Theory Phoning a Friend - The Return of Monet Prediction

One thing that bugs me is: Logia is the rarest DF type. Why would Doffy (Oda) gave Monet a rare type of DF, be the first canonical female Logia, only to kill her in the same arc she is introduced?
I'm not personally sure that Logia being rare is much of a sticking point here in the first place, but you're right, Monet does have a lot firsts going on; first female Devil Fruit user, first female character to die on-screen outside of a flashback, first character of medium importance to die on screen (Mr. 11 was killed off-screen, but he was a minor character used to illustrate Baroque Works' nature). On top of having such a unique design, it really does feel like Oda wanted us to pay attention to her.

Of course, it's possible that Oda just wanted to design an interesting character and chose all of those aspects because he thought it would be fun, but then there's all of the other mysteries that I keep bringing up, so it all seems too deliberate to chalk up to Oda just having fun.

I'm not personally sure that Logia being rare is much of a sticking point here in the first place, but you're right, Monet does have a lot firsts going on; first female Devil Fruit user, first female character to die on-screen outside of a flashback, first character of medium importance to die on screen (Mr. 11 was killed off-screen, but he was a minor character used to illustrate Baroque Works' nature). On top of having such a unique design, it really does feel like Oda wanted us to pay attention to her.

Of course, it's possible that Oda just wanted to design an interesting character and chose all of those aspects because he thought it would be fun, but then there's all of the other mysteries that I keep bringing up, so it all seems too deliberate to chalk up to Oda just having fun.
My point was that Logia is surely the rarest, that’s why Vegapunk has difficulties to copy Logia DF. Even with Vegapunk’s genius mind it’s practically impossible to copy a Logia. I mean besides “interesting aspects”, still so off that the first female with rarest DF type wasted just like that.

Not to mention that we haven’t seen Yuki Yuki in circulation until now. With what Vegapunk stated that Logia DF can’t be copied further proves my suspicion, especially in an arc which is similar with Punk Hazard.

Last edited:
Well looks like the monet theory is finished its stussy.
Post automatically merged:

No trolling here, friend! I've been proudly sailing the Monet flag since May 15, 2015 when I found Syphin's theory on the subject (There's Something About Monet). I wish I could say I was the one to originally suggest the theory, but I'll be damned if I'm not the one who's supported it the loudest

As for your argument, stab wounds to the heart are shockingly survivable, with a 40% survival rate with treatment. Of course, the heart injuries in the study are puncture wounds, whereas my argument is that Monet was not actually stabbed at all, merely cut. Sure, that would still probably be a grievous injury in real life, but bare in mind that even Luffy has been pierced completely through the chest and survived without complication (ch. 178, pg. 19), to say nothing of all of the other obviously fatal wounds that people in One Piece have survived. Frankly arguing about the realism or survivability of something in One Piece is just silly. If you think it's bad writing, then I'm sorry you're not enjoying the read

I didn't go into much detail on Monet's relationship with the children in the main body of this particular theory, but I've since added an explanation later in the thread and in a disclaimer preceding the theory. If you haven't read those explanations, then I understand why you'd be unconvinced, so I'd recommend giving them a read. If you have already read them and still don't agree, then there's not much I can do about that

It wouldn't make any sense for Monet to be on G-14 since she's not affiliated with the Marines and would immediately be recognized by Tashigi; Egghead, on the other hand, may be a government-affiliated island, but it's still Vegapunk's territory, so if he and Monet struck some kind of deal, it'd be a lot easier for her to hide out with him than on G-14

I'm sure there are holes in my logic, but everything you've pointed out is something I've addressed at one point or another already. If the evidence I've provided is unconvincing to you, so be it, our respective belief in the evidence won't change the outcome either way. In the end, I'll believe until I'm explicitly proven wrong, and I imagine you'll believe I'm wrong unless I'm explicitly proven right. Either way, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else that I'm right, I'm only trying to help people keep an open mind to the possibilities. The worst-case scenario for me isn't that Monet doesn't come back, it's that people will be rude to each other over the outcome
You should realise oda gives zero fucks these days. Monet has no impact in storyline and she is not related to luffy anyway.

