• Entry 3

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Entry 4

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Entry 5

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello and welcome everyone to the voting thread of the Rewrite this plot element - WCI edition tournament! Thank you to everyone who participated and put in the time, effort and creative juices to reimagine the controversial WCI arc!

Please read each entry as it appears beneath its spoiler tag, then vote for your favourite when done.

Participants, feel free to plug your vision, but you can't ask people to vote for you :halt:

To everyone else, enjoy! There's a lot to read so I've set the poll to close in a week's time. Happy voting :brootea:

Reiju: Relax Sanji, I am sure you will be surprised by the meeting.
Sanji: I have nothing to say to him or them, they is responsible for my worst nightmares and memories. they can go and die for all I care.
Reiju: Sanji be calm, I understand this isn’t easy for you but do it for me? Okay?
Sanji: No promises…
*Niji,Ichiji and Yonji enter the room*
Niji: Hello brother, you sure have grown since we last time saw you.
Sanji: Niji… what do you want? Torment me more?
Ichiji: We were kids Sanji, kids are dumb.
Sanji: Ichiji! That is not an excuse!
Yonji: They know that.
Sanji: As if my day was not getting worse…
Ichiji: I won’t apologize for what I did, and I am sure non of us will too. You were weak and being weak isn’t the way of Germa
Sanji: And things are different now?
Niji: Yes. We can feel you are strong now. Plus your reputation proceeds you Black Leg.
Sanji: Is that why you want me to marry some woman I never met? For what? An alliance with Big Mom? She is…
Judge: Crazy, irrational, selfish, narcistic, childish and everything else that is sure going to make her break the alliance and betray us.
Sanji: You… so why the hell are you marrying me then? Haven’t I suffered enough?
Judge: We don’t want you to marry her.
Sanji: THEN WHAT?
Judge: We want you to help us kill her?
Sanji: What? *Cigar drops from his mouth*
Judge: We aren’t here to make alliances with a crazy woman like her. We are here to kill her.
Sanji: What, why?
Judge: Because we were hired to do so, by the World Government and Marines. Their bounties are our paycheck.
Sanji: You can’t be serious… so why the hell am I here for then??
Judge: We need you to kill Big Mom, or at the very least incapacitate her.
Sanji: Just how am I supposed to do that?
Ichiji: Aren’t you a chef?
Sanji: Yes?
Ichiji: That is your answer.
Sanji: You are wasting your time. I will not use food to harm people
Judge: Every weeding Big Mom holds she has a special weeding cake which she basks in with her family. Our goal is to compromise that cake with a poison or a sedative. After she and her family are weakened, we act and seize them with Sea Stone shackles
Sanji: Then why kidnap me and threaten my friends??
Judge: To make it believable, plus you wouldn't never come if it was differently.
Sanji: And you believe I will do this?
Judge: Iif you do it is non of our concern what you will go on to do after. Do you want to return to your crew? Go for it, as far as I am aware we would be doing you a favor since you did pick a fight her in Fishman Island
Sanji: Me helping you doesn't change anything...
Judge: Good

I would completely change Big Mom’s portrayal as a character (not a fighter) in WCI, shifting the focus from WEDDING CAAAAKE to her dream of creating utopia.

We’ve all read about villains whose fatal flaw is greed. More money, more slaves, more land or more influence, the villain’s insatiable greed provides a basis for us to root against the character. But this archetype is boring. We’ve seen it before, and a 70 year old grandma screaming her ass off for wedding cake is even more unrelatable than a villain who wants to be powerful or influential.

Enter Big Mom 2.0, an ultimately naïve, idealistic woman whose mental illness causes her to rampage uncontrollably when her cravings are unsatisfied. Big Mom 2.0 is entirely devoted to imitating Carmel, creating a safe space for outcasts and misfits like herself in Totland. She genuinely cares about her subjects, and uses the life tax she receives to create helpful homies for the island inhabitants. Whenever she recovers from her rampage and sees the damage she has caused, she is distraught and remorseful, ordering her children to repair the damage immediately. Big Mom 2.0 wants Germa clone technology to create an army capable of protecting Totland in hers or her children’s absence. She sees no problem with exterminating Germa due to Judge’s reputation as the commander of an evil army.

