Questions & Mysteries The Possible Meaning Behind Black Maria's Song

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
In 992, Black Maria proceeded to play a song that mentioned two people wishing to unite, but unable
due to circumstances.

To start off, I believe there are only two pairs who fit the meaning behind her song.

The first being Momonosuke and Hiyori.

Momo/Hiyori

Since the beginning stages of Wano, there has been a subplot brewing between these two's reunion. However, they refrain from meeting as it would distract from the tasks at hand.

Considering the criteria of their reunion. "A Snow Night, Beneath The Light Of The Moon." There are only two locations which match that can description. They are the top of the dome of Onigashima and the middle of the Ringo region.

Of the two possibilities, Ringo is the more likely. This is because of three reasons:

1. Hiyori is presently not on Onigashima, nor is it feasible to insert a tearful reunion during the heat of battle.
2. This involves another idea of mine that the reason the battle is taking place during the night is because the literal dawn of Wano will coincide with Kaido's defeat. Therefore no moonlight hanging over the snowy terrain.
3. There is a significance to Hiyori and Ringo that I will actually elaborate right now.

After her "execution" as Komurasaki, Hiyori was heading to what looks to be Ringo in 937. This could be due to Kamazou luring her there, but then why head for Ringo specifically? Seems to coincidental. What supports this idea that she was deliberately going to Ringo was due to her last whereabouts being Ringo, according Kanjuro's source to Orochi, saying she's somewhere in the north.

The only regions that are to the north of the Capital are Kuri, Kibi, and Ringo. She isn't in Kuri for she wants to avoid meeting Momo and the others that are there, Kibi is depicted as a wasteland with no hospitality to speak of. Ringo was the place Hiyori separated from Kawamatsu and Zoro.

What I am getting at is, that Hiyori was possibly consulted by Denjiro to head for Ringo. After her fake death, she needed a place to hide so as to not be discovered by the enemy. In various instances, she went and stayed in Ringo. Meaning the most probable place she could await Momonosuke would be in Ringo. And if Momo needs to know, there are both Denjiro and Kawamatsu to tell him his sister's whereabouts.

Kin'emon/O-Tsuru

Now, for the second pair it could be Kin'emon and O-Tsuru. While not as a prominent a reunion as Momo and Hiyori's, it too has been brewing in the background since the early stages of Wano.

And unlike Momo and Hiyori's, this reunion can be feasibly suggested as romantic. However, this isn't strong evidence as Black Maria's song was interpreted as "romantic" by a background character, and likely red herring to divert attention away from the truth.

This is because there's little reason to suspect Kin and Tsuru's meeting will happen on a snowy moonlight. Mainly because Tsuru lives in the Kuri region and that would be the first place Kin would go to meet her.

Though according to Kin'emon, Okobore town where Tsuru resides was burned down, Tsuru's fate a mystery.

It's plausible someone rescued Tsuru and the other citizens of Okobore to someplace safe, but there is nothing to imply that place would be Ringo, the only region that consistently snows, but it could be possible that it's so.

One final thing that could prevent Tsuru and Kin's meeting from being the one Maria's song hinted to would be a possible Kin'emon death. Kin'emon and the other Scabbards bave resigned themselves to death in the name of defeating Kaido. If it that were to be carried out, then Tsuru will never reunite with Kin'emon.

So in conclusion, I believe these two reunions are what the song could possibly imply, though I lean more on the Kozuki siblings being referred over the happily married couple, but I still believe the latter will get a sweet moment.

Anyway, what do you take away from Maria's song? Please share down below.

Last edited:

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️
Yeah I think you're right about Momo/Hiyori. Given the similar ages, professions, and close proximity of The Flower Capital and Onigashima, Maria and Hiyori have to be familiar with one another. Hiyori could have told Maria about Momo which might explain why she was extra sympathetic towards him after Kanjuro beat him up.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Yeah I think you're right about Momo/Hiyori. Given the similar ages, professions, and close proximity of The Flower Capital and Onigashima, Maria and Hiyori have to be familiar with one another. Hiyori could have told Maria about Momo which might explain why she was extra sympathetic towards him after Kanjuro beat him up.
Yeah, I was thinking there could be a connection.

It's also plausible to say that Black Maria is probably already in cahoots with Denjiro/Hiyori due to them being in the same line of work.
Black Maria's sympathy towards Momo earlier could already be telling of the fact that she knows who he is and hence why her song could literally be meant for Momo and Hiyori meeting soon.

@SmokedOut similar thoughts to a tee, damn

Last edited:

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
It's also plausible to say that Black Maria is probably already in cahoots with Denjiro/Hiyori due to them being in the same line of work.
Black Maria's sympathy towards Momo earlier could already be telling of the fact that she knows who he is and hence why her song could literally be meant for Momo and Hiyori meeting soon.
Yup. I was coming from the perspective that her song was metaphoric foreshadowing, but it's also plausible she has amicable ties to Denjiro and Hiyori.

Edit: What could support the latter is that Denjiro was on friendly terms with Sasaki and chose to spare him, and even lectured Sasaki about the Kozuki history, possibly to convert him. P1 always referred to him as "Boss" in a respectable manner. Precedence he has formed a good relationship with the group. Since Maria appears the least hostile of the Flying Six, she may actually have a deeper bond with Denjiro since she seems so agreeable.

Last edited:

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️

@SmokedOut similar thoughts to a tee, damn