Monet's entire purpose was to serve doflamingo thats it. We are almost near to final arc there are more important characters oda will draw .

Sad to say but i dont buy this monet is alive i truly think you have reached the end where youll find it hard to justify why she should comeback alive.

Last edited:
My point was that Logia is surely the rarest, that’s why Vegapunk has difficulties to copy Logia DF. Even with Vegapunk’s genius mind it’s practically impossible to copy a Logia. I mean besides “interesting aspects”, still so off that the first female with rarest DF type wasted just like that.

Not to mention that we haven’t seen Yuki Yuki in circulation until now. With what Vegapunk stated that Logia DF can’t be copied further proves my suspicion, especially in an arc which is similar with Punk Hazard.
While it's not the most important factor, I do think that the lack of the Snow Snow Fruit's reincarnation is a compelling argument for Monet's eventual return. Having a Devil Fruit return to circulation without using it feels pretty wasteful. Though Smiley's hasn't been seen since it reincarnated into an apple, we at last got to see that happen, which Oda used to illustrate a) that Smiley was definitively dead, and b) how the process of Devil Fruit reincarnation works. The purpose of Smiley's Fruit was just to prove a point, but Monet's has yet to serve any further purpose, not even to prove that Monet is gone. The fact that these events occurred in the same arc really implies that these details are related conceptually.

Well looks like the monet theory is finished its stussy.

You should realise oda gives zero fucks these days. Monet has no impact in storyline and she is not related to luffy anyway.

Monet's entire purpose was to serve doflamingo thats it. We are almost near to final arc there are more important characters oda will draw .

Sad to say but i dont buy this monet is alive i truly think you have reached the end where youll find it hard to justify why she should comeback alive.
To be fair, it hasn't been explicitly stated that Stussy was the one that Vegapunk was calling. I admit it seems quite likely, and I'm definitely leaning towards that as the simplest explanation currently, but at least until we get hard confirmation that she doesn't have some completely separate motivations going on, I'll hold on hope a little while longer.

I'm sorry to hear you're unconvinced, but as I've said, the goal isn't to convince people, it's just to share my ideas and help people keep an open mind for alternative possibilities. I have no trouble justifying why I think she should come back, at least not to myself, and justifying it to other people has always been met with resistance, so from my perspective things haven't really changed. If Stussy confirms that she was the one that Vegapunk called, that will definitely hurt Monet's chances of returning in this arc dramatically, but I'd never go so far as to say that they're zero until the window of opportunity has definitively closed.

As I said in the theory itself, I don't see how Stussy would have had the opportunity to speak with Vegapunk over the Den Den Mushi as she was standing next to Lucci the entire time as far as we're aware. She also showed confusion in ch. 1071 at the barrier being deactivated, so we can be sure that she wasn't involved in the deactivation. I considered for a moment that she might have done so with the intention of separating Kaku and Lucci from the other CP0 agents, but I don't think that would have been necessary as she certainly could have taken on the nameless fodder just fine and her betrayal would have been just as much of a surprise outside of battle as it was in the heat of it.

What her motivations could be for betraying CP0 in this moment are honestly beyond me, and like I said in the theory, Stussy is very likely to be the one that Vegapunk called, but without an explicit statement, I have no reason to completely abandon my theory just yet. Also, as I've said, I'm not planning to stop believing in the possibility of Monet's return until the end of the year because I believe that will be the point where the narrative would have too much trouble reintegrating Monet to any meaningful degree. But even then, I can be wrong. For all we know, Monet will come back the day after I make an official statement that she's dead, and I'll be a laughingstock for being "the Monet guy that gave up at the last minute," and that's a cross I'm willing to bear.

This is the hill I've chosen to die on, and the only one that's capable of killing me is Oda himself.

While it's not the most important factor, I do think that the lack of the Snow Snow Fruit's reincarnation is a compelling argument for Monet's eventual return. Having a Devil Fruit return to circulation without using it feels pretty wasteful. Though Smiley's hasn't been seen since it reincarnated into an apple, we at last got to see that happen, which Oda used to illustrate a) that Smiley was definitively dead, and b) how the process of Devil Fruit reincarnation works. The purpose of Smiley's Fruit was just to prove a point, but Monet's has yet to serve any further purpose, not even to prove that Monet is gone. The fact that these events occurred in the same arc really implies that these details are related conceptually.

