Future Events Smoker, The Future Straw Hat

Do you believe this theory?

• Total voters
Before you click off this thread from just the title-let me just say that I think most future Straw Hat discussions are complete shit.

Carrot joining the Straw Hats?

OTama joining the Straw Hats?

Yamato joining the Straw Hats?

Joking aside if you happen to believe any of the above, I’m not trying to insult you, and I’m not here to throw any of those theories out of the window, minus the Tama theories.

The point of me saying this is that I’m not one of those people who thinks every new character we meet will be a straw hat, in fact after Jinbe I really didn’t think we would get any new Straw Hats and I thought the crew was virtually complete.

That is, until I watched this video:

I’m not a huge fan of Mr. Morj, but I actually think he absolutely nailed this idea, and he absolutely convinced me that Smoker’s ultimate destination was to join the Straw Hat crew. He really does deserve the credit for this theory and this isn’t something I’ve seen anyone else really talk about.

The only things I want to add to Morj’s video, is that upon reflection, Smoker’s character arc has been specifically written so far to pull him away from the World Government and the Marines, and I believe that in retrospect, the entire point of Smoker’s character has been for Oda to show us a hardcore Marine who ultimately becomes one of the main cast of characters and becomes a Pirate himself.

Just to briefly illustrate how Oda is pulling Smoker away from the WG and shattering his world view:

-Smoker begins the manga as a Marine who believes Pirates are evil and does his job to capture them. When we meet Smoker, he had never let any Pirates successfully go from Loguetown to the Grand Line and almost captured Luffy himself.
-In Alabasta, Smoker’s worldview is doubly shattered by Luffy ordering Zoro to save Smoker from drowning, and from Smoker telling the Gorosei to eat shit
-In Punk Hazard, Smoker actually teams up with Pirates, to himself fight the shadiest Marine in the entire Manga and a Marine who was fundamentally designed to attack Smoker’s own view on what a Marine should be
-In the end, Aokiji specifically tells Smoker about how things became much more clear to him after he left the Navy, and Smoker’s own Marines actually end up liking Law and the Straw Hats after their alliance lol.

There honestly is not much left for Smoker to transition into the Straw Hat crew, and Morj details that well.

The only other thing I want to say, is all theories for Smoker that put him as a Marine EOS are extremely unlikely.

An EOS Admiral or Fleet Admiral? Honestly will the Marines even exist anymore at EOS? Not that Smoker has ever expressed any interest in such a role anyway. And Smoker is surely not Luffy’s Garp.

Nah man. I’m a believer now. Smoker will be a Straw Hat in the end.

@Owl Ki @Den_Den_Mushi @dizzy2341 @Light D Lamperouge @Luthon @Van @Bogard @Garp the Fist @playa4321 @Sentinel @RayanOO @HA001 etc etc etc.
Smoker now leads G-5 which is going to become a huge plotline going forward as it's a big base with a lot of clout and leverage, vital for Doffy's masterplan that Vergo became the head of said base. He won't join for said reason

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
No!
Smoker will be an ally for the SH
Luffy-Smoker
Zoro-Tashigi
Yes I really believe that's probably the case.

The times Smoker tries to capture Luffy are getting boring. It might still happen but if Issho will switch side eventually there could be a Domino effect taking place. At least for the duration of that war.

Sorry but Greenbull as next nakama is already confirmed. A rebellious spirit and great personality. He just need a change of heart regarding Akainu, and he's the perfect Strawhat Taskmaster

:smart:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I always liked Morj's theory of Smoker joining the strowhats, especially with the sword plotline going around. But I'm not sure that Oda will do that...
I think Smoker becoming a Pirate has been heavily foreshadowed for years now, and I think a hardcore ex Marine would be the perfect fit for an EOS Straw Hat. If Oda does this then honestly I think Smoker would pretty inarguably be the most well written character in the whole series.

It's more likely than Carrot.

It would be like Zuko joining Team Avatar.

Smoker or Aokiji will join the Strawhats it would be a good twist, it would make a lot of people react.

It would be the final showcase of Luffy's strongest power of making everyone around him his ally.

Even the marines want to join Luffy. A pirate is more righteous than the government they fight for.

A marine/ex-marine joining Luffy would be the biggest example of that.

Ship: Jinbe
Girl: Yamato
Monster: Aokiji
Perv: Momo

Ship: Jinbe
Girl: Yamato
Perv: Aokiji
Monster: Smoker

Last edited:
I feel like Aokiji(if he's not in SWORD), Drake and Fujitora have already shown us some alternative paths to justice that doesn't align with the goverment, Smoker doesn't have to specifically join Luffy's crew to follow his justice
And besides i feel like it's rather late for new crew members (I assume Tashigi would have to join with him) now that we're about to enter the final saga.

I think Smoker becoming a Pirate has been heavily foreshadowed for years now, and I think a hardcore ex Marine would be the perfect fit for an EOS Straw Hat. If Oda does this then honestly I think Smoker would pretty inarguably be the most well written character in the whole series.
I don't know dude.
:kayneshrug:
I get it that there are plot points leading to that, but Oda is not that good. Oda never invests in characters that much, he usually uses them as fanservice material. I like the idea, but look at Kid, Hawkins, Uruge etc. Characters that could have played a big role in the story, but look at them now. Or what about Bonney!? When she first appeared everyone was like "oh my god, she has Meme's ship, she has her lipstick, she has her personality, is one of the WG members Meme's daughter?" Turns out not! And then Oda drops Akainu's comments about her, and then we found out she has connection with Kuma. So what now? Nothing! Then Katakuri, people were (and some still are) going crazy about Katakuri, there were so many theories "is Katakuri going to be Luffy's rival? Will he become an Emperor after Meme falls?" In reality nothing. Do you get what I'm saying? Oda has never, in the entire story of one piece, ever invested in a character that isn't part of the strowhats, and even in the strowhats he only cares about Zoro and Luffy, the rest are ether ignored for decades or outright used and humiliated. I just don't view Oda as a guy who would do that, he's not that guy.

Now we have Greenbull, and people think that he's gonna be serious and tough on the strowhats, these people are just setting themselves to a huge disappointment–Oda is not that guy.