Big Mom 2.0 will still rampage and chase the Straw Hats after her cake is destroyed, but will be shown struggling to regain control of her senses the entire time. In particular, she will be torn and confused when she realises she’s killed Opera, and she will hesitate before devouring her citizen’s homes. Big Mom 2.0’s grudge against the Straw Hats will stem mainly from their destruction of the portrait (which was never spoken of or mentioned again in canon) and the fact that they sent her into a rampage, causing Opera’s death.

This version of Big Mom is meant to be a tragic villain. Not a truly evil person with a sad backstory like Doflamingo, but a woman who truly believes in Carmel’s ideals, even if the way she acts upon her ideals is flawed. Big Mom 2.0 really does put family first, and serves as a foil to her fellow Emperor Whitebeard. While Whitebeard gathers his friends’ territories under his protection, Big Mom invites people from marginalised races to live in her territory, where they can stay safe and protected. While Whitebeard treats his crew as family and is willing to forgive even the most serious transgressions against him, Big Mom’s crew is her biological family, and her condition causes her to lash out at them for petty reasons, despite the fact that she genuinely cares about them. Big Mom 2.0 is a twist on the Mad Queen archetype and avoids playing into stereotypes and old-fashioned tropes.

My rewrite for the Whole Cake arc will be based around Smoothie. I was very disappointed in how Oda handled her and felt she deserved much better, especially as she is a commander of course. Not to mention how hard he downplayed Snack another fellow commander and Compote, the eldest daughter, the most who is like Big Mom physically and thus in physical strength,who was regarded as an actual monster too.

I was really disappointed with how Oda had Smoothie struggling with the door of her own mother's castle and making it so Big Mom had to enter the treasure room and face Brook, as much as I loved Brook and Big Mom's encounter due to how Brook behaved and thus his personality, the similar natures of their DFs and that Brook is even much older than Big Mom ironically, I absolutely hated how Oda downplayed Smoothie to make this work.

I also would have had Smoothie be the one in charge of the tea party for example, she has been shown to be very social, a real socialite character even and the perfect hostess with her surprisingly resourceful and creative devil fruit to make such bizarre and unique drinks!

On that note too, I would have Smoothie be very insecure too ironically, possibly even faking her height via her devil fruit as we know she can increase her own size with it and trying to play to and thus gain favour with Big Mom's desire for gigantism and to be equal, literally face to face with giants. I would have her actually being a victim of Big Mom's rampages too, taking beatings for her siblings to protect them and having her be protective of them, especially her younger siblings in a similar manner to Katakuri.
I would also give her a fearsome wrath like her mother, when she is provoked and forgets her own insecurities due to it. She is much more dangerous when she is angry.

I would make Smoothie be a very accomplished, swift but powerful and accurate swordswoman too, posing a great threat to anyone foolish enough to challenge her. Even embedding haki into her liquid slashes to make them more lethal.I would also make her an awakened DF user and let her drain any fluids from a person specifically, including blood "liike a vampire" and have her gain various buffs depending what she "wrings out" from something or someone and drinking it.
She would be able to squeez/wring out fatigue, pain and such in a similar manner to how Kuma could push it out too.
I would also have her draining liquids from the atmosphere, the environment with her awakening, really adding to her lethality, utility and such.

Regarding her sword, I would make it a Great Grade and have it be named Anapos after the water god of Sicily in Greek Mythology. He is associated with Persephone, the Greek Goddess and Queen of the Underworld too, who was meant to marry Hades.

I would replace the Wedding Cake subplot with one centered around how Sanji saves the Baratie from the Big Mom Pirates. I would introduce a tracker that the Big Mom Pirates were using to track the Baratie, and make Sanji's goal in WCI to destroy that tracker.

After Tottoland was destroyed and Luffy sets out to fight Katakuri, Sanji also sets out to venture to an island in Tottoland where the tracker is located. When he gets there, he finds himself face to face with Big Mom’s 30th son, Charlotte Gorge. Gorge is actually a half giant who was born from one of Big Mom’s attempts to solidify an alliance with the giants, which ultimately failed. Because of this failure, Big Mom has always hated Gorge for reminding her that she wasn’t able to bring the giants to Tottoland. Gorge was abused by her and his siblings growing up and so he hates Big Mom and his family as well, and plans to only help Big Mom’s crew grow so that he can someday mutiny her as Captain and subjugate her powerful crew to become the Pirate King himself.

Big Mom allows him to serve in her crew nonetheless. Even though Gorge is only around Sanji’s age, his strength was already believed to be on par with the Sweet Commanders within WCI and he has a bounty of 513 million.

Sanji and Gorge will have a fight that highlights their opposites as characters. Gorge is a manifestation of what Sanji could have become if Sanji lost himself to hatred for Judge and his siblings. While Sanji spends his life selflessly cooking for his Straw Hat family, Gorge is an excessive eater and eats so much, that he has occasionally caused food shortages for neighboring islands in Tottoland. While Sanji is now indifferent to his Vinesmoke lineage, Gorge is so spiteful to his mother and family that he overindulges in every privilege afforded to him as a Prince of Tottoland just to deny his siblings of that pleasure and to spite his mother.

Gorge at the Return Return no Mi, a fruit that allows him to reverse time on inanimate objects that he touches. Since he is surrounded by food, he can revert food back to their original ingredients. In fights, he uses this fruit to turn steak back into raging bulls, or other foods into powerful animals that attack Sanji.

To defeat Gorge, Sanji will use techniques taught to him by Zeff that he perfected and made stronger over the timeskip. Narratively, this is symbolic of the fact that Sanji was able to avoid becoming someone like Gorge by finding his true family onboard the Baratie and in the Straw Hat crew. The subplot ends with Sanji destroying the tracker, saving the Baratie from doom by Big Mom’s hands.

After the Cake was baked and Big Mom was knocked unconcious by it’s amazing flavour, Sanji and Pudding part ways. Pudding has not only emotionally terrorized Sanji, but also others, including Reiju, the only good person alive in Sanjis family who did so much for his sake and happiness. Pudding not only wounded her, but emotionally terrorized her and altered her memory to play with her. Sanji witnessed how Pudding can switch from monster to angel instantly. He had learned how terrifying her bipolar personality is and/or what an amazing actor she really is.
Now he said one nice thing to her in the wedding ceremony and suddenly she is a trustworthy angel? I don’t think so.

So, after that little explanation on my thinking, let me mention the thing I actually wanna change:
When Pudding tries to kiss Sanji in the end, I just want Sanji to step back, maybe lightly slap her on the cheek and tell her “I worked with you to save everyone, but I cannot trust you or forgive you for the terrible things you have done.”
After that Sanji walks away and the rest proceeds just as it did in the story.

Pudding was an amazing character because of how twisted and unpredictable her obvious psychological struggle made her. But Sanji instantly forgiving all she did and acting like she is 100% trustworthy now is a no go. Working with her to save everyone is the correct decision, but even letting her touch you with her memory altering powers is a risk he should not take, let alone forgive her and kiss her.
If Sanji did what I described above, it could have changed it so that he still doesn’t wanna hurt women and treats them better than men, BUT he finally learned to be careful with them. In Wano he has proven that he learned NOTHING from Pudding as he fell into Marias trap and did everything she asked him to like a little lapdog.
WCI felt wasted to me since it was Sanjis arc but he learned nothing from the experience. He did not learn that some women should be mistrusted after he was completely emotionally terrorized by one. The arc made me lose the hope that he will ever progress in that territory so this scene is literally the one scene I would love to change most out of ALL of One Piece.

