Questions & Mysteries Sabo vs Shanks: Father of Makino's child.

WHO DA FATHAA?!

• Flame Emperor Sabo

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Emperor Shanks

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
So ole girl Makino had a beybey over the timeskip. The question is who's the father? The commonly accepted theory is that it's likely going to be Shanks . The primary belief of this Shanks theory stemmed from this below:

When asked to Oda about who the father of the child was.. he said "that person", but that person could be anybody. There's also the fact that unlike when he visited East Blue before, he can't do that so casually now as Marines keep a watch on his movements, as he's a Yonko. On top of that Garp went back to East Blue to chill out there until things calmed down.
--------

However, there's another candidate that many have overlooked, Sabo. You see marriage plays a huge role in Sabo's backstory. His parents were preparing Sabo and forcing him to study and become successful so he could marry into the Royal Family, all of the pressure they were putting on him was centered around marrying him to a daughter of the royal family.

Something that'd then comeback to play a role in the story again with Stelly now being married to a daughter of the Royal family and becoming King of Goa Kingdom:

So what would be fitting of Sabo's character where he's revolted against his family's expectations? Marrying a commoner of the Kingdom, which would be Makino. We know Makino now wears a ring in the finger where wedding rings are usually worn. We also have never seen Sabo's hands without the gloves to know if he's wearing a wedding ring or not. However, there is what I find to be implied evidence in the manga for Sabo getting together Makino.

1st. Lil bandit homie can be seen rocking Sabo's hat, and this is also when Makino's ring is revealed to us. This is the first time we know that Dandan and them might know Sabo is alive. However, one can argue that this is because they had found out Sabo is alive due to the events at Dressrosa, since his 600 mil bounty is related to it.

2nd. Sabo once he got his memories back visited Ace's grave to pay his homage. The revolutionary army operates all over the world, with Dragon traveling across the various seas, as seen when he came to the east blue pre-TS. They also have a giant ass army there led by Bello Betty. And it's unfathomable that in the two years he didn't go to East Blue, when his role is the guy who Dragon sends out on various missions. And during his visit to East Blue over the timeskip, it would be even more unfathomable that he didn't visit Goa Kingdom after getting his memories back, to check in on Dandan and co who played a critical part in his childhood. Even Makino:

3rd. Didn't pay attention to this one until it was brought up in a post I read on reddit, but Makino's reaction to the news about Sabo. What's interesting about this reaction now is the fact that we know it's not about death of Sabo but about what Sabo is framed to have done, which goes against the type of guy that Sabo is. And she closed off the entire bar for that, Oda rather giving her a group reaction made her secluded with not just her... but also the baby. And what's interesting is what the baby says, "Dah Dah!"

For any that might point out the age difference between them, Makino is 31, Sabo is 22. It's a 9 year age difference which isn't wild at all, even by our real life standards let alone one piece. (recall upon Luffy-Boa, which is a bigger age gap)

I think Sabo is the best candidate to be the husband of Makino and the father to her child. Surely not a mere coincidence that Sabo regained his memories just before the timeskip start (in-verse wise) and then somebody who Sabo knew just happened to have a child over the timeskip.. HMMM.... But most importantly I believe the whole marriage with Makino would fit in perfectly with his character's theme of defying aristocrat background by becoming married to a common girl, who by his family would be looked upon as trash/filth/inferior. This would be a contrast to Stelly marrying the queen.

But anywho y'all share your opinions!!

Last edited:
I made a thread about this 2 years ago I guess.

Garp is the father of Makino's children.

After Marineford, Garp goes to Foosha Village and get beat up by Dandan. Makino's shows up to protect him. Then Garp stays and protects the village on his own. 2 years later Makino has a kid.

Garp hair is white because he is old. Could be green like Makino's kid(Or it is black?).

By genetics, if Shanks were the father is much more likely for this children to have Red Hair too. And if Sabo were the father, then we can't know since Makino's dark green hair would be more likely to be transfer to their children.

But if Garp had black hair, and Makino's kid is also black then this is a good indication that Garp is the father.

I made a thread about this 2 years ago I guess.

Garp is the father of Makino's children.

After Marineford, Garp goes to Foosha Village and get beat up by Dandan. Makino's shows up to protect him. Then Garp stays and protects the village on his own. 2 years later Makino has a kid.

Garp hair is white because he is old. Could be green like Makino's kid(Or it is black?).

By genetics, if Shanks were the father is much more likely for this children to have Red Hair too. And if Sabo were the father, then we can't know since Makino's dark green hair would be more likely to be transfer to their children.

But if Garp had black hair, and Makino's kid is also black then this is a good indication that Garp is the father.

I'm specifically talking about Makino and ASL dynamic
Right, but you're equating the whole of ASL together as one entity. Ace & Luffy grew into their teens knowing Makino and conversing with her.

Sabo at best knew her for few month after he started living with Ace & Luffy (which was for few months, and in that probably met few times at best). You don't believe assuming Sabo viewed her as a big sister is a reach?

K!NG HARA$H!MA

Lower than trash
Right, but you're equating the whole of ASL together as one entity. Ace & Luffy grew into their teens knowing Makino and conversing with her.

Sabo at best knew her for few month after he started living with Ace & Luffy (which was for few months, and in that probably met few times at best). You don't believe assuming Sabo viewed her as a big sister is a reach?
Sabo work in a way that everything related to Ace is related to him.

Makino's is like Ace big sister? The she's mine too. That's Sabo mentality