General & Others Sea Battles are dead and gone... so says Oda

Are sea battles a waste of time?

• Yes

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Of course

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
Not sure how that comment insinuates "dead and gone" lol so dramatic
Oda is saying he can't do sea battles at the current power levels in the story. So unless the power levels are going to go down then it's dead and gone

This is similar to the Naruto problem where the series began with people using actual ninjutsu and tactics in fights and later at a certain power level these things stopped mattering and power is all that mattered.

At least for one piece there wasn't that much focus on sea battles to begin with so it's not that bad

Can't say I really care tbh. Like he said himself his characters are too strong for that and the few examples we had always made some characters look bad or stupid.

So he can stick to land battles. That's where the feats matter and where you solve problems.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
As someone that wanted the ships to be taking down in sea battles, this is disappointing, but ultimately just have to accept. Can't really have ship to ship combat and mountain busters at the same time. Not unless you make every ship as special as the Sunny, and that would have its own problems.

Ah well. Maybe Blackbeard's flagship could provide it.

Oda is saying he can't do sea battles at the current power levels in the story. So unless the power levels are going to go down then it's dead and gone

This is similar to the Naruto problem where the series began with people using actual ninjutsu and tactics in fights and later at a certain power level these things stopped mattering and power is all that mattered.

At least for one piece there wasn't that much focus on sea battles to begin with so it's not that bad
He literally does not say he "Cant". He says its "tough" because he has to be innovative about it.

Again, dramatic.

And just to prove my point:

One Piece Magazine 2 from SandmanAP: "
"There are ton of new characters I want to draw in Wano arc. Characters in ONE PIECE fight mostly on land despite them being pirates.
I'd like to draw some event scenes on the sea which reminds us that they are pirates. Maybe I'll change my mind, though (laugh)"

As of last chapter, he hasn't changed his mind.

Last edited:
People always say that sea battles are useless, because the people on the ships are always stronger than the cannons.

But a lot of the times the people standing on the ships are devil fruit users, not to mention that ships are the main mode of transport for everyone.

Protecting their own ship and sinking enemy ships are still important. The truth of the fact is that sea battles are only guaranteed for weaklings, as they don't have anything stronger at their disposal, like common pirates and marine scrubs.

Msybe this could've happened if One Piece was a more realistic series and not Shounen.

One Piece Magazine 2 from SandmanAP: "
"There are ton of new characters I want to draw in Wano arc. Characters in ONE PIECE fight mostly on land despite them being pirates.
I'd like to draw some event scenes on the sea which reminds us that they are pirates. Maybe I'll change my mind, though (laugh)"

As of last chapter, he hasn't changed his mind.
This comment came out around the start of the "WEEEEDDDDIIIIINNNGGGG CAAAAKKKKEEE" Business right?

Then 20 chapters of "sea battles" passed right? Anha? Were those good "sea battles"? Those were 20 chapters of "sea battles" and what did they consist of? Big mom makes a tsumani and Jinbei surfs it with the ship. Smoothie uses water cuts to try and cut the ship, then she remembers she's useless and stop. Then Daifuku tries something and Carrot demolishes him. Lastly the Queen Mama chanter TELEPORTS to next to the strawhats and "blows them up"

Is this you sea battle? After 20 chapters? Is this Oda trying to fix the problem of single characters being more effective than entire ship?

This comment came out around the start of the "WEEEEDDDDIIIIINNNGGGG CAAAAKKKKEEE" Business right?

Then 20 chapters of "sea battles" passed right? Anha? Were those good "sea battles"? Those were 20 chapters of "sea battles" and what did they consist of? Big mom makes a tsumani and Jinbei surfs it with the ship. Smoothie uses water cuts to try and cut the ship, then she remembers she's useless and stop. Then Daifuku tries something and Carrot demolishes him. Lastly the Queen Mama chanter TELEPORTS to next to the strawhats and "blows them up"

Is this you sea battle? After 20 chapters? Is this Oda trying to fix the problem of single characters being more effective than entire ship?
I mean, he specifically relates it to Wano, but I honestly though the sea battles in WCI where genuinely good, with an entire force trying to take down one ship and all.

Hopefully we get 2 forces fighting on water. Thats what people want this arc.

I guarantee there would have been way more naval battles in the series if devil fruits didn't have the sea water weakness which not only decreased sea battles but also a huge portion of sea creatures for the Zoan devil fruits

Exactly

Naval battle are ONLY GOOD if abilities were incorporated into this battle

For example... let's assume Law can make a BIG MANUVER by shambling TWO SHIPS where his ship is about to get hit... by another... but he switches between his ship and this other enemy ship

or someone like Brandy World from 3d2y movie... where he can maximize the size of the cannon

or Luffy using awakening on Sunny ship and make it repel a cannon

and so on... this is the ONLY WAY sea battle can be of good use and fun ONCE AGAIN with the kinds of powers we got

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern
imo it would be a great variation, and remembering pirates of the carribean movies (1-3), the sea battles are imo always the exciting highlight of those movies
It will be cool to see like you said but there's literally big shots that could one shot the ships and it will pretty much ruin the naval battle theme. So it's a waste of panel either way lol:kayneshrug:

I liked that throughout the series they encountered different ships and forces on the sea, for example Wapols people who boarded their ship, when they tried canons and hit Yosaku and Johnny, or when they escaped Garp canon balls with the Sunny.

There was a bit of actual battle in Totland and now in Wano. I think that is more than enough. The manga never really focused on it but it at least showed those situations. I am always open for more but it's not really necessary :D