I'll rewrite WCI
Have Zoro be in WCI
Go Ashura
One shot kill Big Mom

Then we won't have Big Memes trash ass in Wano and that would make Wano go from 3/10 arc to 5/10 arc

@Tris @RayanOO @Marimo_420 @Owl Ki @solis @Ten Yaksha Blother @TheAncientCenturion @Tobi @BleakAsh @Lindltaylor @LANJI CUCKSMOKE @Dragomir @KiriNigiri @Guan Yu @Dark Admiral @Jewnicorn Fitness @Steven @Oblivion @GrandmasterChef Zonji @Jaguark101 @Luffy is the mc @Inflamed Haki @imacub @Lone Laguna Espada @mly90 @Koinboin @SHIHI @Kromage911 @hedera__helix @Reborn @BangMi @SinOfGreed @Missy @Den_Den_Mushi @AL sama @I'mTired @Gol D. Roger @Fujishiro @Udell @Rivaille @Nana @Silver @Kiwipom @Horo Horo Musume @NotTommy @Usopp Haoshoku Haki @KINGKONGGUN15 @Veku @Gari @Bounty @TheKnightOfTheSea @Zoro D Goat @Melontonin @Horo Horo Musume @Gari @Constantine @Doggo @hime @Nana @Kiwipom @Ekkologix @Fujishiro @SHIHI @SmokedOut
@Light D Lamperouge
@Red Dog
@Fuckthis3
@Akai2
@Finalbeta
@kentasaiba
@ranady
@Prince Kronos
@Amparezy
@Nana
@Sunita
@LANJI CUCKSMOKE
@Jew D. Boy
@Bogard
@Panties Hunter
@Cyrus the Cactus
@Tris
@kumae
@nik87
@Nefertari Rhea
@Monarch
@Cinera
@Shishi
@Haoshoku
@Nidai_Kitetsu
@BossYimz
@Rivaille
@Reborn
@Geo
@Buggy D Clown
@Mikail
@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung
@Thabeast
@stormylife
@MasterD
@Camie
@Monet
@Sade
@Rukusho
@playa4321
@Dragomir
@HAJIKATA
@Reddot4
@Grumpy Zoro
@Aknolagon
@Ice devil slayer
@Zoro
@zorojurou
@Foxy Bunny
@K!NG HARA$H!MA
@KiriNigiri
@RZ.119
@Greenbeard
@Queen
@Mr. Bushido
@Guymieux
@IceWitch
@Dark Hound
@RyumaZoro
@Himura
@Fenaker
@yorosenpai
@yj
@Sievas
@MarimoHeado
@Orojackson Refugee
@Gensui Sazid
@bblue
@Tamerani
@Zowo
@style
@Sword God Ryuma
@Yo Tan Wa
@Sentinel
@Kejon
@Topi Jerami
@HA001
@Zorojuro
@Patryipe
@SHIHI
@KINGKONGGUN15
@Murilo
@Owl Ki
@Blackbeard
@Gon’s Missing Arm
@silverfire
@LolonoisZolo
@Akai
@Just a member
@MarineHQ62
@Jiihad
@Shanks Joestar
@ShishioIsBack
@baboura
@mad monk
@Zenos7
@Venom
@Daisuke Jigen
@Luffy is the mc
@Enma
@Ryuma
@Scarletmoon
@MasterD
@Trueprodigy
@Dark Admiral
@Artorias
@Silver
@Boboyo
@Fiji
@Gangstalicios
@Don DaSlayer
@Natalija
@rednose
@Gol D. Roger
@Pantheos
@Van
@Jo_Ndule
@Red Admiral
@Mihawksenpai
@Albino 👑
@Rukusho
@ShadyOjiro
@Shuyaku
@King7
@Fujishiro
@Garp the Fist
@VersusPhD
@Tobi
@salam22
@İsrafil2002
@BangMi
@RayanOO
@Tekashi69420
@uyuu
@stairs-kun @Udell @ArdynIzunia

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Wow. The entries are insanely good. Hard to pick between Sanji slapping Pudding and walking away from her, Charlotte Gorge being this monstrous mirror for Sanji to gaze into or an improved Linlin.

