Character Discussion The Nine Dead Scabbards

Which Scabbard is Dying in this Raid?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First off, I don't know if this thread has been done yet. Second, I know most people don't give a shit about the Red Scabbards or Oden. But, if any of you do, which Scabbard(s)
  • Care Most For?
  • Care Least For?
  • Think Died?
  • Think will Live?
  • Had High Hopes For?
  • Surprised you the Most?
Scabbard I care most for is Inu. His stoicism and matching Jack for 5 days was hype. He has a cool head, and in the flashback he was level headed even after Oden's death.
Personally I cared least for Raizo. The "Raizo Is Safe" moment was cool, but his Ninja aesthetics, narrative focus, and power/abilities wasn't anything crazy.

I think Kiku, Ashura, Kanjuro, and Inu are dying, and maybe Kin'Emon. Kiku has a good ending, the curtains are closing for both her and Kanjuro. Kanjuro ended off with you were my best friend and Kiku ended off with the snow is melting, and given her epithet The Lingering Snow after a blizzard, it makes sense, for her to die now, since she senses the warmth of the Dawn. Inu is fucked up right now, has one peg leg, and his death would serve as a stabilizer for the Zou Kingdom, this way only Neko can rule, especially given that the Minks were expendable from the start.

Had high hopes for Denjiro. I still think he fights Sasaki with Franky. That would be a cool fight. But I expected him to be near Oden strong post 20 years of training and climbing up the Economic ladder. And he just isn't what I'd expected. I was surprised by Kanjuro, now given that he is very strong. Much stronger than the other scabbards, based off how he executed his role and collect his bodies, and captured Momonosuke all at the same time.

Thoughts?

@Lone Laguna Espada @bennbeckman @Jew D. Boy @Paperchampion23 @Doggo @TheKnightOfTheSea @Kuro Ashi @bennbeckman @Krusher1357 @KiriNigiri @Cinera @ArdynIzunia @Peroroncino @ZoroSlaysDragonTuna @etc.....

TheKnightOfTheSea

𝕷𝖔𝖗𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝕸𝖔𝖔𝖓'𝖘 𝕾𝖕𝖆𝖜𝖓
  • I care most for Neko and Inu, they have nice designs, cool personalities and seemed so powerful back in Zou.
  • I care least for Raizo for obvious reasons, he's just..... there.
  • I think Kiku and Kanjuro are dead. I want Kinemon to die, but I don't think it's happening. Ashura Doji and Inu will probably die soon.
  • Neko will live so he can lead the Minks, and Kawamatsu will live so he can meet either Fishmen. (Maybe we'll get a cover story about it?) Those are the only two guaranteed ones for me.
  • I had the highest hopes for Ashura and Denjiro. I thought they were both going to be opponents for Zoro. I was really impressed by them as antagonists, but at as allies their mid.
  • The one that surpassed my expectations was Kanjuro. I thought he was super weak, but now he seems to be the strongest Scabbard excluding the Sulong Dukes.

Knowing Oda, it's possible all of them will survive
But if he does really decide to kill some of them, i believe it should be like this:

If Wano is Saved & Freed from Kaido & back to Normal, then Kyoshiro should remain Yakuza Leader, Raizo replaces Fukurokuju, Minks should have only One Ruler, Izo accompanies Marco out of Wano & Kin'emon stays with New Shogun as their Bodyguard.

Also Kawamatsu should aim to go see Fishmen Island. This is why i believe the ones who should Die & have no role to fill going forward are Kiku, Ashura & Inurashi

I had High Hopes for Denjiro but got disappointed unless he proves himself now against Beasts Pirates
I care about them all equally, tbh none of them stood out for me & none of them was underwhelming, they are all acceptable
But maybe i'd hope Kin'emon stays since we got used to him (He basically became a Major Character & appeared for so long).
He is also the one i'd say surprised me the most & is very reliable & proved to be much more than the Kin'emon we met in Punk Hazard

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Cared the most - Kin’emon, Denjiro, Raizo, and Kiku. They all stayed loyal unlike another one of their comrades: Kin left his wife behind for 20 years to protect Momo; Denjiro became an entirely new person so he could infiltrate and undermine Orochi while watching over Hiyori; Raizo cried when he learned the lengths to which the minks went to protect him (and is a GOD DAMN NINJA COME ON); and Kiku is Kiku, how could you not love her??

Cared the least - Kanjuro and Ashura Doji. The former was boring fodder before revealing himself as the traitor, and while he’s been a lot cooler since then, I care even less about whether he lives or dies; the latter is just kinda...there, he’s supposed to be worth 1000 men but he has no personality and can’t do more than get a glancing blow off Kaido.

Who died? Probably none of them, unless Oda goes through with what he set up last chapter. Until he confirms anything on panel, OP logic dictates that near-death experiences are watered down past the point of reason.

Had super high hopes for Raizo and Kawamatsu, but we’ve gotten so little of each one and the focus has clearly shifted to Luffy and friends, so I’m not holding my breath anymore for cool shinobi tricks or kappa fighting styles.

None of them surprised me, honestly...they’re all tantalizing characters who might have benefited from being in any other arc, where Oda may have been able to flesh them out or give them more to do, but even in their own country, they’ve been portrayed as second- or third-stringers almost since Punk Hazard. In that regard, it’s par for the course since the timeskip - if they ain’t Luffy, they ain’t shit. At least one subset of fans in this community never goes hungry...

Kawamatsu will live so he can meet either Fishmen. (Maybe we'll get a cover story about it?) Those are the only two guaranteed ones for me.
:bamathink::christindeed:I actually didn't think about that going forwards. For any of them lol.

I had the highest hopes for Ashura and Denjiro. I thought they were both going to be opponents for Zoro. I was really impressed by them as antagonists, but at as allies their mid.
This would be hype. Just like with Kyros.

Who died? Probably none of them, unless Oda goes through with what he set up last chapter. Until he confirms anything on panel, OP logic dictates that near-death experiences are watered down past the point of reason.

None of them surprised me, honestly...they’re all tantalizing characters who might have benefited from being in any other arc, where Oda may have been able to flesh them out or give them more to do, but even in their own country, they’ve been portrayed as second- or third-stringers almost since Punk Hazard.
:josad: Kinda facts. This is the negatives of having 100 ish cast members for a single arc thats supposed to be a War arc but feels like a Looney Tunes Bugs Bunny shot in the butt.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
First off, I don't know if this thread has been done yet. Second, I know most people don't give a shit about the Red Scabbards or Oden. But, if any of you do, which Scabbard(s)
  • Care Most For?
  • Care Least For?
  • Think Died?
  • Think will Live?
  • Had High Hopes For?
Scabbard I care most for is Inu. His stoicism and matching Jack for 5 days was hype. He has a cool head, and in the flashback he was level headed even after Oden's death.
Personally I cared least for Raizo. The "Raizo Is Safe" moment was cool, but his Ninja aesthetics, narrative focus, and power/abilities wasn't anything crazy.

I think Kiku, Ashura, Kanjuro, and Inu are dying, and maybe Kin'Emon. Kiku has a good ending, the curtains are closing for both her and Kanjuro. Kanjuro ended off with you were my best friend and Kiku ended off with the snow is melting, and given her epithet The Lingering Snow after a blizzard, it makes sense, for her to die now, since she senses the warmth of the Dawn. Inu is fucked up right now, has one peg leg, and his death would serve as a stabilizer for the Zou Kingdom, this way only Neko can rule, especially given that the Minks were expendable from the start.

Had high hopes for Denjiro. I still think he fights Sasaki with Franky. That would be a cool fight. But I expected him to be near Oden strong post 20 years of training and climbing up the Economic ladder. And he just isn't what I'd expected. I was surprised by Kanjuro, now given that he is very strong. Much stronger than the other scabbards, based off how he executed his role and collect his bodies, and captured Momonosuke all at the same time.

Thoughts?

@Lone Laguna Espada @bennbeckman @Jew D. Boy @Paperchampion23 @Doggo @TheKnightOfTheSea @Kuro Ashi @bennbeckman @Krusher1357 @KiriNigiri @Cinera @ArdynIzunia @Peroroncino @ZoroSlaysDragonTuna @etc.....
I like the Dukes, but I hate them being scabbards. So idk how to talk about them on this post.
I like Kinemon.
Denjiro was better as an enemy.
Kawamatsu is fine.
I liked Kiku. I would have felt her death a lot last chapter if Oda didn't screw any kind of death experiences during this manga.
Raizo is fine I guess.
Kanjuro betrayal I think it was an easy route. Better make the scabbard that looks ugly and ridiculous the baddie. Despite that, I liked Evil Kanjuro a lot. A true mfer until the bitter end.
Ashura Douji is fine.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
:josad: Kinda facts. This is the negatives of having 100 ish cast members for a single arc thats supposed to be a War arc but feels like a Looney Tunes Bugs Bunny shot in the butt.
Yeah, remember those random samurai and other Wano prisoners who he kept featuring without dialogue? I could have sworn several of them were gonna burst to prominence once the raid began, but...as much as I love Yamato, wouldn’t it have made sense to introduce HER earlier instead? If we were gonna ignore anyone who wasn’t a Scabbard or Beast Pirate, what was all that about??

Yeah, remember those random samurai and other Wano prisoners who he kept featuring without dialogue? I could have sworn several of them were gonna burst to prominence once the raid began, but...as much as I love Yamato, wouldn’t it have made sense to introduce HER earlier instead? If we were gonna ignore anyone who wasn’t a Scabbard or Beast Pirate, what was all that about??
Yamato placement is fine. Cuz its Kaido son/daughter, it makes sense to be in the main War arc.
In Udon we were already introduced to Hyuogoro, Kawamatsu, Caribou, Queen, and thousands of imposing Samurai.
Between then and the Raid, I don't know where Yamato would fit.

Plus, we got introduced to her almost immediately, snap of the finger. And spent what like 20-30 chapters with her? Thats solid imo. And we are just beginning.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
  • Care Most For?
  • Care Least For?
  • Think Died?
  • Think will Live?
  • Had High Hopes For?
1. Kin'emon. The one who took care of Momo the most and taught Zoro a useful technique. Also a true respectable leader despite his lack of power.
2. Kawamatsu, didn't strike me so well impressive compared to the others, conversely.
3. Kiku most likely.
4. Kin'emon might make it as well as almost any other. Or he may very well die.
5. Kin'emon himself.
6. Probably Kin'emon himself.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Kin'emon and Kawamatsu. Kin is easily the most well developed of the Scabbards, and his moments of loyalty hit the hardest. Kawamatsu is simply precious, and his little story with Onimaru was touching. I just want to give him a big hug. Plus I'm a sucker for Kasa wearing Samurai.

Raizo. He barely has a character outside of being a walking ninja cliche/parody.

None for now. I think the three "deaths" Oda laid on us are just for shock value. It's still possible we get a genuine death scene.

Potentially all, but if I had to bet: The Dukes, Izo, Kiku, Kawamatsu, Ashura, Raizo.

Ashura Douji. His story and role just fell flat, for me, based on my expectations, and he disappeared into the background as soon as it ended.

Kin'emon. Never thought I'd love him so much. He tries very hard to make good on Oden and those who count on him, even when he falls short so many times, and the pressure is too much. He stands his ground like a real Samurai.

Think Kinemon, Kiku, Ashura, Kanjuro and one of the dukes will die, probably Inu, as the night side of the Minks have already losed Pedro and Inu fight with Jack have a death flag vibe.

Kawamatsu is the one i think is most safe, he stayed alone taking care of Hiyori, them lost her and stayed in prison for 13y, the guy have already suffered a lot. When Hiyori and Momo restore the Kozuki as rullers of Wano, Raizo will become the leader of Kozuki Oniwabanshu, Denjiro the Yakuza boss and Neko the Duke of Zou.

Theres Izo left, he could die, but i would like If he stay in Wano as a retainer of Kozuki again.

I care the most for the Dukes, Kinemon, Denjiro and Kiku. Kanjuro was also pretty good.

I care least for Ashura Doji and the Kappa. They never interested me.
I think Ashura, Inu

I think Neku, Raizo and Denjiro will make it out of this alive. One of the Dukes remaining to rule Zou seems fitting. Denjiro doesn't have ant reason to die at this point and Raizo is in a low-stakes battle (it's intense for him but I doubt he'll get fatally injured, especially when he made it out alive from Kaido).

Kinemon and Kanjuro surprised me the most. Kinemon in his battles against Kaido; being capable of harming Kaido then getting brutalised in that newer chapter. Kanjuro surprised me as he became a lot more interesting after he switched sides.

I like the most :
- kinemon for obvious reason
- Neko and Inu : even after losing their limbs, in a brink of death, their race being almost anhilated, they still doesn't betray their comorade. Thats a top notch loyalty

I care the least :
- Ashura Douji

I had high hope for
- Kawamatsu : finally we have another strong fishman aside of Jimbei. Jack probably is a fishman as well but it isn't confirmed yet.