Character Discussion POLL: Was Zoro giving up Shusui an out of character moment for Zoro

Was giving up Shusui an out of character moment for Zoro

• Total voters
Difficult to say. Imo the most Zoro reaction when he was asked to return Shushui, even if there was the exchange for Enma, would have been to reject it since he was given the sword by its previous owner Ryuma, if Wano doesn't believe him then that is their problem, so they have no right over it. It is like if Zoro dies and the SHs want to keep his swords instead of pass them to his successor. Then there is also to consider that not only Zoro had that sword for 2+ years but he doesn't consider swords as simple objects. The Wado is the symbol of the promise which characterizes the whole character so it is basically Zoro's soul. The Nidai accepted Zoro as its master and finally Shushi was the legacy of Ryuma passed to Zoro.. So screw those ignorant fools who wanted Shushui back, and to do what btw? Put it in a museum or get it taken by Kaido eventually? Then of course it would have been very Zoro like to accept challengers and whoever beat him had the right to take Shushui.

On the other hand maybe Oda wanted Zoro to change swords again without using the overused trick of the broken sword.. But on the other hand he had Zoro give one of his swords away like it meant almost nothing.

I personally feel like Zoro's relationship with his swords should be deeper than the attractive of a "Kaido slayer". For it to be more believable, he should have been confronted on Shusui being a treasure by people he cared more about, or at least in a more personal way (an intimate dialogue with Kin'emon, for example, to truly empathize with him), and we should have had a scene of Zoro visiting Ryuma's grave before accepting to give his sword back and not the other way around (as it happened). It all felt cheap and way too cold for a sword that was entrusted by Ryuma himself, albeit as a corpse, and Zoro focusing on Enma's strength seemed a bit... puerile, I'd say?

No he has always been a caring person. In his introduction arc he was willing to suffer for a little girl and even ate a dirty rice ball so her feeling weren't hurt. Zoro understood what the sword meant to wano citizens not only that he was given a sword in exchange that made him stronger.

Yeah, I think Zoro being sort of gruff makes people forget his actual character.

1. He doesn't take pride in Shusui. Yes, he was legitimately chosen, but at the same time his fight against Ryuma doesn't count. Upon learning about the history of Shusui, he would also have to realize that what makes Shusui special was an effort that wasn't his own.

2. He's not a dick to people for his own sake. Had Kinemon made the same speech that the Ringo group made and also offered him a replacement, it would have possibly gone over well.

Zoro focusing on Enma's strength seemed a bit... puerile, I'd say?
That was Hiyori trying to sell it, but he was indifferent.

Shusui was earned by Zoro and most importantly it was passed on by its previous owner to Zoro.
So what Wano people's sentimental has with it shouldn't matter.
Also Zoro getting Emma when Oden's own flesh blood son and daughter are alive is anticlimactic.
I didn't like Hiyori's logic there , didn't Zoro told her how he got Shusui.

I think Zolo will get Shusui back by the end of Wano
Enma probably won’t make it through the arc (fingers crossed Shu comes back) & he’ll need another sword.
I think Hiyori will give it back, saying he’s Wano’s new treasure or some shit
:sanmoji:

Shusui was earned by Zoro and most importantly it was passed on by its previous owner to Zoro.
So what Wano people's sentimental has with it shouldn't matter.
Also Zoro getting Emma when Oden's own flesh blood son and daughter are alive is anticlimactic.
I didn't like Hiyori's logic there , didn't Zoro told her how he got Shusui.
"Beloved hero? Well you see, somewhere out on the ocean a pirate reanimated his corpse. I fucked that thing up and Shusui fell into my hands. So no, you can't have it back lol"

For me it was. Ryuuma, even if it was just the zombie, declaring Zoro to be the new owner of Shusui should have made it absolute.
Of course one can argue that since Zoro is the owner, he can do anytbing he wants, but it feld like a sacred thing got broken for me.

No it did not ruin his character. Just like how Zoro having Conqueror's Haki does not ruin his purpose. Zoro gladly accept Enma and return Shusui back to Wano as a national treasure where it should belong.