Speculations So...What (Oda) Do Now?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
We’re all here on WG because, to varying degrees and for better or for worse, we love One Piece. This massive epic has enthralled some of us for years, some for decades; we’ve spent countless hours arguing and (less frequently) agreeing with each other about power levels, plot points, and pirate supremacy; we have the manga, the anime, the databooks, the movies, and a plethora of other sources that fuel our speculation and keep us plugged all the way into one of the greatest stories ever told.

So what happens once One Piece ends?

I know what it means for us - plenty of users on this site are gonna become shells of themselves (or just me) - but I’m curious what you think this means for the man who’s spun this tale for us. Does Oda retire, knowing he created a manga that transcends so many cultural borders? Does he expand the universe with mangaka-sanctioned spinoffs and more supplemental information? Does he start a new series to exorcise whatever metaphysical demons may remain in his soul? What do you see him doing in the post-OP reality we’ll find ourselves in all too soon?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Hope to God he moves on from One Piece totally.

I do not want One Piece Super GT starring the Cursed Child Nuffy
I definitely don’t want that shit either...might be cool for Oda to pull a JK Rowling and just periodically throw out a piece of canon information, as long as he doesn’t go overboard like she did and totally render half of the stuff in his story invalid.

Last edited:
There will be a One Piece version of HxH/Dragon Ball Kai, would not surprised if he gets a producer credit, only serving as consultant from time to time.

I think he will do a Toriyama and semi retire for a few years (he will be over 50 when OP ends, best age to retire really), but he might do one or two really short stories, using the ideas he was not able to incorporate in One Piece.

But not on a weekly pace, meaning he might draw an entire story over a year slowly and WSJ then publishes it.

So nothing major.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Didn't Oda say that he wanted to do a mecha manga once OP was done?

Kishimoto is back, Kubo wants to be back too. So, Oda won't permanently retire, that's for sure.
We've actually got some news about this recently. Well, the interview is from 2013, but it's only been translated now.

http://forums.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=42229&p=4028760&viewfull=1#post4028760

The Mecha Manga might be something he still wants to do, but it might also be something he's throwing into One Piece. Wouldn't surprise me much if Germa, General Franky and Vegapunk's Weapons are all things that he had in his head for the Mecha Manga

Oda created One Piece.
With One Piece we made and will continue to make Movies.
So 1, Oda will have to spend time having a word in the future movies.
With One Piece there is serie of Spin Off starting.
"Classic Charismatic heroes" like Ace, Sabo, Shanks / James Potter / ( Gildarts ) ,( Mihawk, Byakuya Kuchiki / Hanzo of the Salamander ) , Law / Shikamaru, Zoro, ( Kidd / Bakugou / ( Kind of Renji ) / Grimmjow / ( kind of Bazz B ) ) will have Spins Off.
Oda will have to contribute to the scenario.
With One Piece we make Video Games.
Oda will have to contribute to thoses too.

I can see Oda make the reverse of Akira Toriyama.
-> Akira Toriyama did Dr. Slump ( gag manga, sorry for the orthographe ) then the shonen Dragon Ball.
-> Oda could make a Mecha / gag-manga now.

But seeing the last chapters. He can't wait to just end One Piece.
He makes his best but the fights are Off-Paneled now.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Oda created One Piece.
With One Piece we made and will continue to make Movies.
So 1, Oda will have to spend time having a word in the future movies.
With One Piece there is serie of Spin Off starting.
"Classic Charismatic heroes" like Ace, Sabo, Shanks / James Potter / ( Gildarts ) ,( Mihawk, Byakuya Kuchiki / Hanzo of the Salamander ) , Law / Shikamaru, Zoro, ( Kidd / Bakugou / ( Kind of Renji ) / Grimmjow / ( kind of Bazz B ) ) will have Spins Off.
Oda will have to contribute to the scenario.
With One Piece we make Video Games.
Oda will have to contribute to thoses too.

