual credited writers and directors and all that did in fact have MORE to do with the quality of the show than Oda… Producers are not just the end all of anything

This isn’t true.

no interview has ever said that Oda ever did this

the interview said something like “Oda didn’t let the final show come out until he was satisfied”

that can mean A LOT OF THINGS.

This show as shot over several months IN SOUTH AFRICA,.. Oda Visited South Africa for 3 weeks ONCE in the entire time this show was in production

so no, Oda was not literally on set for the shooting of this show and was not literally giving directions

again, Producers have a lot of power, they can in fact request for reshoots and rewrites. but they are not directors. They aren’t actually there doing anything

I think what you guys are misunderstanding is how much producers in general can do even in other tv shows and movies… you also don’t understand the limits producers have in determining the final quality of a project

guys, it’s not blasphemy to say that the actual credited writers and directors and all that did in fact have MORE to do with the quality of the show than Oda… Producers are not just the end all of anything
Yeah, Oda only took breaks to deal with the LA during post-production