One Piece Magazine Vol. 18 (on sale 4th June 2024)

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
I'm not necessarily agreeing with him but lemme ask a question (slightly off topic)

I want the POV of a Zoro fan, genuinely

What do the Wings mean and why is it Zoro and Sanji instead of a different combination like Zoro and Nami

If anything I think Nami and Robin would make more sense (since they contribute the most generally) but that's not the pairing Oda chose

Why did Oda choose them specifically?
Wings doesn't mean rivals tho ?
Also wasn't the true translations Robin saying sanji was the wings

Wings doesn't mean rivals tho ?
That's why I said slightly off topic though I'd argue it kinda ties into it a little bit

They aren't rivals in the traditional sense but they're always trying to one up each other

It's a competitive relationship

Also wasn't the true translations Robin saying sanji was the wings
I mean clearly not lol

They're called the Wings in tons of extra material

The whole next magazine is about the two of them as the "Wings"

I have a very hard time believing that would stem from a mistranslation

Sandman also clarified that it was more than one person iirc

HA001

That's why I said slightly off topic though I'd argue it kinda ties into it a little bit

They aren't rivals in the traditional sense but they're always trying to one up each other

It's a competitive relationship

I mean clearly not lol

They're called the Wings in tons of extra material

The whole next magazine is about the two of them as the "Wings"

I have a very hard time believing that would stem from a mistranslation

Sandman also clarified that it was more than one person iirc
In gags sure.
They compete in nothing seriously.
Zoro and mihawk and mihawk and shanks are called rivals
Zoro and sanji are not
Even in strength sanji knows zoro is stronger he wanted zoro to kill him if he lost control

In gags sure.
They compete in nothing seriously.
Zoro and mihawk and mihawk and shanks are called rivals
Zoro and sanji are not
Using the textbook definition? I agree

But I don't think that's what most people in the OP fanbase mean when they say that

Even in strength sanji knows zoro is stronger he wanted zoro to kill him if he lost control
That doesn't mean anything when it comes to being rivals

Unless you think Zoro is currently as strong as Mihawk

HA001

Using the textbook definition? I agree

But I don't think that's what most people in the OP fanbase mean when they say that

That doesn't mean anything when it comes to being rivals

Unless you think Zoro is currently as strong as Mihawk
? That's the point zoro and mihawk are COMPETING to be wss
As did Shanks and mihawk
Zoro and sanji don't compete seriously in anything

I'm not necessarily agreeing with him but lemme ask a question (slightly off topic)

I want the POV of a Zoro fan, genuinely

What do the Wings mean and why is it Zoro and Sanji instead of a different combination like Zoro and Nami

If anything I think Nami and Robin would make more sense (since they contribute the most generally) but that's not the pairing Oda chose

Why did Oda choose them specifically?
I’ll answer your question

let’s start simple
Zoro is the second strongest and Sanji is the third strongest member. Every SHC member is important but Z&S fight against the strongest enemies and are among the most popular characters
We already saw countless combinations: Zoro and Sanji, Franky and Sanji (against Saturn), Jinbe and Sanji (in Onigashima), Zoro and Jinbd (now) because of all of them are strong and can protect the crew if Luffy is absent or can support their captain
Zoro is the pinnacle in this regard as the second strongest member and Luffy's first mate
Sanji comes right after this
and don’t forget that the gap between Sanji and the other members was way bigger until Jinbe joined
This gave Sanji a special status along side Zoro and Luffy
They’re a duo and have a brotherly bond and mock each other like siblings, no one can deny this but I wouldn’t call them serious rivals.

Their strength, popularity and interactions/chemistry solidified both characters as the Wings of PK

But both are still unique characters with different roles and goals. This doesn’t mean that Zoro and Sanji are equal in strength or that " Zoro > Sanji " makes Sanji a bad character

I’ll answer your question

let’s start simple
Zoro is the second strongest and Sanji is the third strongest member. Every SHC member is important but Z&S fight against the strongest enemies and are among the most popular characters
We already saw countless combinations: Zoro and Sanji, Franky and Sanji (against Saturn), Jinbe and Sanji (in Onigashima), Zoro and Jinbd (now) because of all of them are strong and can protect the crew if Luffy is absent or can support their captain
Zoro is the pinnacle in this regard as the second strongest member and Luffy's first mate
Sanji comes right after this
and don’t forget that the gap between Sanji and the other members was way bigger until Jinbe joined
This gave Sanji a special status along side Zoro and Luffy
They’re a duo and have a brotherly bond and mock each other like siblings, no one can deny this but I wouldn’t call them serious rivals.