To be fair, it hasn't been explicitly stated that Stussy was the one that Vegapunk was calling. I admit it seems quite likely, and I'm definitely leaning towards that as the simplest explanation currently, but at least until we get hard confirmation that she doesn't have some completely separate motivations going on, I'll hold on hope a little while longer.

I'm sorry to hear you're unconvinced, but as I've said, the goal isn't to convince people, it's just to share my ideas and help people keep an open mind for alternative possibilities. I have no trouble justifying why I think she should come back, at least not to myself, and justifying it to other people has always been met with resistance, so from my perspective things haven't really changed. If Stussy confirms that she was the one that Vegapunk called, that will definitely hurt Monet's chances of returning in this arc dramatically, but I'd never go so far as to say that they're zero until the window of opportunity has definitively closed.

As I said in the theory itself, I don't see how Stussy would have had the opportunity to speak with Vegapunk over the Den Den Mushi as she was standing next to Lucci the entire time as far as we're aware. She also showed confusion in ch. 1071 at the barrier being deactivated, so we can be sure that she wasn't involved in the deactivation. I considered for a moment that she might have done so with the intention of separating Kaku and Lucci from the other CP0 agents, but I don't think that would have been necessary as she certainly could have taken on the nameless fodder just fine and her betrayal would have been just as much of a surprise outside of battle as it was in the heat of it.

What her motivations could be for betraying CP0 in this moment are honestly beyond me, and like I said in the theory, Stussy is very likely to be the one that Vegapunk called, but without an explicit statement, I have no reason to completely abandon my theory just yet. Also, as I've said, I'm not planning to stop believing in the possibility of Monet's return until the end of the year because I believe that will be the point where the narrative would have too much trouble reintegrating Monet to any meaningful degree. But even then, I can be wrong. For all we know, Monet will come back the day after I make an official statement that she's dead, and I'll be a laughingstock for being "the Monet guy that gave up at the last minute," and that's a cross I'm willing to bear.

This is the hill I've chosen to die on, and the only one that's capable of killing me is Oda himself.
Good thing you admit your theory can be wrong i respect you for that mate.

Good thing you admit your theory can be wrong i respect you for that mate.
Thank you. It's a tough thing to be able to admit when one is wrong, and in my experience, a rare trait.

I've added a brief addendum to this theory to account for the new revelations in 1072. I'll post it here as well just so no one has to go hunting for it.

In the time since I first posted this theory, ch. 1072 has come and gone, and Stussy has in fact betrayed CP0 by first knocking out Kaku with a sneak attack and now has her sights set on Lucci.

We learn that Stussy is actually a clone of former Rocks Pirate Miss Buckingham Stussy (easily the most surprising way Oda could have confirmed that Miss Buckin/Bakkin was in fact a Rocks Pirate as many had theorized), and that she was created by MADS, explaining why she stated she "[hadn't] been [to Egghead] in ages" in ch.1068. This would strongly suggest that she was in fact the one that Vegapunk called, as this establishes a very clear relationship between the two of them.

I acknowledge that Monet's chances for returning in this instance have now dramatically slimmed, but they have not been reduced to zero quite yet. Notably, we have not yet learned Stussy's motivations for her actions here, so there's any number of reasons why she could be betraying Lucci.

Being the clone of a Rocks Pirate, she could just as easily be associated with Blackbeard, who has taken up residence at the former headquarters of the Rocks Pirates. Perhaps she's trying to capture Vegapunk to bring his technology to Blackbeard rather than to leave it in the hands of the World Government?

Or maybe she's working for the Revolutionaries and is legitimately trying to save Vegapunk independently of Vegapunk asking her to do so? She already works undercover as one of the heads of the criminal underworld for CP0, it wouldn't be odd for her to be undercover as a member of CP0 for the Revolutionaries to undermine the World Government from within.

Also, the events of this chapter don't really seem to line up with the idea that she's explicitly Vegapunk's ally. Not only did Stussy do nothing to prevent the Seraphim from destroying the lab on Lucci's order, which could easily have gotten Vegapunk killed and thus causing her to fail in that particular mission...

