Theory Shanks and Mihawk had an alliance and defeated a Yonku

Before Blackbeard we had Whitebeard,Big Mam,Kaido and Shanks as Yonku. If you think about it only Shanks was from the Great Pírate era. The other 3 were in the same era with Roger. It's safe to assume that Shanks was the newest yonku... The question is how Shanks became a yonku? The answer is that he beat a previous Yonku.. Did Roger's apprentice beat him alone? Of course not. The "more safe" way for a supernova to defeat a yonku is to make an alliance. We see how Wano will end. The 3 captains will take the thrones from Kaido and Linlin after their alliance.
To sum up if Shanks defeated a Yonku with alliance the best candidate would be Mihawk. Even though they fought each other before, they are like buddies. Mihawk easily knew where Shanks was to inform him about the miraculous kid(Luffy)Shanks talked about BEFORE . (Another one chat between these two which we don't fully know)They drank each other. At Marineford Mihawk refused to fight Akagami.. All of these events clearly show us that they are not simply respectful enemies but buddies who spent much time each other. My bet is that they formed an alliance and beat a previous yonku. After their win , they fought each other just like what will happen against Luffy and Kidd(or Law)..

I mean is it necessary to have to defeat the current emperor to become one though? I thought the whole idea of being an emperor is to be 1.) powerful and 2.) have a strong enough crew to compete against #1-3 but be stronger than the 5th strongest crew.

So if say positions #1-3 crews suddenly get erased from the One Piece world, then positions #5,6,7 crews (and the previous #4 now likely becoming #1) are automatically labeled as emperors.

@Sanji D Goat This is the list of Rocks Pirates.
One Piece: All Known Members Of The Rocks Pirates, Ranked By...
  • 8 Ochoku.
  • 7 Silver Axe.
  • 6 Captain John.
  • 5 Kaido.
  • 4 Shiki.
  • 3 Charlotte Linlin.
  • 2 Edward Newgate.
  • 1 Rocks D. Xebec.
From Rocks Pirates we have 3 candidates. Ochoku(Wang Zhi), Silver Axe and Captain John..
(Shiki was imprisoned)
These 3 were mentioned as very powerful. We know only few details about them but I don't think Oda mentioned them for nothing. About Captain John we know that he had a big treasure.. Is it a hint that he had wealth fame and power like a yonku? Also about Ochoku I don't know Japanese but I think his first O means King.. Could he have Conqueror haki just like other Kings?
We will see. Also for me it will be cool if Oda somehow introduce an unknown yonku level character..

@VersusPhD It's only a theory mate. Of course it's not the only possibility to become yonku by defeating a yonku. But IT IS a possibility. If you think about Roger.. his worst enemy was Rocks. Rocks was like a yonku who had underlings WB,Linlin and Kaido. After this event , he fought pírates of his era just like WB and at the end he fought Shiki and became the pírate King.. I think the same we will have among Luffy,Law, Kidd..

Shanks took down a ex-Rock for sure

but he had Ben at his side ... and he had to prove himself to be a Yonko so I doubt Mihawk helped him in this war

Shanks + Mihawk + Ben can fuck up and rape anyone in the verse ... it's far too easy of a battel

p.s
Shanks and Mihawk WILL join force to defeat Teach or ... Dragon
at some point

if Shanks end up evil ...
I know Admirals fans HATE the idea of anyone other than Imu or Akainu lead the battel against final alliance
but Shanks fighting for order Vs Dragon fighting for freedom
is poetic level knowing both side have a strong mortal argument and Luffy ... he has to fight vs the man who he love above all

if people think about this plot line its fucking perfect
not to mention , Luffy Vs Shanks , Zoro Vs Mihawk , Dragon Vs Akainu all can happen at once

fathers Vs sons
old Vs new
order Vs necessary change
family Vs duty

all of this ideas can shine the best if this battel happens

I'm ready to be insulted :)
you think I'm just saying this to hype Shanks
but to me this plot is just ... the darkest timeline, some thing that can hit us hardest ... therefore best