Discussion Power Ranking the Captains (TYBW Arc)

H

Haoshoku

Rank All 13 Captains at their best based off the Thousand Year Blood War Arc.

What I took into account in my list:
1. My list took performance and what was shown into account moreso than what could have been, for example the Vizard captains have cases to be higher with their hollowfication but they simply never used it. I’m not sure if there was a reason provided in one of the novels but I think the reason they didn’t use it had to do with with the honor of being a Gotei 13 member or something like that. Though Mashiro used her mask while training with Shuhei, but I guess she’s not officially part of the Gotei and Kensei just brought her to help train Shuhei. This also applies to characters like Ukitake, if we got more with him he could have been higher on my list.

With that being said, this joint legit took me 3 days to make and compile. I wanted to go in depth for some Captains but sadly there’s an image limit so I wasn’t able to do so, but it was getting kind of long and I said mostly what needed to be said.

13.​
Soi-fon
Coming in at 13, I got Soifon. I think this one is self explanatory or at least should be. Soifon was already one of the weaker Captains to begin with. With the other weaker Captains who were around her level gaining new abilities and power ups, she gets bumped in the rankings. She honestly didn’t do much either as far as feats go to demand a higher spot.

In her fight against BG9, she didn’t really impress despite mastering her Shunko to this extent:
She barely even left a scratch on BG9 using this improved Shunko and couldn’t handle him in close quarters combat either:
She barely managed a win by getting her bankai back and Omaeda helped her lift her arm to aim the Jakuho missle towards BG9.

With BG9 being one of the weaker Sternritter, you can already see why she comes in at 13. She practically did nothing noteworthy for the rest of the arc and was possibly one of the people who were sidelined due to Lille’s deadly sniping during the Wahrwelt invasion, she wasn’t shown and wouldn’t have mattered vs the Schutzstaffel anyway.

12. Kensei
Kensei comes in here for me. Similar to Soifon, he simply didn’t stand out much to demand a higher spot. His shining moment came when he used his bankai against Mask and he was looking good here for a moment:
Until Mask used his superstar hax and he proceeded to become a punching bag to create an opening for Rose. Not much else to say tbh, he’s one of those captains who are clearly below post Royal Guard training Renji and as such, this is where he belongs.

11. Rose
Pretty much what I said about Kensei can be applied to Rose. Although his bankai looked more impressive than Kensei’s and he performed better against Mask using it. Again like Kensei, Rose was looking good at one moment:
And then Mask proceeds to pop his freaking ear drums to dissipate the bankai’s effects. With his bankai rendered ineffective, he was basically done.
For some reason Kubo was on a mission to use the Vizard Captains as punching bags to hype up the Sternritter and then have those Sternritter be defeated by other characters like post RG Renji, whom Rose is clearly weaker than which is why he comes in at 11th.

10. Shinji
I never thought someone like Shinji would be this low but we cannot go against the evidence and author intent.

Where to begin with Shinji? This dude was catching so many Ls in the final arc that I’d honestly rename him Shanji. It was that bad.

This isn’t even taking into account what happened during the first invasion, we don’t know who Shinji actually faced in the first invasion but everyone was losing at the time. We can cut him some slack there no problem. However what happened throughout the rest of the arc is indicative of why he deserves to be called Shanji.

Let me break this down, chronologically:

Chapter 554- He confronts a rampaging Bambietta, immediately puts her under Sakanade’s effects:
- Bambietta gets dizzy, Shinji explains how the inverted world works and remarks that he’s not fond of cutting up “young misses”, as a result he doesn’t even attack her.

Chapter 555- Bambietta goes Vollstandig, ends with a cliffhanger of an explosion erupting in front of Shinji.

Chapter 556- Shinji passes out from the initial explosion, he gets bombed further as he falls:
- Bambietta attempts to finish him off but Komamura (of all people) protects him from getting attacked any further.

Chapter 581- Shinji is seen for the first time since getting bodied by Bambietta.

- He locates Soi Fon and Omaeda with Momo, they plan on saving Kenpachi from being killed by the quincy girls (post Gremmy battle) and Bazz B confronts Shinji and attacks him at this time:
- As a result of Bazz B’s intervention, (even though we don’t see what happens with Shinji) he is not part of the team that confronts the quincy girls. Which only tells us that he got another L.

