Status
Not open for further replies.
Can u send the link?

I already wrote about how Oden's basically a symbol for old boomer Japanese values. And Oda is lowkey giving them the middle finger while trying to somewhat be respectful.

Was just talking about it in the chapter thread too.
Thanks Akai. I enjoyed reading your posts ^ as well.

This is the link btw:

You pretty much summed the video with your Oden analysis tho.

Reading your post + video, I gotta say, Oda is both a genius for Wano (all the complexities of character writing (Oden), birth of new character arcs (Momo/Yamato)) & an idiot for the influx of irrelevant side characters taking away from the plot & multiple plotlines with no end goal in sight.

Wano arc overall has been a series of great moments for character/world views and building and several bursts of awe and profundity with the highest highs the story has ever seen. But it suffers from the weekly fatigue and long nauseous injections of frustrating plotlines that (for now) seem like the lowest lows yet. Quick question though, do you like Yamato's character?

But I didn't know there was so much history from Japanese culture (unironically lol) incorporated throughout the History of Wano Country and the arc itself. It was definitely a shift in my paradigm to see how Japanese readers felt directly with characters/plot. I also didn't know Oden was thaat significant for Wano and Japanese readers given his core character beliefs. At the end of the day, I guess our frustrations (as ppl non native to Japan) is simply that we can't break that cultural barrier to better understand messages the arc & Oda is trying to convey.
Yes, this is the reason people here hate Oden. They don't understand what Oda wants to say through this character.

Peroroncino

🅷🅰🅻🅰 🅼🅰🅳🆁🅸🅳
Good, I hope your mood is on the upswing for the rest of Wano. Cause if not, watching Canada destroy Brazil in the World Cup later this year might be too much for ya to handle :yasu:
I think that thrashing man utd took today messed up your head.
Put that brazil that lost 7x1 to germany against current Canada and we still win 3x0 at least :endthis:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Thanks Akai. I enjoyed reading your posts ^ as well.

This is the link btw:

You pretty much summed the video with your Oden analysis tho.

Reading your post + video, I gotta say, Oda is both a genius for Wano (all the complexities of character writing (Oden), birth of new character arcs (Momo/Yamato)) & an idiot for the influx of irrelevant side characters taking away from the plot & multiple plotlines with no end goal in sight.

Wano arc overall has been a series of great moments for character/world views and building and several bursts of awe and profundity with the highest highs the story has ever seen. But it suffers from the weekly fatigue and long nauseous injections of frustrating plotlines that (for now) seem like the lowest lows yet. Quick question though, do you like Yamato's character?
The story needed a badass protagonist chick to be honest. I know Robin and Nami are badass in their own right, but someone that can hang with top tiers.

As for her character, I'm a fan so far. Albeit, only if she develops how I envision. Her arc is a metaphor for "stuck in the past" boomers because they haven't been exposed to any other way. She's only known Oden or Kaido, so she chose Oden. I believe Luffy will help her move on from "being" Oden.

Tho don't tell the Carrot CHADs in the Next Crewmember thread that :josad:

Carrot is cool too tho :kata:

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Yes, this is the reason people here hate Oden. They don't understand what Oda wants to say through this character.
I understand the barriers. I understand the cultural differences.

But not every cultural aspect of Japan is something that I view on a positive light due to my own values, beliefs, etc.
That's why I like Usopp telling Kin and Kiku that their death wishes are extremely dumb.
:finally:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Not necessarily true to be honest. I know people that understand it 100% and still hate him lol

It's all about what type of story you enjoy at the end of the day.
I think that thrashing man utd took today messed up your head.
Put that brazil that lost 7x1 to germany against current Canada and we still win 3x0 at least :endthis:
If we're in the same group, we gotta make an avy bet :suresure:

I understand the barriers. I understand the cultural differences.

But not every cultural aspect of Japan is something that I view on a positive light due to my own values, beliefs, etc.
That's why I like Usopp telling Kin and Kiku that their death wishes are extremely dumb.
:finally:
That was the point of Usopp saying it.
It was an outsiders perspective on how Wano/Japanese people are. (Hyperbolized ofc)

Peroroncino

🅷🅰🅻🅰 🅼🅰🅳🆁🅸🅳
Not necessarily true to be honest. I know people that understand it 100% and still hate him lol

It's all about what type of story you enjoy at the end of the day.

If we're in the same group, we gotta make an avy bet :suresure:
we obviously will but the WC is in november let's do it then cause if we do it now we'll forget

Status
Not open for further replies.