...but Shaka still seems to consider Stussy a threat.

At first, Nami and Usopp assume that Zoro and Brook only have to fend off Lucci, Kaku and Stussy, claiming it to be a 2-on-3 match-up, but Shaka notes that "the odds are worse than that" as the Seraphim arrive. When the group changes their estimation to 2-on-7, Shaka doesn't correct them by saying that it's 3-on-6, and instead focuses on sending Edison and Lilith to overtake CP0's priority in the Seraphim's chain of command to turn the tide. If Stussy were on Vegapunk's side, Shaka would presumably consider her an asset that would offset Lucci's priority and at least bring the Seraphim to a halt with conflicting orders of the same priority. The fact that Shaka does not take Stussy's allegiance into consideration when assessing the situation suggests that it wasn't a factor he was aware of.

Of course, this could just be Oda not wanting to give the game away early, but I don't think he would have any of the Vegapunks completely ignore such an obvious piece on the board. Furthermore, Oda does have a tendency to use misdirects like this, giving us information that seems to fit one scenario only to reveal another entirely. For example, at the start of the chapter, we see a narration from Vegapunk chronicling the artificial creation of a human life.

By the end of the chapter, we learn that Stussy is the first successful clone created by MADS, so naturally, we would conclude that the "undeniable human being" that MADS has created and that people might disagree with the creation of is Stussy. However, as we move on from that narration, who do we see? Bonney, reverting to her child form and crying on the floor in the fetal position.

The imagery of a child crying while we learn of a controversial way for a human to be brought into the world? That really feels like the narration is meant to refer to her. Admittedly, I actually spent the first half of the chapter thinking this only to turn around once we learned that Stussy was a clone, but I think that it's actually a double-fake. We were supposed to think that it wasn't actually referring to Bonney, when in fact it was! I won't go into it since it's not my theory, but Artur's theory that Bonney is actually a clone of Big Mom could well back up this point.

If Stussy is meant to be a red herring for Bonney, I wouldn't be surprised if she's also meant to be a red herring for Monet as well. I imagine that 1073 will settle this quickly, as we'll most likely get Stussy's motivations within that chapter, but at the time of writing this that chapter hasn't come out yet, so I can hold out hope at least a few more days.

Last edited:
Tokiro, considering the events that happened after chapter 1072, what are your thoughts on Monet's return to the plot? I'm very interested in your thoughts. It seems to me that the answers we received in chapter 1073 put an end to the fact that Monet called Den-Den Mushi. And it's very sad. It was a great opportunity. I don't know what to think.

Tokiro, considering the events that happened after chapter 1072, what are your thoughts on Monet's return to the plot? I'm very interested in your thoughts. It seems to me that the answers we received in chapter 1073 put an end to the fact that Monet called Den-Den Mushi. And it's very sad. It was a great opportunity. I don't know what to think.
So for personal reasons, I'm not going to get into what I think is going to happen or when, but I will say it's pretty clear that Monet's reintroduction is not going to be anything like how I envisioned it. I do still think that she has a connection to the Lunarians and will be motivated to interact with the Seraphim, which would give her plenty of excuse to insert herself into the current plotline. There's a lot of balls in the air right now, so it feels less likely that it will happen during the Egghead arc like I thought, and may well happen after 2023, which would mean that I'll still have to make good on my promise to give Monet a eulogy regardless of whether I think there's still a chance.

A friend of mine anticipates that we'll see her in ch.1111, since she'd be the 11th Straw Hat, which is definitely past my cutoff.

So for personal reasons, I'm not going to get into what I think is going to happen or when, but I will say it's pretty clear that Monet's reintroduction is not going to be anything like how I envisioned it. I do still think that she has a connection to the Lunarians and will be motivated to interact with the Seraphim, which would give her plenty of excuse to insert herself into the current plotline. There's a lot of balls in the air right now, so it feels less likely that it will happen during the Egghead arc like I thought, and may well happen after 2023, which would mean that I'll still have to make good on my promise to give Monet a eulogy regardless of whether I think there's still a chance.

