Controversial Some of these panels got me concerned.

What's going on here?

• Oda's wrists are destroyed

• Oda dementia arc

• Oda get iPad

• badly upscaled scans, OP is fucking stupid

Results are only viewable after voting.
To preface, this is not a thread where I cherrypick tiny parts of panels to dunk on Oda for bad art.

I was struggling to make sense of what I saw in some of the background elements of these panels. I know some of the recent chapters are undercooked, but those chapters don't look like this. This doesn't look like a human error.

Really soak this one in, not just luffy but the linework on the giants. I wanted to know if I was being unfair so I went back a bit, and even just two chapters ago there's nothing like this.
Even in very small and sketchy panels, Oda still clearly has excellent control of a pen:

And while I won't post them here, the unfinished chapters like 1097 are pretty well put-together, although almost none of the inking is done, so you can't really compare.

1117 is the earliest I'm seeing eerily bad linework popping up:

The way I see it this can mean one of two things:
1. Oda has a tremor and can't ink he comic anymore. Sad!
2. Oda & friends are playing with AI.

I think it's AI, using the finished sketches to try and generate an inked and cleaned version. It's not every page or every panel either.

Part of that is just how it looks, how the errors don't follow naturally from the penstrokes. If you know you know.
Another part of it is this RELEASE SCHEDULE. I started noticing these when he switched back to weekly. The guy's body is fucking trashed, why would he suddenly be able to do weekly?

Now, why not have an assistant do the inking? This was my first thought. Wouldn't you get a better result? Well, say Oda finishes sketching like a day before the deadline. What if assistant-kun can't reasonably ink the whole thing in the time left? You might get tempted.
Jump was willing to release unfinished chapters. In the eyes of the publisher, a finished one is not worth a week delay, and OP is too much of a draw to switch to biweekly.

All done, go ahead and call me a schizo now

Even if he is, does it matter?

AI is a tool. It's how it's used that determines it's value.

Morons are against for looking at art and learning like a student in an art gallery. The argument being on lolarttheft.

But if professional artists use it to supplement their own work or help them, then there's nothing wrong with that. Stop shaming progress.

Are you talking about this ?
All of the above. The pistols in the second image are pretty glaring, it looks like an AI struggling to interpret the overlapping lines of the muzzle and the flash in an underlying sketch. I'm not sure it's physically possible for a person to draw a gun like that.

Also some of the quivering lines. Oda has a reasonably steady hand and if he didn't, he could hand it off to someone who does

All of the above. The pistols in the second image are pretty glaring, it looks like an AI struggling to interpret the overlapping lines of the muzzle and the flash in an underlying sketch. I'm not sure it's physically possible for a person to draw a gun like that.

Also some of the quivering lines. Oda has a reasonably steady hand and if he didn't, he could hand it off to someone who does
Okham razor : Let's avoid to create complication where its not needed.

What you see in the first image (the wobble in the line) is NOT something new. This is something that Oda has been doing for a long time with background characters or subjects that are less important.

The simplest explanation is that he most probably don't have a clear line work with those type of subject. So his inking often appears as sketchy. The wobbly lines are most often probably due to the bad quality of the cleaning of the scan or a moment where Oda wasn't very fast to draw the line. But this is part of his style, again, this is not new; and I don't think he has a choice if he wants to deliver one chapter per week.

Those panels are supposed to be very small so its really not a big issue. And if you look at other most impactfull panels, you can see that the lines are clear and very well controlled.

Same thing for the pistol, this is most probably an artefact due to the cleaning (or the absence of cleaning) of the scan. You would have needed to be here during the Thriller Bark period when scans were clean like sh*t.

No AI here, you would see a lot more artefacts and weird things happen.

What you see in the first image (the wobble in the line) is NOT something new. This is something that Oda has been doing for a long time with background characters or subjects that are less important.
I'll concede that wobbly lines in smaller panels and bg characters isn't strong evidence for AI, but that's not what got me looking either. Stuff like this is more of a tell:

The white outline around the mustache here is pretty unnatural, something that can result from an AI trying to convert overlapping lines in a pencil sketch to solid black. If you look at the first image in the thread of Bonnie, you'll see the same issue, where the AI can't decide which overlapping lines in a sketch should form the contours of the inked version.

EDIT:
actually your point is taken that it could be bad AI cleaning or upscaling by the scanners. I'll take a look at the official 1118 scans.
:josad:

Last edited:
No.

What you see here is simply Oda putting white lines to render the drawing more readable. This is a common drawing technique

I showed you and made you an example here.
I understand this technique but it didn't look (to me, anyway) like that was what was being done with that mustache.
The mustache actually looks much cleaner in the official scan so I'll gladly admit I'm wrong on that one.

TheKnightOfTheSea

𝕷𝖔𝖗𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝕸𝖔𝖔𝖓'𝖘 𝕾𝖕𝖆𝖜𝖓
Yes, of course. What surprises me is that he used it for such a simple pose of Shen walking forward. He does way more complex poses weekly.
i think for the Shen case it was likely just him experimenting

or maybe he saw that fans noticed that Shen looked skinnier than his usual self and he made that tweet to explain it

I understand this technique but it didn't look (to me, anyway) like that was what was being done with that mustache.
The mustache actually looks much cleaner in the official scan so I'll gladly admit I'm wrong on that one.
It's crucial to use the official releases for your analysis. Cleaners from the illegal publishers may use ai or upscale the lower quality raws.
I'm pretty sure some Wano chapters already had those wobbly lines that looked like Oda struggles with controlling his hand not only with finer details. There is one panel that has Luffy's eyes, mouth and nose halfway besides the outline of his face, I don't remember what chapter it was tho but there's no way this was an ai mistake. It looked like how a person with astigmatism draws small images when they're in a hurry and not paying attention well enough.
I believe the art issues are a combination of eye problems, last minute drawing and Oda's overall poor health.