Chapter 658: -During the Wahrwelt fight, he is one of the many characters that get sidelined by Gerard, being carried by his Vice Captain wounded and broken whilst we are shown Toshiro (who just showed up at the time) battling Gerard in the distance:
- this is the last we see of Shinji in the war.
Imagine having a final arc like this after being such a dog in the Arrancar Saga. After beating base Grimmjow and forcing him to almost release and after being the first guy to wound and momentarily throw Aizen off his game in a 1v1. He went from all that to being the one getting dogged by Bambietta and being rendered irrelevant vs Gerard.

Kubo did this man real dirty lmao. He has no case to be higher than this besides his hollowfication. Post RG Renji vs Shinji? Hard to realize but even Renji has surpassed Shinji at this point.

9. Dangai Komamura
After the Vizard Captains and Soifon, Komamura should be around here. In his human form, he got a pretty big boost in power to the point that he was able to one shot the same Bambietta who dogged on Shinji rather easily:
Of course at this point, the humanization technique made Komamura invulnerable to damage to an extent. Characters with higher reiatsu levels and hax would able to beat him though, which is why he isn’t higher than this imo. Still pretty solid though. He can body Shinji.

8. Ukitake
Ukitake like the Vizard Captains was another character who Kubo didn’t do much with in this arc (besides the Mimihagi stuff) but when we are talking about what he did in the entire series, he’s unlike all the Captains and is in a class of his own at that point. He barely was in any fights throughout the entire series. His only notable moments are fighting alongside Shunsui against Yamamoto and then later on Starrk. But he got sidelined by Wonderweiss and was asleep for the rest of Fake Karakura, causing him to miss the action everyone got against Aizen.

During the first Sternritter invasion, he was matched up against a Sternritter that looks like Askin:
If this is Askin, it’d be nice to see this expanded on in the anime.

But besides that, he’s got clear portrayal of being one of the top Captains, Yamamoto called him and Shunsui his strongest students and stated they were in a class of their own. That is enough to place him here but without any feats and illness holding him back, I can’t place him higher than the Captains who faced off against the Schutzstaffel (who are Royal Guard level) who gained/developed new abilities.

7. Mayuri
Mayuri comes in here for me. He was able to hang with one of the Schutzstaffel and the left arm of the Soul King in Pernida, though he ultimately would not have beaten him without Nemu’s help. Being able to contend with one of the elite quincys 1v1 for a while is enough to place him here but I don’t think he’s near the remaining Captains.

6. Byakuya
Post RG training Byakuya is one of the strongest Captains left for the Gotei 13 by the time he shows up. Simply put, he gains a considerable boost in overall power to the point that he could singlehandedly battle 5 Sternritter and manage to defeat 3 of them in just shikai:

Whereas before, he couldn’t even handle one. He was strong enough to play a crucial support role vs Gerard, who’s probably the strongest Quincy under Yhwach when he gets to the peak of his miracle hax. One spot shy of the top 5 is where he belongs.

5. Shunsui
I had a hard time choosing between Unohana and Shunsui at 4.

On one hand, you have Shunsui: a guy who has been portrayed as one of the strongest Captains. Was able to go toe to toe and force one of the Schutzstaffel in Lille to use Vollstandig. Dominated Vollstandig Lille with his Bankai:
Shunsui has better feats but on the other hand, you have Unohana who’s potrayal alone builds a stronger case imo but its close. Shunsui is clearly the strongest Captain by the time he’s Head Captain outside of the only War Potential in the Gotei and Toshiro.

4. Unohana
Unohana, while lacking comparable feats to Shunsui, has the superior portrayal, the panels speak for themselves:
She was also able to constantly fodderize early TYBW Kenpachi in their death battle, that Kenpachi is arguably stronger than most of the Captains who were struggling against the Sternritter in the first invasion.

Kenpachi wasn’t relative to her until he was close to restoring his unlocked power, which showcases she’s comfortably above anyone not named Shunsui and Byakuya, but is below the remaining Captains, who simply have greater feats, greater power or both.