A friend of mine anticipates that we'll see her in ch.1111, since she'd be the 11th Straw Hat, which is definitely past my cutoff.
I understand your feelings. There are a little less than 3 months left until the end of the year, perhaps Monet will still have time to fly into the plot. In the meantime, don't lose hope and don't get upset ahead of time, my friend. I pray fervently for her return. Dawn will come. I just think that Oda has big plans for Monet. Whether it's the path to One Piece or some other obstacle on the way to the main treasure, she will be able to enter the plot in a variety of ways.

Considering the events that have happened to others from the Worst Generations. I think Luffy will be captured, and possibly their entire team. Because there are no victories without defeats. Perhaps the prison ship will lie through the G14 base, not so long ago mentioned in the plot. And here the team will be able to meet our lovely Harpy, ms. Happy "Monet", perhaps secretly hiding at the base of the watch. After all, she was an experienced spy.

And again, as usual, I was touched by your theory about this call. Very beautifully painted. And the ending about the heavenly islands was just magical!

About chapter 1111 - this is extremely and extremely interesting. I'm intrigued.

I understand your feelings. There are a little less than 3 months left until the end of the year, perhaps Monet will still have time to fly into the plot. In the meantime, don't lose hope and don't get upset ahead of time, my friend. I pray fervently for her return. Dawn will come. I just think that Oda has big plans for Monet. Whether it's the path to One Piece or some other obstacle on the way to the main treasure, she will be able to enter the plot in a variety of ways.

Considering the events that have happened to others from the Worst Generations. I think Luffy will be captured, and possibly their entire team. Because there are no victories without defeats. Perhaps the prison ship will lie through the G14 base, not so long ago mentioned in the plot. And here the team will be able to meet our lovely Harpy, ms. Happy "Monet", perhaps secretly hiding at the base of the watch. After all, she was an experienced spy.

And again, as usual, I was touched by your theory about this call. Very beautifully painted. And the ending about the heavenly islands was just magical!

About chapter 1111 - this is extremely and extremely interesting. I'm intrigued.
Honestly I'm mostly just upset that the year didn't go how I wanted it to. It's been a bad year for me in general, and I was hoping that I was having a string of bad luck to build up to the one bit of good luck that would mean the most to me (Monet coming back), but thus far the bad luck hasn't really stopped. I don't mind humbling myself for losing the bet too much, especially if it turns out I was right after the fact, I just really feel like I need a win sometime soon, and that would be the best one I could ask for.

Monet is one of my fave female characters in OP. Her design, Personality and powers are very Interesting. I'd like to see her back, but unfortunately that's far fetched imo, she's a side character with no real importance to the story as a whole.

Honestly I'm mostly just upset that the year didn't go how I wanted it to. It's been a bad year for me in general, and I was hoping that I was having a string of bad luck to build up to the one bit of good luck that would mean the most to me (Monet coming back), but thus far the bad luck hasn't really stopped. I don't mind humbling myself for losing the bet too much, especially if it turns out I was right after the fact, I just really feel like I need a win sometime soon, and that would be the best one I could ask for.
I'm really sorry that you're having a bad luck streak right now. I really hope that it will end very soon. You've done a lot of good things. Your thoughts have prompted many to think. Personally, when I watched One Piece for the first time, Monet seemed uninteresting to me, I haven't seen much in the Oda's history. I was a different person then. But after the second viewing, I began to understand the work much better. And I saw that something was wrong with Monet. This is the only character in the story that is shrouded in many mysteries. Her true nature, driven by caring for children, truly amazed me. The anime focused on her sadism and thereby misled a lot of people. (They do this with Robin sometimes, inappropriate phrases from her that are not in the manga). Before blowing up the island, she didn't say that everyone would die on the island with a satisfied grin. In the anime, she even focused on everyone who was on the island. This is absolutely out of character for her.

I started with this, and I will finish with this: something good is sure to happen in your life. You're a good person. Don't give up and don't lose heart! My bad year was 2022. And the only thing that helped me was the rewatching of One Piece. This is truly a masterpiece!
Good things will happen. And maybe it will be what you don't expect it to be.

Last edited: