General & Others OP Manga Sales Declining

One Piece sales have been dropping since the New World began and the reason is obvious to see when reading the manga.

Oda can never deliver what he promises. After Marienford, expectations were soaring, which resulted in a huge sale on Fish Men's Island. In Punk Hazad it is already possible to see how One Piece did not fulfill the expectations of the New World.

It's possible to notice how One Piece sells more at the beginning of new arcs by the hype, but as the story progresses people get disappointed and drop One Piece.

The most notorious case is Whole Cake, which went on to sell 4 million copies per volume and ended up selling half. One Piece lost half of the audience it had at the time, and this is not unexpected as WCI is one of the worst written One Piece arcs.

The sales Pre Timeskip weren’t exactly crazy either lmao

Most people started buying volumes during Marineford specifically

And so far WCI (a much better arc than Wano) has better sales than most if not all of Wano so far

Imo Wano just has a lot less to like than WCI so far and that’s why the sales continue to decline

Oda dropped the ball with the arc and most will acknowledge that but he still hasn’t moved on after 2-3 years

Yeah but I imagine once Wano is over, Oda will kick it up a notch in terms of plot and narrative and....Tension. I agree with many, for how long people have been following the series, the unraveling of more information as we are nearing the end is taking too long. Seeing Luffy repeatedly clash with Kaido for one panel or constant punching spam just gets boring. I think Oda has plenty of lore and a vibrant world, but yes he definitely needs to bring that dynamism that the pre timeskip had again. Impossible to reproduce that part of the story, but everything felt just tighter and intentional AND impactful. Now it more or less has a formula

Honestly, this sanji vs queen and zoro vs king fights are really dope and may improve sales, the problem is that was so much time for this shits to happen, like 100+ chapters to finally have some serious thing is tooooo much. Even storywise wano was trash, not even a single major reveal, just more questions e teasing, it tires.

I'm not even hyped for Luffy vs Kaido for some reason i can't explain why. :kayneshrug:
because we know Luffy will only win against kaido with a stupid excuses, Oda loves to do those things, i wont even be surprised if kaido made something that will nerf himself, like yamato supposed to die with those bombs, then suddenly kaido eat all those bombs, similar to the guy who stabs himself, cause he's a honorable person and not a pirate man who are known for being dirty and opportunist.

Honestly, this sanji vs queen and zoro vs king fights are really dope and may improve sales, the problem is that was so much time for this shits to happen, like 100+ chapters to finally have some serious thing is tooooo much. Even storywise wano was trash, not even a single major reveal, just more questions e teasing, it tires.

I'm not even hyped for Luffy vs Kaido for some reason i can't explain why. :kayneshrug:
Yeah imagine you tell someone read 100 chapters to see those fights, chapters that include characters like Tama/Rebecca eating them like crazy and mitigating the sense of danger in the process by them.

Yeah no one will do that.

because we know Luffy will only win against kaido with a stupid excuses, Oda loves to do those things, i wont even be surprised if kaido made something that will nerf himself, like yamato supposed to die with those bombs, then suddenly kaido eat all those bombs, similar to the guy who stabs himself, cause he's a honorable person and not a pirate man who are known for being dirty and opportunist.
don't play with these things. :whitepress:

sells definitely dropped but but if im not wrong we had one less volume (or half volume?) compare to previous year
wano quality dropped because of to many character oda focused so many chapter and panels on characters that fans don't care about and offscreened many good thing because of 5 year bullshit
lets be real fans don't give a shit about most of 9rs and wano peoples and oda wasted so much time on them instead of giving more plot and time to shs and fan fav character like sns
also he didn't give enough panel important beast pirates to make they're characters more interesting they get a huge hit because of it
kaido and allstars are very strong but i can't say they are good villains

Last edited:
I came across volume 99 and skimmed through it which is the start of the rooftop fight. I thought that only 4 out of the 10 chapters were really entertaining which was not enough for me to justify a buy. However, if it had parts where they keep fighting the Emperors (Zoro using Asura) ending with Luffy falling in the sea that would have been an automatic buy.

sells definitely dropped but but if im not wrong we had one less volume (or half volume?) compare to previous year
wano quality dropped because of to many character oda focused so many chapter and panels on characters that fans don't care about and offscreened many good thing because of 5 year bullshit
lets be real fans don't give a shit about most of 9rs and wano peoples and oda wasted so much time on them instead of giving more plot and time to shs and fan fav character like sns
also he didn't give enough panel important beast pirates to make they're characters more interesting they get a huge hit because of it
kaido and allstars are very strong but i can't say they are good villains
Yes, one volume less. Most of OP volumes are sold immediately when it comes out (2-2.5 mil) and only the remaining 500k over the next few months. So OP had around 3.2 volumes technically.

Concentrating on other characters is not a problem if they would provide more than basic and already seen stuff. Oda managed to do a great flashback of never seen characters and tied them into the overall themes of the arc in Skypeia, no problem whatsoever "concentrating" on different characters. Or Vivi and the Alabasta citizens. But those characters provided more than simple platitudes and motivations. OP these days seems very formulaic. Oda knows he has to have something personal that ties Luffy into the story of the island, no matter how cheap it may seem, and thus you get characters like Rebecca or Tama.

I'm honestly kinda surprised that OP didn't make Top 3, especially because of all the hype the 1000th chapter, 100th volume and 1000th episode received. Even though the story/pacing this year wasn't good, I really thought the insane marketing would be enough to push up the sales again.
Oh well.:kayneshrug:

Poop piece in the mud. You love to see it. It had been occupying a position it didn't deserve for far too long. All it took was for KnY to bust down the door, peel back the curtain and show it for what it was.

Happy for the people of Japan. Freed from their shackles and moving onto better things. Cause as many have noticed, not only are other series rising in popularity, but OP is also falling. Someone as competitive as Oda must hate to see OP kicked out of the top 5 entirely, when its position as no.1 used to be so assured. I'd say I hope he learns from this, but the past couple of years did nothing, so I doubt anything will change.

Next year looking forward to Spy x Fam and Chainsaw Man joining the 'punked OP' club too.