Ultimately, I think Sanji stepping back from Pudding woulda done the most for his character over the Charlotte Gorge inclusion. The idea of the Gorge is really cool, but it wouldn't push Sanji as far as a character. And a more consistent Linlin is great for the story but I think developing Sanji, one of the main characters, is more interesting.

So a narrow win to #5 for me

G

Gorosei Informer

Thank you @Den_Den_Mushi , very interesting entries here! This one definitely feels like a tougher one to decide who to vote for but so far, I'm focusing on 4 or 5 especially.

That is a really interesting concept with no 4, with Charlotte Gorge and their DF, I like that a lot. And number 5 is really interesting, it's exactly what I hoped and expected Oda to do with Sanji and Pudding and I was massively disappointed by how he handled that. It resonates with own my criticisms of that arc and how it felt lacking on consequences especially by Wano too.

Entry 4 is probably the most creative. I’m really not a fan of any of the Charlottes, but it would have been nice to have characters among them that weren’t moustache twirling villains like Montdor and Flampe.

It’s tough, I get that Oda wanted to focus on Sanji as a cook but being a shonen manga his audience would’ve wanted Sanji to have a 1 on 1 instead.

Hello everyone, voting closes on Monday so if you haven't yet, take a look at some of the amazing entries we've received this time around and nominate your favourite :zosmug:

@Tris @RayanOO @Marimo_420 @Owl Ki @solis @Ten Yaksha Blother @TheAncientCenturion @Tobi @BleakAsh @Lindltaylor @LANJI CUCKSMOKE @Dragomir @KiriNigiri @Guan Yu @Dark Admiral @Jewnicorn Fitness @Steven @Oblivion @GrandmasterChef Zonji @Jaguark101 @Luffy is the mc @Inflamed Haki @imacub @Lone Laguna Espada @mly90 @Koinboin @SHIHI @Kromage911 @hedera__helix @Reborn @BangMi @SinOfGreed @Missy @Den_Den_Mushi @AL sama @I'mTired @Gol D. Roger @Fujishiro @Udell @Rivaille @Nana @Silver @Kiwipom @Horo Horo Musume @NotTommy @Usopp Haoshoku Haki @KINGKONGGUN15 @Veku @Gari @Bounty @TheKnightOfTheSea @Zoro D Goat @Melontonin @Horo Horo Musume @Gari @Constantine @Doggo @hime @Nana @Kiwipom @Ekkologix @Fujishiro @SHIHI @SmokedOut
@Light D Lamperouge
@Red Dog
@Fuckthis3
@Akai2
@Finalbeta
@kentasaiba
@ranady
@Prince Kronos
@Amparezy
@Nana
@Sunita
@LANJI CUCKSMOKE
@Jew D. Boy
@Bogard
@Panties Hunter
@Cyrus the Cactus
@Tris
@kumae
@nik87
@Nefertari Rhea
@Monarch
@Cinera
@Shishi
@Haoshoku
@Nidai_Kitetsu
@BossYimz
@Rivaille
@Reborn
@Geo
@Buggy D Clown
@Mikail
@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung
@Thabeast
@stormylife
@MasterD
@Camie
@Monet
@Sade
@Rukusho
@playa4321
@Dragomir
@HAJIKATA
@Reddot4
@Grumpy Zoro
@Aknolagon
@Ice devil slayer
@Zoro
@zorojurou
@Foxy Bunny
@K!NG HARA$H!MA
@KiriNigiri
@RZ.119
@Greenbeard
@Queen
@Mr. Bushido
@Guymieux
@IceWitch
@Dark Hound
@RyumaZoro
@Himura
@Fenaker
@yorosenpai
@yj
@Sievas
@MarimoHeado
@Orojackson Refugee
@Gensui Sazid
@bblue
@Tamerani
@Zowo
@style
@Sword God Ryuma
@Yo Tan Wa
@Sentinel
@Kejon
@Topi Jerami
@HA001
@Zorojuro
@Patryipe
@SHIHI
@KINGKONGGUN15
@Murilo
@Owl Ki
@Blackbeard
@Gon’s Missing Arm
@silverfire
@LolonoisZolo
@Akai
@Just a member
@MarineHQ62
@Jiihad
@Shanks Joestar
@ShishioIsBack
@baboura
@mad monk
@Zenos7
@Venom
@Daisuke Jigen
@Luffy is the mc
@Enma
@Ryuma
@Scarletmoon
@MasterD
@Trueprodigy
@Dark Admiral
@Artorias
@Silver
@Boboyo
@Fiji
@Gangstalicios
@Don DaSlayer
@Natalija
@rednose
@Gol D. Roger
@Pantheos
@Van
@Jo_Ndule
@Red Admiral
@Mihawksenpai
@Albino 👑
@Rukusho
@ShadyOjiro
@Shuyaku
@King7
@Fujishiro
@Garp the Fist
@VersusPhD
@Tobi
@salam22
@İsrafil2002
@BangMi
@RayanOO
@Tekashi69420
@uyuu
@stairs-kun @Udell @ArdynIzunia