I can see Oda make the reverse of Akira Toriyama.
-> Akira Toriyama did Dr. Slump ( gag manga, sorry for the orthographe ) then the shonen Dragon Ball.
-> Oda could make a Mecha / gag-manga now.

But seeing the last chapters. He can't wait to just end One Piece.
He makes his best but the fights are Off-Paneled now.
Spinoff movies would be cool, Oda can take a more hands off approach (while still sprinkling shit like the Laugh Tale reveal in for good measure) and we would get fun stories that don’t necessarily alter the canon but satisfy our insatiable desire for OP content. I didn’t even think about video games, that’s another avenue through which this series can live on!

Okay.

I thinked about One Piece chapters a little and here is how I deliberated on the situation.

One Piece until the Time Skip was mid tier for me :

Straw Hats arrive on a new land.
Weird tension because of a strong bad guy.
A false enemy future ally ( Wyper / Franky ).
Secret, Discovery odf the secret,
Each Straw Hat fight someone
Luffy prove Determination is the best.
Win because of determination, friends and hope.
New Straw Hat.
Next island.

I wasn't that much into One Piece.

The sea train was good
Luffy and co able to face CP9 made no sense
Impel Down was good
Marineford was super disappointing because nobody had a proper fight ( only Whiteabeard vs Akainu ) :
-> 6 Admirals level ( Akainu, Aokiji, Kizaru , Garp, Sengoku and Mihawk )
Only Akainu seems to move a little 30 % of what he should have done. None of the rest made anything over 10% of what they could have done ( okay Kizaru did 15% by sending Laserbeams on Luffy )
-> Whiteabeard was by far the more disappointing. He could have debarked from his boat alone and destroy Marineford in 2 - 3 serious hits then call his army but no. The guy didn't move at all while being everybody target.
Been betrayed. Did a heart stroke. Lose a good quarter of his head in on hit.
Whitebeard didn't run, jump dodge, block. He just stayed here like a big statue. For what he did a better strategy would have been to naturally walk until Ace. He would have died too but he would has been more of a threat.

Then came Sabaody ( yes, before Impel Down and Marineford but anyway ) and the most shocking moment of One Piece or one of the 3 most.

Luffy lost everybody on his crew by Kuma. Kuma would have been an oponent. Everybody would be dead. What a twist.

Post - Time skip has been far better.

No more stand alone Arc but everything is a part of a whole.
Better designs.
Better Power Up.
Better background stroy of the new place.
Better secondary character.
But it seem a lot more chapters by Arc.
A lot more works.

Whole Cake Island Arc is my favorite I think.
But since the end of it and Big Mom chasing Straw Hats inefficiently it makes no sense.

Oda seems to be really tired.
There still a lot of amazing things in One Piece and the story seems more complex than the ever but we see that Oda skips fights when he can.

Katakuri vs Luffy was for me the fight with the more work behind Dofflamingo one and one of the best fight overall. But at this rate it could be the last one before a Luffy vs Akainu or a Luffy vs Blackbeard and everything until this will be either a few panels long or Off Paneled.

The best would be, in my opinion, for Oda to work 70 % of what he does today ( maximum, still really a lot ) and just give directions to assistants ( 30% of the 70% ) while he makes the best panels and work on the lat Arcs in advance by making the dratfs of the last fights and key moments.

No 5 years end but a 8 years end. And Oda has ended most of HIS work in the next 3 years. He still there working 20-30 % of what he does today the 5 following years. Oda needs rest. A year vacation in Europe or actually sailing on a Japan sea.

But I think Oda needs to give his work to assistant to help him.

😳

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Okay.

I thinked about One Piece chapters a little and here is how I deliberated on the situation.

One Piece until the Time Skip was mid tier for me :

Straw Hats arrive on a new land.
Weird tension because of a strong bad guy.
A false enemy future ally ( Wyper / Franky ).
Secret, Discovery odf the secret,
Each Straw Hat fight someone
Luffy prove Determination is the best.
Win because of determination, friends and hope.
New Straw Hat.
Next island.

I wasn't that much into One Piece.