3. Toshiro

Toshiro is within the top 3 for only one reason; his adult form:
Without it, he’s around 9 for me, possibly lower.

In his adult form, he’s able to hang with 2nd form Gerard. At this point, Toshiro is easily stronger than Shikai Kenpachi whom was able to defeat Gremmy (the strongest non-Schuzstaffel) and this is demonstrated when Toshiro was able to completely cut the Hoffnung in two:

not to mention negating its hax
While Shikai Kenpachi was struggling just to nick it:

Remember, Shikai Kenpachi at this point is heads and shoulders above the majority of the Captains which showcases just how strong Toshiro is in his adult form.

Another thing I would like to mention when it comes to Toshiro. Although this is lowkey speculation but taking a look back at this statement made by Shunsui in reference to Toshiro:

At face value, Shunsui was only making a guess about Toshiro’s potential here. But when you start to consider how Soul Reapers age and how mature Daigen Hyourinmaru is basically the pinnacle of his power.....It starts making a lot of sense.

We saw how characters like Byakuya and Gin were kids in the Turn Back The Pendulum flashback, which was 100 years ago give or take. Matured DH might as well be him a century older considering all that. Adding more credence to Toshiro being superior to Shunsui already.

2. Yamamoto
This one is pretty straightforward imo. Although it is debatable if he’s clearly above Adult Toshiro, I’m going with Yamamoto. Besides Kenpachi, he’s the only other Captain in the Gotei 13 who was potentially going to be considered part of the War Potentials by Yhwach, but wasn’t placed there because he lost an arm and gotten weaker than he was in his prime, as stated by Yhwach:

This is why he’s below Kenpachi who I got at no.1, but he’s above the rest.

1. Kenpachi
I got Kenpachi at no.1, he has a well grounded foundation of feats, portrayal and hype all in one. He’s within the top 5 without his bankai and with it, I think he’s honestly the strongest.

Kenpachi’s strength was considered invaluable to the Gotei 13 in the war multiple times:

He was the only figure from the Gotei 13 to be considered part of the 5 War Potentials:
With only a weaker and one armed Yamamoto coming close to that category.

In bankai, he displays a ridiculous amount of raw power when he was able to not only stop Gerard’s fist by biting it, but proceeded to chew off the dude’s entire arm:
And then he proceeds to cut him in half:
You gotta realize Gerard at this point is strong enough to no sell pretty much everyone except for a few select characters at the very top of the verse, i.e Yhwach, Aizen, Ichigo etc. So for Kenpachi to maul this dude like that is quite impressive.

I have seen people arguing that Toshiro replicated similar feats against a stronger Gerard and conclude Toshiro is superior, however:
1. 2nd form Gerard was able to fight back against Toshiro and break out of his flash freezing:
Whereas, Bankai Kenpachi vs Gerard was a completely one sided beatdown.

2. Who’s to say that Bankai Kenpachi wouldn’t be able to do just as well against 2nd form Gerard? If not better? Considering how like I said, 1st form Gerard didn’t stand no chance at all against Bankai Kenpachi which prompted Gerard to enter his 2nd form in turn to challenge Bankai Kenpachi.

Kenpachi is so strong at this point, that even in base its implied he can one shot Captains:
And Toshiro doesn’t deny that he could.

All in all, I think Kubo was making it pretty evident that Kenpachi was the strongest the Gotei 13 had at their disposal against the Wandenreich. Having him as a War Potential + the numerous statements showcasing his irreplaceable strength. I think that’s enough to place him on the No.1 spot.

Tags:
@Blackbeard @Van @Topi Jerami @ZenZu @RayanOO @TheAncientCenturion @Jiihad @Jo_Ndule @playa4321 and the rest

H

Haoshoku

@Blackbeard @Van @Topi Jerami @ZenZu @RayanOO @TheAncientCenturion @Jiihad @Jo_Ndule @playa4321 @ShadyOjiro @Zexion~

Tag didn't work for me. Are we ranking them off performance or strength? I don't want Toshi coming in here and yelling at me because I rate Toshiro high again lmao.
Looks like the tags didn’t work.