I like number 2 and 4 the most since the two has potential to divert the course of an arc regarding it's main villain or the reasonable fate of Baratie people.

I felt the number 2 is a little bit doubtful because despite BM having regrets, there's no meaningful follow-up from her as the payoff. In the number 4 the plot device is provided (tracker) and the opponent is also a good mirror-image. I vote number 4, Sanji's Baratie Rescue!

I like number 2 and 4 the most since the two has potential to divert the course of an arc regarding it's main villain or the reasonable fate of Baratie people.

I felt the number 2 is a little bit doubtful because despite BM having regrets, there's no meaningful follow-up from her as the payoff. In the number 4 the plot device is provided (tracker) and the opponent is also a good mirror-image. I vote number 4, Sanji's Baratie Rescue!
I think 2 is more of a change in portrayal rather than having anything in particular come of it. There’s a difference between changing how story events happen and changing how they’re portrayed to either the characters themselves or the audience.

Take Luffy escaping Impel Down for example. Had to happen as part of plot, but he’s never portrayed as being in the wrong for releasing murderers, rapists and the likes of Crocodile. It’s just… glossed over by the story. Kind of like the Carmel thing, it was mentioned once or twice and Carmel fell off the face of the earth as a motivation for Meme.

Alright people the votes are in and the winner is...

Entry #5 by @ArdynIzunia !

Congrats on your win, and for writing a simple but realistic fix for Sanji and Pudding's relationship. I'm sure a lot of us readers would like him to find a genuine connection with a woman, particularly in a romantic context. Here's hoping for more calm and maturity the next time these star-crossed lovers meet :shocking:

To everyone else, thanks for voting and participating! I'll post a thread once I've finished writing the winner's request in about a week or so and tag everyone again.

@Tris @RayanOO @Marimo_420 @Owl Ki @solis @Ten Yaksha Blother @TheAncientCenturion @Tobi @BleakAsh @Lindltaylor @LANJI CUCKSMOKE @Dragomir @KiriNigiri @Guan Yu @Dark Admiral @Jew D. Boy @Steven @Oblivion @GrandmasterChef Zonji @Jaguark101 @Luffy is the mc @Inflamed Haki @imacub @Lone Laguna Espada @mly90 @Koinboin @SHIHI @Kromage911 @hedera__helix @Reborn @BangMi @SinOfGreed @Missy @Den_Den_Mushi @AL sama @I'mTired @Gol D. Roger @Fujishiro @Udell @Rivaille @Nana @Silver @Kiwipom @Horo Horo Musume @NotTommy @Usopp Haoshoku Haki @KINGKONGGUN15 @Veku @Gari @Bounty @TheKnightOfTheSea @Zoro D Goat @Melontonin @Horo Horo Musume @Gari @Constantine @Doggo @hime @Nana @Kiwipom @Ekkologix @Fujishiro @SHIHI @SmokedOut
@Light D Lamperouge
@Red Dog
@Fuckthis3
@Akai2
@Finalbeta
@kentasaiba
@ranady
@Prince Kronos
@Amparezy
@Nana
@Sunita
@LANJI CUCKSMOKE