Manga Discussion Solo Leveling

What do you think about this?

Personally I love the art, the mangaka is doing an awesome job in his adaptation of the novel, yet the plot is awful: the MC starts weak but in the span of a few chapters gets his cheat like skill which makes the story become in no time the chronicles of how he destroys villains stronger and stronger putting in pretty much no effort (it is a bit like Sword Art Online). Yet I have seen a lot of people love this story and I am surprised I haven't seen a thread about it here yet. So do you know this manhwa and if so what do you think about it?

Last edited:
Yeah, it is nice but if it is done once in a while and with a bit of style it is awesome (example Goku vs Freeza: He loses on all the line yet he manages to becomes ssj, which was foreshadowed a lot in that arc, and destroys Freeza). If it is done with every single enemy and always with the same pattern it becomes extremely boring (in SL we have seen pretty much the same pattern for every enemy: the enemy is revealed, it is unimaginably strong and everybody is powerless vs this enemy, then when he is about to kill everybody the badass MC steps in and humiliates the enemy while the bystanders praise him), there is no thrill, we know from the start that the MC will humiliate his rival (it is happening this arc again, and it will happen the next and so on). It is a bit like if when Luffy step in WCI he went for BM, fought and beat her without struggling too much.

Tried to get into this but couldn't just like Demon Slayer, same old tropes everywhere you look

Its like hey look another series with demons and crap or another isekai type

:lusalty:

Yeah, it is nice but if it is done once in a while and with a bit of style it is awesome (example Goku vs Freeza: He loses on all the line yet he manages to becomes ssj, which was foreshadowed a lot in that arc, and destroys Freeza). If it is done with every single enemy and always with the same pattern it becomes extremely boring (in SL we have seen pretty much the same pattern for every enemy: the enemy is revealed, it is unimaginably strong and everybody is powerless vs this enemy, then when he is about to kill everybody the badass MC steps in and humiliates the enemy while the bystanders praise him), there is no thrill, we know from the start that the MC will humiliate his rival (it is happening this arc again, and it will happen the next and so on). It is a bit like if when Luffy step in WCI he went for BM, fought and beat her without struggling too much.
if i'm not mistaken, we've had this kind of argument in orojackson about is it still thrilling if the MC is known to be stronger than every enemy? and i said that there's still ways to make the story interesting even if the MC is stronger than the enemy?

i guess i was not considering that the MC would be stronger in every arc and beat the enemy in same predictable story pattern for each arc.

now in the Ant King arc i feel really bored about how weak the Ant King is compared to the MC. plus, the art quality is really declining compared to the early chapters, it results in a mediocre manhwa overall.

why do manhwas' art go into decline the further the chapters go? i found it in webtoon's Lookism and i found it in Solo Levelling.

@uyuu Indeed, the new chapter come out some hours ago and the ant king was one shotted like fodder while trying to flee (usual shame on the enemy who seemed invincible some chapters ago who is nothing vs our MC), also the shame that the MC has to do it fast in order to heal the girl.

Anyway yes we had this discussion back in Oro yup.

Honestly I would accept the manhwa (if the story was good) even if the art was average (HxH is one of the best out there and Togashi is almost trolling with his level of art sometimes).

Again what I find irritating is why average stories like this get such an awesome artist to draw them, if the story picked up was up to the artist we could have get another One punch man (the original work has trashy art which was made top notch in the 2nd version aka the one we know more) also how this ant king was meant exactly to be some kind of mirror to Meruem from HxH... just to be played this dirty like every other villain.

@uyuu Indeed, the new chapter come out some hours ago and the ant king was one shotted like fodder while trying to flee (usual shame on the enemy who seemed invincible some chapters ago who is nothing vs our MC), also the shame that the MC has to do it fast in order to heal the girl.

Honestly I would accept the manhwa (if the story was good) even if the art was average (HxH is one of the best out there and Togashi is almost trolling with his level of art sometimes).

Again what I find irritating is why average stories like this get such an awesome artist to draw them, if the story picked up was up to the artist we could have get another One punch man (the original work has trashy art which was made top notch in the 2nd version aka the one we know more) also how this ant king was meant exactly to be some kind of mirror to Meruem from HxH... just to be played this dirty like every other villain.
i remember the first chapters, when the MC first experienced despair due to the giant statues. That was truly exciting and really gave tension to the readers.