Lmao ZenZu has nothing to object to when it comes to Toshiro. He should be top 5 at the very least on anyone’s list. I ranked them based off performance and strength.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Something I didn't notice until the color pic you posted was Byakuya defeating Robert Accutrone, Nananana and Candice all at the same time in shikai. Holy fuck is that powerful. Robert Accutrone in base was a match for Shunsui, the man even claimed he was going to be fighting with more encouragement now that Yamamoto was in the field but still couldn't put Robert down. At the very least, that'd put base Robert ~ Starrk's Resurrección.

And Byakuya took him out alongside with 2 other Sternritter (albeit Giselle and Lilotto calls Candice and Meninas weaker than either of them) out pretty efficiently. Post-Reio Byakuya's OP as fuck.

Looks like the tags didn’t work.

Lmao ZenZu has nothing to object to when it comes to Toshiro. He should be top 5 at the very least on anyone’s list. I ranked them based off performance and strength.
Lmao. I might need to do a good rethrough before putting up a serious list. I still say Ukitake ~ Shunsui though, based off Yamamoto's statements on them. Though Jyuushiro was a lot more disappointing in the end.

H

Haoshoku

Something I didn't notice until the color pic you posted was Byakuya defeating Robert Accutrone, Nananana and Candice all at the same time in shikai. Holy fuck is that powerful. Robert Accutrone in base was a match for Shunsui, the man even claimed he was going to be fighting with more encouragement now that Yamamoto was in the field but still couldn't put Robert down. At the very least, that'd put base Robert ~ Starrk's Resurrección.

And Byakuya took him out alongside with 2 other Sternritter (albeit Giselle and Lilotto calls Candice and Meninas weaker than either of them) out pretty efficiently. Post-Reio Byakuya's OP as fuck.
It gets even wilder. What if I told you they were all in Vollstandig?
Though we see Meninas and Liltotto in base right after but its implied they all fought off screen in their Vollstandig forms.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
It gets even wilder. What if I told you they were all in Vollstandig?
Though we see Meninas and Liltotto in base right after but its implied they all fought off screen in their Vollstandig forms.
Lmao. I can believe they were in Vollstandig. Candice was right before this, IIRC. And unless Byakuya beat them that quickly, I doubt they'd withhold it.

So how close would this Byakuya be to the Royal Guard if he could Low to Mid diff 3 Sternritter, two of which are mid tiers and 1 of them was able to go toe to toe with Shunsui?

Something tells me he could fuck up Lille Barro if they fought, until he turns into his godly bird form, or probably beat Pernida. Askin's a no-go for his reiatsu immunity and Gerard Valkyrie we've already seen.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
1. Yamamoto
-undisputed #1. Juba Bach didnt want to mess with Yammamoto initially because of his bankai. Shikai Yamma was stronger than Aizen.

2. Kenpachi
-Beat Unohana without Shikai and with just shikai, could fight on par with an Elite Sternritter. With Bankai, he could flat out overpower one.

3. Unohana
-Was laughably above Kenpachi who could take out 3 Sternritter alone. Was placed on a higher pedestal by Shunsui. Its debatable of Shunsui would even get the chance to activate his bankai given the sheer difference in combat power.

4. Shunsui
-Bankai is just hax. Couldnt beat Robert without bankia but with it, almost achieved victory against an Elite Sternritter with Vollstandig.

5. Byakuya
-Could defeat 3 Sternritter by himself with shikai alone which is way above most. Bankai could take an Elite Sternritter.

6. Mayuri
-bullshit has allowed him to take on an Elite Sterntitter. Could also make Toshiro look a bitch without getting touched.

7. Ukitake
-Portrayal with Shunsui alone....hasnt done shit....

8. Komamura
-Power up only makes him immine to pain, which was his greatest set back. He could one shot Bambietta cause he knocked a few of her own bombs in her face.

9. Shinji
-Did nothing but get hurt by Nanana and one shotted by Bazz B but his portrayal puts hom above Rose.

10. Rose
-Above Toshiro cause his bankai cant be stopped by him. It almost stopped Superstar.

11. Toshiro
-Without his bankai, got murdered by Bazz B who wasnt using full strength. With bankai could one shot Cang Du who didnt have Vollstandig active.