Their strength, popularity and interactions/chemistry solidified both characters as the Wings of PK

But both are still unique characters with different roles and goals. This doesn’t mean that Zoro and Sanji are equal in strength or that " Zoro > Sanji " makes Sanji a bad character
I think people (mostly fairly) use it to argue relativity because it wouldn’t really make sense for one “wing” to be 100 and the other “wing” to be way down at 25

Why? Because strength is a clear part of their dynamic. I don’t think it’s strictly about strength (Zoro is the de-facto right hand and Sanji is considered the unofficial strategist) but that’s a pretty big part of it

Now I also agree that they aren’t dead equal but I don’t think the gap is quite as large as some fans claim it is

I think that “gap” is what Zoro and Sanji fans consistently butt heads on

It’s the same issue Luffy and Zoro fans struggle with due to their own unique dynamic

Nope when they say they rivals they mean rivals in power no sanji fan is saying they gag rivals
Now you’re flipping the definitions around

Zoro and Mihawk are rivals due to their desire to fight over the title of the WSS

They are nowhere near equal in power currently but on paper they are rivals which you also believe according to your previous messages

I said that’s true and clarified that the OP fanbase isn’t using the literal definition

Zoro and Sanji are considered to be rivals (by the community) because of the nature of their relationship and their supposed relativity in power

We’re going in circles now

HA001

Now you’re flipping the definitions around

Zoro and Mihawk are rivals due to their desire to fight over the title of the WSS

They are nowhere near equal in power currently but on paper they are rivals which you also believe according to your previous messages

I said that’s true and clarified that the OP fanbase isn’t using the literal definition

Zoro and Sanji are considered to be rivals (by the community) because of the nature of their relationship and their supposed relativity in power

We’re going in circles now
?
What are zoro and sanji competing in

Wss is a strength based title
Zoro is approaching mihawk I strength until he surpasses him.

I think people (mostly fairly) use it to argue relativity because it wouldn’t really make sense for one “wing” to be 100 and the other “wing” to be way down at 25

Why? Because strength is a clear part of their dynamic. I don’t think it’s strictly about strength (Zoro is the de-facto right hand and Sanji is considered the unofficial strategist) but that’s a pretty big part of it

Now I also agree that they aren’t dead equal but I don’t think the gap is quite as large as some fans claim it is

I think that “gap” is what Zoro and Sanji fans consistently butt heads on

It’s the same issue Luffy and Zoro fans struggle with due to their own unique dynamic
Of course it’s not Zoro >>> Sanji or something like that
Don’t take the trolls into account
Sanji is strong as hell but Zoro is still in his own league. Zoro >= Sanji is just plain wrong
Zoro's dream is strength related, Zoro is a conqueror and has adv CoC, Zoro is among the leaders of the next Gen, gave Kaido a permanent scar, will surpass Mihawk and Shanks etc.
Is he stronger or equal to Luffy? No
EoS Zoro will be around Roger's lvl and Luffy will surpass Roger's lvl as the PK and Joy Boy
EoS Sanji will be comparable to the Admirals and I’m a huge Admiral fan, so this is a compliment from my side but Zoro will reach the realm of legends

Of course it’s not Zoro >>> Sanji or something like that
Don’t take the trolls into account
Sanji is strong as hell but Zoro is still in his own league. Zoro >= Sanji is just plain wrong
Zoro's dream is strength related, Zoro is a conqueror and has adv CoC, Zoro is among the leaders of the next Gen, gave Kaido a permanent scar, will surpass Mihawk and Shanks etc.
Is he stronger or equal to Luffy? No
EoS Zoro will be around Roger's lvl and Luffy will surpass Roger's lvl as the PK and Joy Boy
EoS Sanji will be comparable to the Admirals and I’m a huge Admiral fan, so this is a compliment from my side but Zoro will reach the realm of legends
Zoro ~ Sanji is objective manga fact.

Both will beat near equal Gorosei