And the moment where i was the most excited in reading this manhwa, was the sequence of battle and struggle against Igris (The Red Knight), how difficult the MC was to win that fight. I'm a fan of the situation where the previously weaker MC finally surpassing the boss in the climax of the fight. I didn't get that in that fight but it was okay. even if the MC was still weaker than Igriz after the fight, it was still exciting since there is the struggle aspect. But, what excited me more about MC vs Igris compared to the statues' situation, because there was still a big pay off for the MC (even if the MC didn't surpass his opponent at that time), which was the revealing of the MC's job/class and the cool moment of summoning for the first time.

I actually hope for similar situation against the Ant King (Beru, its from Meruem right?). After strolling through opponents, the MC finally meet a difficult challenge in Demon King, but then he meets a much stronger and painful hurdle he couldn't reach, The Ant King. A difficult and exhausting, life-and-death futile struggle where the MC knows that the Ant is much stronger, but then after two or three chapters for example, followed by a pay off (power-up or other game mechanics) that the MC capitalizes on to finally surpass the The Ant King.

Imo this is the formula to heighten tension in a saga climax, before finally elevating the MC to a world-wide fame and strength, and again strolling and buldozing through enemies. There should be at least arcs of difficulty even though there would be quite a few leisure arcs, otherwise there's no satisfaction in reaching the payoff if there's no struggle.

But this...what is this? Why did the strongest villain receive the same, even worse treatment compared to the previous arc bosses? Even Baran the Demon King receive much better respect storyline and portrayal-wise. It's just a spoiled wish-fulfillment at this point, the supposed strongest oppponent wasn't even respectable.

I agree with you regarding the imbalance between art and story. This level of art quality should be reserved for a similar level of storyline and characterization. I'd rather see the manhwa artist switch to continue HxH instead with Togashi's guidance, remake Attack on Titan with Isayama's guidance, or continues the manhwa Gosu (highly recommended art-wise and storyline-wise if you haven't read it) if the author falls sick again.

maybe its just like how Murata Yuusuke handle Onepunch Man. I truly think that story doesn't deserve Murata's art.

Last edited:
The art is phenomenal but yeah, i agree with the sentiment that the progression was way too fast and how the author creates situations in which MC is always overwhelmingly superior.
It´s superficial fun, nothing to think too much about, wish-fulfillment really describes it the best.
Post automatically merged:

That´s a matter of taste. Publishers simply task young artists to adapt fairly successful stories into a visual form, that´s it.
The fact that this artist happens to have such a incredible style is luck.
Solo Leveling the novel was not that successful.

The MC himself physically is already way past S class, and then he has several S class fighters as shadows.
We will have to wait how the five S+ classes from the other countries hold up compared to him (those that cleared S class dungeons) but i would not hold my hopes up.

Plus there is the danger that his father talked about.

Last edited:
I like this series very much. It's simple and straight forward. He fights, he levels. The only thing that is and will be a problem, is the power creep. But holy moly that art.

Last chapter was a bit weird. A lot of introductions to new characters and a bit of world building. But in a vague way.

I wonder when Jin woo's dad is going to steal the show.

The only "isekai" done right. It's a brilliant series

If anyone's read the novels, you know crazy shit is going down in S2! Someone please let me know when S2 starts its serialization

I really loved part one, so much so that I went ahead and read the light novel that covered the rest of the story. It's a good one for sure, but the Manwha I really love right now that I'd love to see get the anime treatment is Weak Hero. Grey Yeon is my spirit animal.

The only "isekai" done right. It's a brilliant series

If anyone's read the novels, you know crazy shit is going down in S2! Someone please let me know when S2 starts its serialization
It's started back up a couple months ago, I believe the first 10-12 chapters of part 2 are already out.

The climax of the fight Sung Jin-Woo vs Hawaii shirt guy will have to wait next week sadly :josad:
It's such a shame, I wanted to post about SL hype moments before getting my new Zoro tag since I intend to change my avatar profile to celebrate it ... well nevermind

The climax of the fight Sung Jin-Woo vs Hawaii shirt guy will have to wait next week sadly :josad:
It's such a shame, I wanted to post about SL hype moments before getting my new Zoro tag since I intend to change my avatar profile to celebrate it ... well nevermind
To be honest, I’m glad:yearight::yearight:
My heart would have not been able to support the hype from the One Piece chapter + the hype of the « Solo leveKing »:hurry::hurry::hurry: