Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gorosei Informer

"oh shit, how do I make this character likeable? I know. Fuck up his childhood".
Hahahaha, that's so fucked up and morbid but so completely true! Just like Oda's backstories even! Makes me think of how talent shows and the media exaggerate sad stories and make them sound as horrible as possible, Oda seems to be capitalising on the same thing with OP ofc, going for the sensationalist/melodramatic route.

I mean I was revisiting Sanji's original/Zeff focused backstory recently and that was extremely dark and tragic alone but then we got the "extended backstory" with Germa and such ofc and it's some of the most intense doubling down and misery saturation I've seen. Starting to feel like certain tropes called "Darkness Induced Audience Apathy"/Too Bleak, Stopped Caring."

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooBleakStoppedCaring

I definitely remember feeling like that especially with the wombo combo of Law's backstory, Law getting shot repeatedly by Doflamingo, Doflamingo's backstory, what happened to Rocinante, the overwhelming despair of Dressrosa, Rebecca's and Kyros' backstory and so on.

I've suspected there's still more to see for Luffy and Nami for example, there's a lot of unanswered questions for both and the same could apply to some other SHs and does with the likes of Brook, Sanji, Robin, Franky especially imo. I can just see Oda gleefully salivating at writing and showcasing more sadistically depressing backstories for characters both new and old in future lol.

God knows how horrific Kaido's backstory will be IF we do get it ofc and going by how dark Big Mom's was too! And then there's Xebec who has that potential too...As well as Kid and Killer imo.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Status
Not open for further replies.