12. Kensei
-Quickly got his beat by Superstar who wasnt using full strength

13. Soi Fon
-Got her ass beat by BG9 without her bankai and her bankai one shotted him without Vollstandig.

NOTE: Toshiro's adult form requires time to get into and time something Toshiro doesnt have against most captains. I only see him having enough time to transform against Soi Fon and Kensei.

H

Haoshoku

Lmao. I can believe they were in Vollstandig. Candice was right before this, IIRC. And unless Byakuya beat them that quickly, I doubt they'd withhold it.

So how close would this Byakuya be to the Royal Guard if he could Low to Mid diff 3 Sternritter, two of which are mid tiers and 1 of them was able to go toe to toe with Shunsui?

Something tells me he could fuck up Lille Barro if they fought, until he turns into his godly bird form, or probably beat Pernida. Askin's a no-go for his reiatsu immunity and Gerard Valkyrie we've already seen.
Post RG Byakuya’s first appearence is him casually roughing up As Nodt’s Tastarforas making As Nodt think he was using his bankai. Post RG Byakuya is pretty strong.

I think Byakuya is closer to Shunsui than any other Captain alive (disregarding Toshiro and Kenny). But I don’t think he beats a Schutzstaffel 1v1, though he puts up a very good fight. Pernida is a maybe imo. Byakuya isn’t as strong as Shunsui nor is his bankai as potent as Shunsui’s, he gets beaten by Vollstandig Lille handily, especially with that intangibility.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Bare with me as I barely remember the details.

-Adult Toshiro by itself would be top 3. But like Van said, he needs time to enter that form. I don't even see a reason why he should be placed above Mayuri who would never let him get into it. You can chalk that up to a matchup and not general power ranking, but then Mayuri even sonned Kenpachi to take on Pernida IIRC, he was one of the most impressive Captains off the top of my head tbh.

-Byakuya's has minimal feats, but how impressive is his feat of taking out 3 sternritter really? Considering Kenpachi pre training already casually achieved a similar feat.
So congrats to Byakuya I guess? Though the dude with glasses was pressuring Shunsui.

-Kensei is the most useless character I have ever seen, his bankai was the most pathetic in the entire manga. I find it hard to rank Soi Fon beneath that dude. She has more things going for her imo.

-Can say the same for Rose, mostly because of how big of an idiot he was giving away his gimmicky bankai's secret away like that.

- Can Kenpachi beat Yammammoto? I'm not even sure about that tbh.

So yea, those are my only minor nitpicks with your list. Move scrub ass Toshiro down because Adult Toshiro is not an accurate assessment of him as a whole. I have no idea about Komamura, and if this applies to him as well. If you isolate those modes than your ranking seems accurate.

The most debatable things being Mayuri and Byakuya (and Kenpachi / Yamamoto) I guess, but Byakuya has always had favourable portrayal prior to this arc. So I can't complain.

H

Haoshoku

NOTE: Toshiro's adult form requires time to get into and time something Toshiro doesnt have against most captains. I only see him having enough time to transform against Soi Fon and Kensei.
I aint wanna be the one to pop the bubble, I know some of yall ain’t like Toshiro but come on.

In match up situations? Fine, that would apply. Even though he was able to hang with Gerard alone until Byakuya got involved. But on a ranking list where bests are being considered, he’s top 3. Just like how Komamura’s situational technique is being considered. Other than that, solid list.

ZenZu

Btw I'm curious. If you guys were to include Renji, Rukia, and Gin in these lists where would you place them? Honestly I think all 3 are above Hitsugaya, Soi Fon, the shitty Vizards (Shinji shouldn't have been included in this but here we are). They came out beasts post training, and Gin is Gin, the power creep didn't strike me as that big atleast for the lower end Captains.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Btw I'm curious. If you guys were to include Renji, Rukia, and Gin in these lists where would you place them? Honestly I think all 3 are above Hitsugaya, Soi Fon, the shitty Vizards (Shinji shouldn't have been included in this but here we are). They came out beasts post training, and Gin is Gin, the power creep didn't strike me as that big atleast for the lower end Captains.
Added Urahara as well

1. Yammamoto
2. Kenpachi
3. Unohana
4. Urahara
5. Shunsui
6. Byakuya
7. Mayuri
8. Renji
9. Rukia
10. Gin
11. Ukitake
12. Shinji
13. Rose
15. Toshiro
1. Kensei
17. Soi Fon

H

Haoshoku

Bare with me as I barely remember the details.

