How do you guys feel about wonder egg?

• It's good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OK

• Bad

• Total voters
The Winter 2021 season has just started and it's already one of the most iconic seasons in anime history

An abundance of highly anticipated sequels airing with grand positive reception from the fans, such as: AOT S2, TPN S2 and Re: Zero Season 2.

While also generating MANY engaging controversies. Sucking in anime fans all over the globe, into vast debates over topics such as AOT's contentious CGI, crunchyrolls incomprehensible production of Ex-Arm, and Redo of healer's disturbing (rape) subject matter!

Regardless of how you feel about the quality of the anime this season, we all have to agree on how important this season is for uniting the anime community at large.

***HOWEVER***, there are a great deal of new unique anime left in the dust of a stampede of sequels. Urasekai picnic, SK8 the infinity, Kemono Jihen and many more... But I'm not here to talk about why you should be watching those anime; I already covered them in previous post
My mission today is bring attention to one of the most poetically beautiful hidden gems out there; the dark horse of the season, A.K.A "Wonder Egg The Priority"!

https://preview.redd.it/i5wr9i9rrmc...bp&s=539a20219dd91ffab4345c5f8583bcfdb77c8def

The perfect way to describe Wonder Egg The Priority in one word, is to define the core of the show; "ABNORMAL"! Wonder Egg is NOT an easy show to digest, you will be lost in it's gorgeous animation mixed perfectly with it's astonishly fantastic aesthetics.

So, I'm going to have to peel off a layer one by one to unveil it's curious nature. And remember, it's only two episodes, so these are just my impressions; I encourage you to respond with your own thoughts on what this show is truly about. Now let's dive in shall we!

AI OHTO

Ai Oito
Wonder Egg follows an aloof [eye-catching girl]( ) named Oito in her everyday life; everything seems seemingly normal, almost boring even. However, the one thing that keeps her mundane life interesting is the [egg]( )***; "***just an ordinary hard boiled egg with no special qualities at all". Therefore, when she chooses to step out of her comfort zone, hell erupts! The scenery around her changes from your average nightlife street to an [eerie high school void of life]( ).

Then we witness something crucial to the theme of the anime; Look at these two faceless distorted students creepily laughing as they vandalize someone's locker; as AI runs in fear, she's mocked by a disembodied voice saying "If you see someone being bullied, just look away", laughing as it's humorous, almost as if she's mocking AI.

Scary!
Remember this scene; it's very important in explaining the core morale's of Wonder Egg. Throughout Ai's adventures, she meets multiple girls (this show just oozes yuri) who all share a similar trait; "DEPRESSION"! Each girl suffers internally from some past trauma caused by their peers. Bullying, psychological abuse, and toxic relationships seem to be the core source of trauma.

And throughout Ai's adventures with these girls. We witness her grow in the aftermath of tragedy. Ai starts off as a timid, indecisive, recluse. But quickly "develops" into an assertive powerful women who chooses to fight for her friends. However, there is an unsettling thought in the back of my head, leading me to believe that her "growth" is fake!

friend

Ai grows "too fast" for me. Pay attention to her interactions with Koito in the flashbacks. Ai is seemingly ignoring the bullying her friend is subjected to; only for koito to forgive her because this is her "struggle alone". We witness Ai returning to her reclusive shell dismissing Koito as not her friend; then we learn that Ai herself is being bullied as well for her strange eyes. Thus even as koito shows Ai kindness and even offers to be her friend, AI turns her down cold heartily.

Awwww
AI is not a piece of shit, she's your standard bullied girl pushed into a corner, concluding that nobody cares about her, and if she avoids other bullied students, she'll feel better because at least she's not "them"...

Then "BAM", the grand reveal happens as she is reminded of Koito's suicide (not linking the dead body; will make some people sick, watch my video if you really care) as she slowly creeps over the balcony, sending her in a traumatic shock!

However, what happens next is even more unsettling. Ai is resting apon a statue supposedly representing Koitos grave. So far, each friend she has "saved" has transformed into a similar statue, hinting that all of these girls committed suicide after a distressing experience. Next a disturbing disembodied voice that has been guiding her since the beginning, promised that she can save her friends from the grave, if she slays more monsters.

creepy
This sounds too good to be true doesn't it guys? Gives me major madoka magica vibes with kyubey and the magical girls. Especially considering Ai befriends Neiru, another girl with similar powers on a quest to revive her sister after she failed to save her. Now that you think about it, Ai feels REALLY similar to madoka.

madoka
Both characters are very lighthearted aloof girls that sought out the life of a fun magical girl, like you see in other anime. Contrasting the dark serious tone of their respective anime. Both contain their emotions in an attempt to be the source of joy for their pals. In madoka's case, her negative feelings eventually overpower her, birthing the creation of a horrifying demon that could end the world. I wouldn't be surprised if the same type of plot twist happens in Wonder Egg.

magical girl

And Madoka Magica is not the only media Wonder Egg reminds me of; it's just one egg (no pun intended) in a large basket of goodies! However, I'm not going to go in depth as my madoka magica comparison, because this essay is already long enough and I MUCH more to say.

• Flip Flappers - Both feature a dou of wacky magical girls who venture though strange unsettling worlds
  • Junji Ito - The abstract horror visuals reminds me of Ito's horrifying yet beautiful designs
  • World of horror - The highschool being the core setting of evil, with junji ito inspirations
  • Persona 5 - The main character is subjected into a dangerous game, where they must fight against fate, while saving similar unfortunate people, and slaying creepy monsters
  • Serial experiments lain - Both main characters are recluses trapped in an unsettling world, consisting of their worst fears
ART/DIRECTION

Moving past the characters and the themes, it's time to take a look at the stunning animation and wonderfully crafted direction; forgive my ignorance on this topic. I don't have the necessary knowledge to explain how wonderful this show's production is in details. If you wish to add onto why/how the production is beautiful, feel free in the comments.

Nevertheless, Wonder Eggs animation feels like cloverworks was handed a movie budget, and decided to go wild! The art style is silky smooth, with a crisp coloring you would see in studio Gibi movies. The world is full of color, expressing it's vibrant style in luscious detail, that would even size the attention of a blind person; if that joke was uncalled for, let me know and I will remove it.

And the show is directed in such a directionless way that really enhances the uncanny horror; it's hard to explain, but it's just a feeling when you watch it. You feel lost throughout the show because of the weird transitions, and shaft-like directing. The best possible comparison is the madoka magica movies, with the abstract production that makes you feel like you're tripping on LSD...

Nevertheless, if you made it this far, consider giving it a try! It's only two episodes and if you like any of the comparisons I listed, or just want a unique horror anime, Wonder Egg The Priority is the show for you!