Questions & Mysteries Question regarding army numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something that has been on my mind quite a lot. Throughout this series we've seen Generals lead armies in which the numbers strongly varied at times. For example, during the coalition war we can see Tou leading an army of 5K holding down RinBunKun, but then in the same arc we see that his army combined with Moubu's is 70K. Then during the Gyou invasion he is leading an army of 40K but during the Juuko arc only 20K. But it seems somewhat nonsensical for a Great General to only lead an army of 20K when someone like Kyou En was leading an army of 40K during the Sanyou campaign despite only being a general.
The only consistency we can see with the numbers is with Shin, Mouten, and Ouhon, and when their ranks rise up we see how many soldiers they are leading at that moment.

So my question is basically how many soldiers would each Qin general have roughly?

Not sure why you are getting hung up on numbers. A Great General or General has as many soldiers as they are allocated to lead by their superiors. Asking what size is an army is like asking how long is a piece of string. Lol.

Not sure why you are getting hung up on numbers. A Great General or General has as many soldiers as they are allocated to lead by their superiors. Asking what size is an army is like asking how long is a piece of string. Lol.
What I'm trying to get at is that each of the top dogs has an army exclusive to them. I was wondering how high that number would be. It was stated that Tou took over Ouki's army after he died but how high (roughly) would that number be?

What I'm trying to get at is that each of the top dogs has an army exclusive to them. I was wondering how high that number would be. It was stated that Tou took over Ouki's army after he died but how high (roughly) would that number be?
So personal retinue? Probably not that big. Armies are resource intensive to maintain, what someone like Tou could personally muster up from the resources available solely to himself is not going to be anywhere near what the Qin Court could muster up and appoint Tou to lead.

Factors are going to include things such as; how much territory does Tou control? What is the population on the territory that he controls? What is the demographic of the aforementioned population? How many soldiers does he need to leave behind on his territory to act as a garrison?

Ultimately, what I would expect someone like Tou to be able to personally muster might be something in the realm of around 10,000-20,000 soldiers.

After all, Yotanwa, who is an outright monarch of an entire kingdom, could only muster a force of 50,000 for the Gyou campaign. Lol.

As General you can control/command max 90/99K soldiers over 100k is for Great General rank.

Mou bu left like 100k at the chu border and took only 30k into the chu territory.
Tou took 10k and Rokuomi's 10k to back up Mou bu.
Why? Because you can still have to protect the areas that you left and they also took soldiers from Tou army to gain adv in Zhao which was the goal of the alliance to begin with.

This is something that has been on my mind quite a lot. Throughout this series we've seen Generals lead armies in which the numbers strongly varied at times. For example, during the coalition war we can see Tou leading an army of 5K holding down RinBunKun, but then in the same arc we see that his army combined with Moubu's is 70K. Then during the Gyou invasion he is leading an army of 40K but during the Juuko arc only 20K. But it seems somewhat nonsensical for a Great General to only lead an army of 20K when someone like Kyou En was leading an army of 40K during the Sanyou campaign despite only being a general.
The only consistency we can see with the numbers is with Shin, Mouten, and Ouhon, and when their ranks rise up we see how many soldiers they are leading at that moment.

So my question is basically how many soldiers would each Qin general have roughly?
its not certain cuz
the main army is different from war to war

for ex shin his army now is 15k but techniclaly he is not leading all 15 during the battle he only leads small amount
only small amounts that move with him everywhere in the battle , that's why tou has 5k when he attacked RBK
__
i think your question should be how many soldiers the main army of a certain general

well there's no number like this except the new trio

In both instances, Tou was forced to take part of his army. Against the Chu, Moubu was leading 60.000, Tou was leading 30.000. Their combined forces were estimated to be 90.000. Tou left his spot at the HQ of the 30.000 soldiers with a small unit to strike an advancing Rinbukun who was about to kill Rukoumi.

Your question should be "does a general have the permission to lead x number of soldiers"? Because when a 5000-man commander's promoted to General, he's allowed to lead as many soldiers above 5000 the monarchy deems necessary. Great general Tou led a separate army of 20,000 to aid Moubu by orders from SHK but in Tou's first ever campaign as a General (a rank below his current self) he commanded much more troops because he had to conquer the Chiyoyou region of Wei.

So a general or great general can command as many soldiers as the situation demands by orders from Kanyou. The difference is that GGs normally have extremely overpowered vassals. A 6GG could command an indefinite number of troops, they could recruit any forces in the region without needing any permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.