-Adult Toshiro by itself would be top 3. But like Van said, he needs time to enter that form. I don't even see a reason why he should be placed above Mayuri who would never let him get into it. You can chalk that up to a matchup and not general power ranking, but then Mayuri even sonned Kenpachi to take on Pernida IIRC, he was one of the most impressive Captains off the top of my head tbh.

-Byakuya's has minimal feats, but how impressive is his feat of taking out 3 sternritter really? Considering Kenpachi pre training already casually achieved a similar feat.
So congrats to Byakuya I guess? Though the dude with glasses was pressuring Shunsui.

-Kensei is the most useless character I have ever seen, his bankai was the most pathetic in the entire manga. I find it hard to rank Soi Fon beneath that dude. She has more things going for her imo.

-Can say the same for Rose, mostly because of how big of an idiot he was giving away his gimmicky bankai's secret away like that.

- Can Kenpachi beat Yammammoto? I'm not even sure about that tbh.

So yea, those are my only minor nitpicks with your list. Move scrub ass Toshiro down because Adult Toshiro is not an accurate assessment of him as a whole. I have no idea about Komamura, and if this applies to him as well. If you isolate those modes than your ranking seems accurate.

The most debatable things being Mayuri and Byakuya (and Kenpachi / Yamamoto) I guess, but Byakuya has always had favourable portrayal prior to this arc. So I can't complain.
Well the difference being Kenpachi did that against 3 no names while putting in some effort while Byakuya did it casually against 3 stronger Sternritter who are established. Nanana was able to make Aizen go nearly unconscious with his underbelly ability. Even though Aizen was bound to that chair, still impressive. Candice is harder to gauge with her only notable feat being able to shoot down a half dead Kenpachi. Robert is as you already mentioned.

The Vizards in general were ass in the Final Arc, Kubo did them real dirty lmao. Shanji was the worst offender.
But I cannot place Soifon above Kensei, Kensei performed better against a stronger opponent without hollowfication.

I think Kenpachi vs Yamamoto boils down to the fact that Yamamoto was left off the War Potentials and Kenpachi was included.

Mayuri only accomplished that with a drug he used on top of his Shikai on an unsuspecting base Kenpachi, but yeah Mayuri did well against Pernida.

Without the modes, I’d place Toshiro at 9 or lower, Komamura falls back to 13.
Not sure where Gin would go, but its quite clear from the Mask fight that Renji is superior to the Vizards, Komamura, Soi fon etc. Rukia, I’d say the same as well tbh, her bankai is lethal in match up situations. Captain Rukia 10 years later (with her bankai mastered) is a force to be reckoned with.

ZenZu

Well the difference being Kenpachi did that against 3 no names while putting in some effort while Byakuya did it casually against 3 stronger Sternritter who are established. Nanana was able to make Aizen go nearly unconscious with his underbelly ability. Even though Aizen was bound to that chair, still impressive. Candice is harder to gauge with her only notable feat being able to shoot down a half dead Kenpachi. Robert is as you already mentioned.

The Vizards in general were ass in the Final Arc, Kubo did them real dirty lmao. Shanji was the worst offender.
Dunno if you did this on purpose or not but it works :denzimote:

H

Haoshoku

You need to make a "Rank the Sternritter" thread soon. You've got most of the feats down after this thread.
I thought you was on it already but I wouldn’t mind doing it. While most of the feats are in this thread, I have no idea atm where someone like Hachswalth goes. Is he behind Yhwach or are some of the Schutzstaffel above him? His feats aren’t as impressive as Gerard’s or even Lille’s imo.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
I thought you was on it already but I wouldn’t mind doing it. While most of the feats are in this thread, I have no idea atm where someone like Hachswalth goes. Is he behind Yhwach or are some of the Schutzstaffel above him? His feats aren’t as impressive as Gerard’s or even Lille’s imo.
I usually put him above Askin / Pernida but below Gerard and Lille. His version of the Almighty doesn't seem as broken.