The sea train was good
Luffy and co able to face CP9 made no sense
Impel Down was good
Marineford was super disappointing because nobody had a proper fight ( only Whiteabeard vs Akainu ) :
-> 6 Admirals level ( Akainu, Aokiji, Kizaru , Garp, Sengoku and Mihawk )
Only Akainu seems to move a little 30 % of what he should have done. None of the rest made anything over 10% of what they could have done ( okay Kizaru did 15% by sending Laserbeams on Luffy )
-> Whiteabeard was by far the more disappointing. He could have debarked from his boat alone and destroy Marineford in 2 - 3 serious hits then call his army but no. The guy didn't move at all while being everybody target.
Been betrayed. Did a heart stroke. Lose a good quarter of his head in on hit.
Whitebeard didn't run, jump dodge, block. He just stayed here like a big statue. For what he did a better strategy would have been to naturally walk until Ace. He would have died too but he would has been more of a threat.

Then came Sabaody ( yes, before Impel Down and Marineford but anyway ) and the most shocking moment of One Piece or one of the 3 most.

Luffy lost everybody on his crew by Kuma. Kuma would have been an oponent. Everybody would be dead. What a twist.

Post - Time skip has been far better.

No more stand alone Arc but everything is a part of a whole.
Better designs.
Better Power Up.
Better background stroy of the new place.
Better secondary character.
But it seem a lot more chapters by Arc.
A lot more works.

Whole Cake Island Arc is my favorite I think.
But since the end of it and Big Mom chasing Straw Hats inefficiently it makes no sense.

Oda seems to be really tired.
There still a lot of amazing things in One Piece and the story seems more complex than the ever but we see that Oda skips fights when he can.

Katakuri vs Luffy was for me the fight with the more work behind Dofflamingo one and one of the best fight overall. But at this rate it could be the last one before a Luffy vs Akainu or a Luffy vs Blackbeard and everything until this will be either a few panels long or Off Paneled.

The best would be, in my opinion, for Oda to work 70 % of what he does today ( maximum, still really a lot ) and just give directions to assistants ( 30% of the 70% ) while he makes the best panels and work on the lat Arcs in advance by making the dratfs of the last fights and key moments.

No 5 years end but a 8 years end. And Oda has ended most of HIS work in the next 3 years. He still there working 20-30 % of what he does today the 5 following years. Oda needs rest. A year vacation in Europe or actually sailing on a Japan sea.

But I think Oda needs to give his work to assistant to help him.

😳
Man, I suggested this elsewhere on the forum and got completely fucking crushed for saying it...kinda makes sense, though; he can just give the outline we all know he has over to his assistants and let them supplement what he doesn’t have the energy to do. I’d much rather get One Piece as he crafted it with a slightly different style than before than him keep complete control to the clear detriment of the story/fights.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Wasn't there talk about Oda wanting to do science fiction? Might've been Hori or another Manga author I loosely follow, but I feel like it's him. Anyways, if he does anything, I'd want more on the Middle Gen. Shichibukai action, the rise of the Yonkou system, et cetera. But I get the feeling he could just go the Kishimoto route, let some other artist draw One Piece spinoffs set after the main series and supervise that and non-canon movies.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Wasn't there talk about Oda wanting to do science fiction? Might've been Hori or another Manga author I loosely follow, but I feel like it's him. Anyways, if he does anything, I'd want more on the Middle Gen. Shichibukai action, the rise of the Yonkou system, et cetera. But I get the feeling he could just go the Kishimoto route, let some other artist draw One Piece spinoffs set after the main series and supervise that and non-canon movies.
I think it's Kishimoto and Samurai 8 you're thinking of. Iirc when Naruto ended Kishi had an interview saying his next series would be sci-fi

One Piece ending isn't a big loss. I rather a series end on a high note then continue into mediocrity. Oda been a genius at keeping the story fantastically held together for these two decades. He'll probably try something new afterwards.

Anime-wise, One Piece is too big to end completely, but I don't think there's going to be a spinoff unless Oda presses for one. I think Toei will just release a movie from time to time.